PDA

View Full Version : Booting issues with IT7

Leo
07-08-2002, 05:07 PM
Any of you fellow IT7 owners experience a booting problem right after a shutdown? This dang board of mine won't come back for awhile after it loses power. The computer will shut itself off and I'll press the power switch again only to have a short spurt of power (fans spin for half a second, cold cathodes flicker once, etc). I then have to unplug the whole thing, reset the CMOS, wait about five minutes then start everything up again.

The board also likes to cut power right after the POST beep too when overclocked a little too far - which is only about 140 FSB. Using stock cooling for now until I can figure out how to get my MX-EVA3 backup.

OPPAINTER
07-08-2002, 06:09 PM
Sounds like a short. The exact problem I get when I get condensation. Maybe the Eva left water some where, I would take it out and spray it down some Brake Cleaner and look very carefully for condensation damage. With the brake Cleaner the contacts can easilly be cleaned up where ever they may be shorting.

OPP

Leo
07-08-2002, 06:27 PM
Hm, thing is my Intel setup has seen nothing except stock air cooling. Only thing "different" about the thing is it's condensation-proofed for my EVA3.

Maybe the case is causing a short? When I installed my 8500 I had to actually move the motherboard a little bit towards the drives because the 8500 was too long and wouldn't fit in my case when the motherboard was directly centered and screwed into the standoffs. It's now about a millimeter or so off the center of my mobo standoffs.

Only one way to find out...

Leo
07-09-2002, 12:43 PM
No go, neither spraying the board down with brake cleaner nor running it totally out of my case helps. Can't get a damn bench out of this board.

Seems a few other people are having problems with booting IT7s on various forums. I'm thinking there may be a bad batch or something because I bought this board pretty early on.

Man, my MX-EVA3 is dead, my motherboard is acting funny and my "$20 fix it ticket" for lens covers turns out to be $76 with a point added to my insurance. What a crappy two weeks.