PDA

View Full Version : PSU concerns

tet5uo
10-08-2007, 12:35 AM
So I got some new stuff to set up a watercooling loop on my CPU, including an 850 watt game stream OCZ PSU.

I decided to set up the loop in the case before I added the components, so I just used the PSU, case and the watercooling gear.

While filling the loop, I jumped the PSU as I've seen done by connecting the green wire of the mobo power cable to a black one next to it.

Well, when I powered it up with the switch on the back to start up my pump and get the fluid moving, the PSU attempted to start, enough to barely spin the pump and the fans on the rad, and light up it's LED for a split-second, then it powered down.

Tried it again with the same result, split-second of juice then died.

So i pulled out an old 450 watt supply i had laying here and used that, jumpered it in the same way and it starts the pumps and fans just fine.

Basically i'm just wondering if my OCZ PSU is ok. Is it perhaps not able to be jump-started like the old PSU's or is something amiss with it.

RyderOCZ
10-08-2007, 05:36 AM
It jumpstarts exactly the same, but the GXS PSU's need some load on the 5V rail. The pump only runs on the 12V rail.

Hook 1 or 2 hard drives to it and the pump...things should go just fine.

tet5uo
10-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Ah, excellent, thanks for the info, good to know I don't have a DOA unit.