PDA

View Full Version : bowed vs flat: on quad???

louie101086
09-25-2007, 04:57 AM
i and other members have been wondering does a bowed block work better on a quad than a flat base. please someone who has a clue let me know

NicePants42
09-25-2007, 05:44 AM
The general consensus is that since C2D IHS's are bowed, a bowed water block will have better contact and thus lower temps. I've seen a few reports that a bowed GTX is better than flat, etc. and I would have to assume that this is true since both the Apogee GTX and Fusion are bowed by Swiftech and D-Tek, respectively. If you purchased your block(s) recently, (like, after July) they are bowed.

JonKbmw
09-25-2007, 05:51 AM
The general consensus is that since C2D IHS's are bowed, a bowed water block will have better contact and thus lower temps. I've seen a few reports that a bowed GTX is better than flat, etc. and I would have to assume that this is true since both the Apogee GTX and Fusion are bowed by Swiftech and D-Tek, respectively. If you purchased your block(s) recently, (like, after July) they are bowed.

Hm I just bought a D-tek Fuzion from Petra's, is it bowed (like, ordered last week, installed this past weekend)? I didn't really notice anything.

nikhsub1
09-25-2007, 06:07 AM
The general consensus is that since C2D IHS's are bowed, a bowed water block will have better contact and thus lower temps. I've seen a few reports that a bowed GTX is better than flat, etc. and I would have to assume that this is true since both the Apogee GTX and Fusion are bowed by Swiftech and D-Tek, respectively. If you purchased your block(s) recently, (like, after July) they are bowed.The general consensus you speak of is not true. It makes no difference if the IHS is flat or less flat, bowed will perform better due to better mount pressure over the die(s).

NicePants42
09-25-2007, 07:40 AM
The general consensus you speak of is not true. It makes no difference if the IHS is flat or less flat, bowed will perform better due to better mount pressure over the die(s).
I stand corrected. It's very likely that I misrepresented the general consensus.

nealh
09-25-2007, 08:23 AM
The general consensus you speak of is not true. It makes no difference if the IHS is flat or less flat, bowed will perform better due to better mount pressure over the die(s).

but is this true on the quads..I assume the area of bowing is "limited" and the larger dies size of the quads may allow some cores to run warmer ...

or as usually am I a moron on this:shrug:

also is the amount of bowing on a GTX better performing than bowing on the Fuzion

Pen3
09-25-2007, 03:02 PM
if your quad core is lapped than disregard bowing the waterblock? i got the d-tek fusion too.

silverphoenix
09-25-2007, 05:20 PM
bowing dropped temps by about 2C on my quad.

louie101086
09-25-2007, 06:04 PM
i want to bow my fuzion and add nozzles but dont know when they are comin out

havasued
09-28-2007, 12:23 AM
Hello All:
I have a QX6700 and I bought a GTX and used the larger O-Ring to bow it. My temps went up 5 degrees. So I pulled the chip and with a straight edge determined that it had a high spot right in the middle. So I got some 1000 grit wet or dry paper and in 15 min. it was flat and so I bought a fusion and put that on and it works fine now (below 60 degrees C. full load). So it depends on your CPU.
Ed

disruptfam
09-28-2007, 12:33 AM
i want to bow my fuzion and add nozzles but dont know when they are comin out

me 2

kinghong1970
09-28-2007, 05:35 AM
funny thing... last nite, i checked my Fuzion that i purchased from Petra's

i noticed one of the 4 screws was not tightened...
also, i noticed, when i placed a flat edge against the block, it is slightly bowed...

hmm...