PDA

View Full Version : Dead 360?

Polizei
10-09-2007, 09:15 AM
My roommate borrowed Bioshock from his girlfriend a couple days ago. He put it into his 360, which has been laying down on top of his TV for the 2 years that hes owned it. It asked him to update some software, which he said yes. It wasnt connected to the internet (later told my M$ that it didnt matter, the update is on the CD).

The screen went black, his controller shut off while it was updating. He shut the console off, and then tried to turn it back on. The power light in the middle of the power button comes on, but no controller light. no "red ring of death" as my brother called it either around the button. The controller never turned on (batteries were charged), no controller light near the power button. We tried turning the console on and off, tried turning it on and off with the controller, but we couldnt get anything other than the black screen on the TV, and the only light on the console is the power light in the middle of the button.

M$ said try a different AV cable, no luck. Different power brick, no luck. The said the AV inputs on the TV died, but we can play N64 just fine.

trance565
10-09-2007, 01:46 PM
send it in for RMA, it's clearly dead, if it's in warranty they have to atleast let you ship it in so they can verify that it's dead.

Polizei
10-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I forgot to say that he did that... $99 flat fee to fix it because its not under warranty anymore.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what died.

trance565
10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
He killed his Xbox lol, the game specificly says DO NOT TURN OFF POWER, Bioshock is resetting your console after update.

This is your friends fault. Like people said tho go send it to microsoft and tell em what happend.

This is just like updating the bios for your computer dont turn the thing off when its updating or rebooting your computer.

Halo3 did the same thing for me, updated my console said it was gonna reset my xbox and to not turn the power off, my screen went black then the xbox reseted and i started playing halo3.

I think what he did was since the update bar didnt move and then the screen went black he thought the system just lost power or something which it didnt. I almost got confused also i saw the thing updating a bar poped up for the progress and it was on like 1% then the screen went black and the xbox came back on like 5 seconds later. The update i think was so fast that the progress bar didnt move and itj ust reset itself like it said it was gonna do after the update.

A painfull lesson lol cuss i think itll be like 2-4 weeks before he gets his xbox back. Did you guys try removing the HDD ? and try turning the xbox on without it ?

As for warrenty didnt M$ give all xbox's a 3 year warrenty ? They extended the warrenty's on them, id call back and mention this

im pretty sure they did that only for red ring of death, not update of death