PDA

View Full Version : Shell replacements?

flammingroids
07-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Whats are the best shell replacements you've all found for XP? I used to use them w/ 98 and I'm thinking of giving them another try. Stability is a must, as well as lowered overhead, but I am looking for something w/ many options and a large variety of themes.

IFMU
07-16-2003, 10:22 PM
This is something thats bothered me from day 1. I consistently hear about litestep and others that go along those lines, but they all friggin suck IMO. Each one has caused formats for me. Which I dont get I know of plenty of folks that use it without hassles.... :rolleyes:

Guess Ill wait and see if anyone can post up something that I dont dis-like tremendously.

Dissolved
07-16-2003, 10:33 PM
just download linux. Problem Fixed :)

Smizack
07-18-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Dissolved
just download linux. Problem Fixed :)

Amen.;)

But, IFMU has a... Thing with linux...:stick: :D

IFMU
07-19-2003, 03:42 AM
LMFAO
Your right, to a degree. I would say that it is Linux, that has a Thing with me. No matter what I do, its never easy. ;)

Smizack
07-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by IFMU
LMFAO
Your right, to a degree. I would say that it is Linux, that has a Thing with me. No matter what I do, its never easy. ;)

Did you try lycoris yet? I'm teliln' ya, no one can say that's a hard os to install/use.;)

Capn
07-19-2003, 08:24 PM
Im a linux n00b and i figured out lycoris.... got it goin wihtout a hitch

Dissolved
07-19-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by IFMU
LMFAO

im the same.. i dunno what it is.. maybe i got dropped on my head but things like linux, and programming, html, bleh blah i cannot figure out by myself..

IFMU
07-20-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Smizack
Did you try lycoris yet? I'm teliln' ya, no one can say that's a hard os to install/use.;)
No I havent had the chance yet, been a lil busy doing tons of other stuff. How well would this work on SCSI btw? Im about to sell off my last IDE Drive and be on pretty much nothing but SCSI within the next few days...

Originally posted by Dissolved
im the same.. i dunno what it is.. maybe i got dropped on my head but things like linux, and programming, html, bleh blah i cannot figure out by myself..
Linux just gives me troubles, non stop. Never tried programing and html I can follow some, but I dont use it for awhile and I forget it all, have to re-learn it.

Tweaked!
07-20-2003, 06:47 AM
Hey guys, could we get this back on the original topic?

flammingroids asked for skins for XP, I myself am curious to examine some of the options as well. I know somewhere on Ms's XP site, they have links to third party programmers that create skins, I'll see if I can find a link. What's others around using?

IFMU
07-20-2003, 08:25 AM
True on that Tweaked, apologies flammingroids.
All programs I have heard of are LiteStep, WindowBlinds and a few others I cant recall right off hand. Which personally I cant stand either of those, every time I have attempted to use, Ive removed within days, max. There are many others that claim to have great luck with them, so it must be me.

If you find one that works well please dont hesitat to let us know.

flammingroids
07-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Well, I just switched back to 2k for some unknown reason, I needed a clean install and decided to use 2k for awhile, so, I'll be checking out the shell replacements for 2k. I've used litestep under 98 and it worked well. Very minimal resource usage, and it LOOKED AMAZING! Although, the server that hosted all the litestep themes crashed sometime ago and not many of the "artists" have re-uploaded their works. =( I've tried Windows Blinds, but its just a program to skin the windows shell, I want to completely ditch the windows shell. There was one other that I tried but (can't remember the name) but I had random probs w/ it. To let ya'll know, sometimes the problems that you have may not be w/ the new shell at all, these shells are soo reliant on the themes to know how to act, that oftentimes the problem is one introduced by the themer, try a different theme and problem will probably dissapear, I'll let you all know what I find.