PDA

View Full Version : Apogee GT Bowed vs. Stepped

nikhsub1
10-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Well guys, I finally finished 5 runs of the stepped apogee GT, now I need to finish the Enzo block. Anyhow, the results are good and the stepped base does as I suspected it would. My steps are 24mm but I believe that 23mm would be ideal. I am very curious to see how a flat fuzion fares.. Anyhow, I had hoped that the step would minimize mount variation but it is not the case, I don't know why yet but hopefully it is just me being over careful on the mounts, IDK. As I said, the best recorded temp for the GT is with the step and NOT the bow, so I am happy about that. I suck at graphs so please excuse.

MotF Bane
10-11-2007, 04:06 PM
That's a strange alternation of temperatures...

kuhla
10-11-2007, 05:23 PM
What values does the X-axis represent? Hours? I'm assuming the Y-axis is temps?

MegadetHCl
10-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Maybe the X-axis represents different block mount attempts.

GrimReaperGuy
10-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Y-axis is evidently temperatures, given that nikhsub said he did 5 runs and the X-axis goes up to five, I think it's safe to say the X-axis is run.

nikhsub1
10-11-2007, 05:32 PM

:up:

Jedda
10-11-2007, 05:48 PM

Nik's afternoon.:D

Martinm210
10-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Imteresting...awesome work!

So the bow when mouted sligtly off axis, just rolls the concentrated load off center but you still get a slightly distributed area.

Where the step would put all the load on the outer edge along a very thin line so you get a greater variability between mounts.

Now you just need a mounting system that would eliminate the ability to pull the block off axis...need a single hinged point of force at the center of the block:up:

pak
10-11-2007, 06:14 PM
y=delta?

--pak

leo_bsb
10-11-2007, 06:48 PM
well, if the X axis is mounts attempts than I should say that I see no improvement. If you look the average temperatures both blocks achieved the same average.
Without some real precise equipment is hard to tell that you 1oC spread is really a improvement.

Looker
10-11-2007, 07:10 PM
well, if the X axis is mounts attempts than I should say that I see no improvement. If you look the average temperatures both blocks achieved the same average.
Without some real precise equipment is hard to tell that you 1oC spread is really a improvement.

The other part of this is as much as it's interesting to see the effects of nikhsub1's efforts I think that there are too many uncontrollable variables to determine if the difference (while only 1 degree) is even reliable. I don't think it's reasonably opssible to have enought control over the environment that the processor is in to determine that the single degree of difference (sometimes) is truly due to the difference in blocks. I mean we don't have control over the exact instructions passed through the processor or any atmospheric changes (1 degree in air temp could be the difference between the processor temps for instance which is going to be hard to detect. 11" of height differnce can even make a difference because of the air pressure. Although I doubt air pressure is responsible for any change it's not impossible. I think while interesting 1 degree is not empirical enough to denote an actual difference. Many studies even give a _+3 degree range for measurements which this would fall under the "unchanged" category because of. Just my $.02

nikhsub1
10-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Now wait a minute, it is no 'great' improvement over bowed in terms of temps but I believe the step is a better solution. The step is leaps and bounds better than a flat block and that is what I had hoped for mostly.

Kayin
10-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I see your point. This is quite an idea you've had, at least from my view.

Any ideas how it would do with an EK-Wave?

aiya
10-11-2007, 10:05 PM
sorry to be a noob, but in this case, what does stepped mean? :)

Kurz
10-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Look at the MCW60 for an Idea of what stepped means.
Its basically a square on the bottom of the block.

nikhsub1
10-11-2007, 10:26 PM
sorry to be a noob, but in this case, what does stepped mean? :)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160566

aiya
10-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Look at the MCW60 for an Idea of what stepped means.
Its basically a square on the bottom of the block.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160566

ahh, ic gotcha. thanks guys :up:

Xilikon
10-12-2007, 04:28 AM
Also, manufacturers can make stepped blocks more easily than bowed. Also, I can venture to guess that stepped might be more beneficial to quads due to the larger pressure area compared to the bowed one, which have more pressure on the center. A flat block will be limited by the uneven IHS because in most cases, the corners will be slighty higher than the center so the contact is poor. Stepped will avoid the corners.

Ease of manufacturing, ease of lapping if needed (not possible with bowed), potentially better with quads and larger contact area.

dinos22
10-12-2007, 05:05 AM
basically no difference really

JoeBar
10-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the results nikhsub1 m8... :)

What caught my attention are the greater variations of the stepped between different mounts. Seems that bowed is still the safe bet. My :2cents:

nikhsub1
10-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the results nikhsub1 m8... :)

What caught my attention are the greater variations of the stepped between different mounts. Seems that bowed is still the safe bet. My :2cents:
I disagree with bowing being the 'safe bet'. First, you can't lap a bowed block and the base becomes warped over time... Once I do more testing we will know more but, the big thing is that it achieves the same thing as bowing while having a FLAT surface. And remember my IHS is NOT lapped. I dare say that a nice flat step against a nice flat (lapped) IHS would be ideal.

JoeBar
10-13-2007, 02:23 PM
I agree with u about the flat step with flat IHS, but in your initial tests a 2'C variation between diff mounts (bowed has 1'C) is quite big.