PDA

View Full Version : Removing QX6700 IHS???

7499richard
09-20-2007, 04:02 PM
I may wanna take my IHS off my QX6700. But I would like to see some nice performance gains from someone elses experiences. Anybody know how to do it and if there are any persons that have done it successfully?

If this is in the wrong place let me know!

Thanks!!!

rafrag
09-20-2007, 04:13 PM
hi m8, i don't know about q 4 sure but while back guys at toms hardware were trying to do this with p4e (2megs of l2) and pulled silicon right off the chip
(it was soldered to it)

Grinch
09-20-2007, 04:50 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81209&page=2&highlight=ihs+removal

read from post #45 and down...good luck...*-)

LinusTech
09-20-2007, 04:57 PM
I used this method. CPU confirmed working 100%

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126707&highlight=ihs+removal

Jedda
09-20-2007, 06:08 PM
I've seen it done but not seen great gains from doing it yet.

zoob
09-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey Linus, post a pic of your rig. Seems like you have a bunch of nice stuff to play with :)

LinusTech
09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
I only post pics of my setup from accounts which are not tied to NCIX. I don't want personal accounts (at other forums, etc) spammed for NCIX support, so I like to keep personal things personal.

but yeah, my rig is pwnage. ;)

7499richard
09-21-2007, 12:57 PM
How much of improvements did you receive from removing it. 5...10 degrees???

I only want to try it for a large improvement.

7499richard
09-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Also my block is bowed, will that affect an IHS less chip, and how tight do you tighthen the block, naked cores are easy to cruch right?>

nikhsub1
09-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Also my block is bowed, will that affect an IHS less chip, and how tight do you tighthen the block, naked cores are easy to cruch right?>
I would not run a bowed block on a naked chip. Ever.

LinusTech
09-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Bowing is quite difficult to do perfectly. Often I've found that I end up with a bow that's not quite in the center of the block, and without tweaking it (particularly the GT/GTX) the contact will be quite finicky. I recommend using a flat block on an IHSless CPU....

7499richard
09-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Ok, so if I do it new waterblock is to be ordered. Fuzion is not flat right, so I guess one of those copper GTX's is the way to go. Is swiftech selling them bowed now from the factory, I thought I read that, if that is the case what can I do?

Also Linus you have done this to a quad core? What waterblock are you using, or cooler, and how tight is it. I have never worked with an IHS less cpu, how fragile are the cores, I would really hate to kill my cpu.

And what type of temp improvements did you obtain after the removal?

Jedda
09-21-2007, 01:59 PM
I would really hate to kill my cpu.

If you're not ready to write it off, you probably shouldn't try stripping your IHS.
Why not get a Q6600 to play with first. That way, if it ends badly you can frisbee it without feeling too bad.

nibble
09-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok, so if I do it new waterblock is to be ordered. Fuzion is not flat right, so I guess one of those copper GTX's is the way to go. Is swiftech selling them bowed now from the factory, I thought I read that, if that is the case what can I do?

Also Linus you have done this to a quad core? What waterblock are you using, or cooler, and how tight is it. I have never worked with an IHS less cpu, how fragile are the cores, I would really hate to kill my cpu.

And what type of temp improvements did you obtain after the removal?
Yep I'm pretty sure they're shipping bowed now, well there's no way you can reverse the bow so idk. Do you really need to remove the IHS? I mean if you aren't getting really bad temps and you've lapped your not going to see a huge gain by poping the IHS, then there's the risk of turning that quad into a damn expensive keychain.