PDA

View Full Version : 700W GameXtream not supplying enough power?

Serra
10-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi. I purchased a 700w GameXtreme about a year ago or so for the following system:

CPU: Opteron 170
MB: DFI Lanparty NF4-SLI-D
HDD: 3+, various sizes, 2+ in RAID-0 at any one time
Mem: 2x 1GB PC4000 Mushkin
+Water cooling, fans

and recently built the system in my sig. When I put the video card in however, it seems that it died. It displayed erratic behavior (ie. only displaying out of second port), so I RMA'd it. I received back a tested EVGA 7900GTO today, but when I turn on the computer I receive a message that my video card is not receiving sufficient power and its quality will be reduced.

I double-checked, and do have the extra power connector firmly stuck into the video card. This message is not displayed every time I turn on the computer, but if I stay on long enough it seems to pop up eventually. The only other thing I have to mention is that I currently do not have an OC of any sort, all parts are at stock.

So, my issue is that I don't believe my system could possibly use 700w (especially when not overclocked)... any official OCZ comments/suggestions? I'd really like to avoid an RMA, but if it's necessary I will of course do so.

andyOCZ
10-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Hello, the 700w GameXStream has more than enough power. The PSU would not work and then stop supplying power, so it sounds like it's fine. It sounds like the connector isn't making a good connection. Try the other PCI-e cable and be sure that you seat the connector all the way.

Let us know how things go. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Bigchrome
10-12-2007, 11:01 AM
That Psu (at least the FSP version) is a heap! Get rid of it before it tries to get rid of your system.

RyderOCZ
10-12-2007, 03:19 PM
The PSU is not a heap, please do not make statements that are not true. It does nothing to solve the users issue.

Thank you.

NickS
10-12-2007, 03:31 PM
That Psu (at least the FSP version) is a heap! Get rid of it before it tries to get rid of your system.

It's not a heap.

OP, either you have a DOA unit or somethings screwed with the connection as andy mentioned. The PSU is a great unit and your rig only uses about 2/5 of it.

Bigchrome
10-13-2007, 12:13 PM
How many have you owned? I've had 3.

NickS
10-13-2007, 12:24 PM

So? I've had experience with the OCZ GxS 600w and 700w and they're both great PSU's. IIRC, one of our fellow members ran two vmodded GTX's in SLI with a QX6700 @ 3.5ish on water with one, a 700w GxS (FSP Elipson).

Bigchrome
10-14-2007, 04:13 AM
Oh they'll try to put out 700W all right, but they have shocking ripple will eventually kill your motherboard/cards because of it. It ran an E6600 over 4ghz and a 2900XT at 940/1100 for me but now when I flick the switch on the back all I get is a loud crackle and it refuses to work (9/10 times). My last one, just after shutting down, Exploded in my face. The one before that drooped under 11.6v at load and would make my pc shut down.

Serra, have you tried the other Pci-e 6pin connector yet?

mikenam
10-14-2007, 05:25 PM
why is your enermax broken? 3 psu and the enermax?

Bigchrome
10-18-2007, 11:18 AM
New one is fine! Don't know what happened the first one (it started making a whining noise and then after a week it alarmed at boot) I do have bad luck with powersupplies but I can safely say 3 of the Epsilons is too many to be just bad luck.

Serra
11-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi all,

Sorry about the late reply on this topic. Every time I meant to update something would come up and I'd forget about this post for awhile... you know how it is sometimes.

Anyway, after much bother pulling apart an HTPC to extract its PSU I was able to determine the power supply was not the issue... the new "tested" RMA'd module I got back from eVGA was simply borked. Now, onto *that* issue...

Kasparz
11-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Thousands FSP power supplies for customers.