PDA

View Full Version : The quest for 5th place!

[XC] 4X4N
09-19-2007, 07:35 PM
We have made some huge strides in the vault and are currently about 1500 points from 5th. I have been focusing on projects where I thought we could get the most points the fastest. The fast and easy points are pretty much gone. I think now we should pick a project and gang up on it. Move up some, and then go to another. Those 1500 points are going to be hard to come by. Everyone pretty much runs what they like, which is great, but I think to really move up any farther we need to have some kind of group strategy. I have 1 quad that I am going to leave on F@H, and 1 e6300 that I run D2OL on. I have a x2 3800, E6300, E6600, and another quad for the cause.

So, whats everybody think?

Let's hear some ideas. :toast:

leviathon-nz
09-19-2007, 08:26 PM
The things that we can grab points in at the moment would be Eon, the Seasonal Attribution Project and something like ogr25. Whatever we decide to do I'm happy to shove whatever I can find on it, I think I might chew ogr for a day and see how far I can get us up on that. I'm also thinking bout coming back to f@h for a bit just for old times sake:) Used to do some crunching for overclockers.com.

[XC]thewildblue
09-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Ive just had a little blizt on abc@home, but we just lost a place there. Im still going strong on QMC, but again we wont make any gains (but its my pet project). Im moving most of the home farm onto tanpaku and sztaki for a little blitz now. Im just going to stick with boinc projects for the moment I think.

[XC] riptide
09-20-2007, 04:19 AM
Hsa any one investigate the Whatpulse/Bewes sort of projects? Are they even in the Vault?

KaptainBlaZzed
09-20-2007, 08:54 AM
We can also gain in PSP-Proth and DPAD if we put some work into it.

[XC] DragonOrta
09-20-2007, 08:54 AM
riptide;2442979']Hsa any one investigate the Whatpulse/Bewes sort of projects? Are they even in the Vault?

They're not.

I've got a Q6600 and an E6400, both running at 3.7ghz.

I'm going to give Riesel Sieve LLR a run on the E6400 to see how scoring works for that project and how long it might take to get us up the ladder there.

EDIT: one WU for Riesel LLR takes just about 3 1/2 hours on a 3.7ghz C2D. Now to see how many points each WU is worth.

leviathon-nz
09-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Each unit for LLR is worth 2899 plus or minus a point or 2 I was just running it a few days ago.

[XC] 4X4N
09-20-2007, 03:34 PM
I think when I was running Riesel LLR, It was about 35k a day with the E6600 @ 3.6. So, if we could get enough people on it to produce 100k a day, it would take about a month to move up one spot. If we stay at the current production on PSP Proth, it's about 2.5 months to move up one spot. On EON, about one month also. With DPAD, we are a long ways from moving up, but the knights are gaining on us, so we could also use some production there.

So, here's my plan :)

I think I will switch from PSP Proth to Riesel LLR with my quad. I'll dedicate the E6300 and E6600 to EON. I'm going to run dpad with the X2 3800.

Maybe a few others could run Riesel LLR too.

Paladin
09-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Because of the idle time on EON, I suggest any machine running it also run another project at lower priority.

I wont touch DPAD after getting jipped out of around 1million points. ("Keep crunching, it'll be okay once the servers get caught up." I did. It wasn't.)

[XC] riptide
09-21-2007, 02:39 AM
Because of the idle time on EON, I suggest any machine running it also run another project at lower priority.

I wont touch DPAD after getting jipped out of around 1million points. ("Keep crunching, it'll be okay once the servers get caught up." I did. It wasn't.)

Paladin. There was a thread on DPAD forums whereby you could have laid your case out. i got sorted out eventually. Also, Bok had a frozen copy of DPAD stats. They are still to be seen on the drop down menu on free-dc stats site.

Paladin
09-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Doesn't help me. I'd just started DPAD & had every rig running it 100% 24/7. Bok's old stats only showed losses from before the outage. I think you ended up with a loss as well, didn't you?

5 years, 587 posts -- the Stone didn't work on me. No desire to go argue on some other forum, just switch projects.

[XC] 4X4N
09-21-2007, 01:57 PM
How are you guys getting so many points in EON? I hate this project :mad: It never seems to give me much work. I have 8 clients running, have done the settings that Paladin suggests, but I still have more zzz's than work. I'm going to keep the E6300 on it, but I'm going to switch my E6600 to DPAD and Riesel LLR.

KaptainBlaZzed
09-21-2007, 02:27 PM
4X4N;2445830']How are you guys getting so many points in EON? I hate this project :mad: It never seems to give me much work. I have 8 clients running, have done the settings that Paladin suggests, but I still have more zzz's than work. I'm going to keep the E6300 on it, but I'm going to switch my E6600 to DPAD and Riesel LLR.

Do not run only eon on a computer, run DPAD with it.

I currently run 3 instances of eon per core ( 6 for a dual core) and set their priority to "Real time". I then run 1 instance of DPAD and set its priority to "Low", this allows eon to get cpu cycles when it has work to do and DPAD gets what is left and keep your CPU @ 100%.

I have also found that if my clients are getting lots of ZZZ'z and are waiting 60 sec between connection attempts, that restarting them helps (sometimes).

I currently have 21 instances of eon running.:eek:

[XC] 4X4N
09-21-2007, 02:52 PM
I am running DPAD along with EON. Just don't seem to have much luck with it. My E6600 is my main htpc, and the wife uses it all the time. I don't really have the time to check it much. I like to just let it run. EON is the only project that seems to give me trouble. I was trying to put more on it, but I'll just let you guys run it and I'll concentrate on the other projects.

Paladin
09-21-2007, 11:54 PM
I do the same thing as KB basically -- 3 per core, bump up to below normal priority, restart if I see a screen full of 60 sec Zzzz's, and have OGR or Moneybee running as well.

I agree, it's higher maintenance than some. Less than DIMES, little more than BOINC (wish BOINC did 7-day forced-reconfigs instead of 5-day which might as well be random).

For those running Reisel LLR, are you using Proth or LLR-Net s/w?

[XC] gomeler
09-22-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm still crunching PSP:S, damn near done with this range then I'll do SOB:S a bit to finish my obligation there, then I'll join up whatever cause we are doing. I swear I've been crunching 24/7 PSP:S for the last 7 months or so.

[XC] DragonOrta
09-22-2007, 08:58 AM
I do the same thing as KB basically -- 3 per core, bump up to below normal priority, restart if I see a screen full of 60 sec Zzzz's, and have OGR or Moneybee running as well.

I agree, it's higher maintenance than some. Less than DIMES, little more than BOINC (wish BOINC did 7-day forced-reconfigs instead of 5-day which might as well be random).

For those running Reisel LLR, are you using Proth or LLR-Net s/w?

I'm using LLRNet

UCmajewski
09-23-2007, 09:41 PM
In Eulernet we have a lot of teams immediately ahead of us, that haven't turned in any work since 2002. We probably can't get a top 10 in this project, but i've never seen work as an issue. Realistically we could move up 10-15 spots with out much effort which is good for some points probably at least 500. I am in for the long haul on this project and probably won't stop on this project until we are well over 8000 in it.

leviathon-nz
09-23-2007, 10:08 PM
with eulernet how long does it take to complete a work unit? I've been running one on and off with other things for about a week now and its still not finished.

Other than that I'm switching back to llr with the others to see what can be done in that project, the stats are looking good already:up:

Paladin
09-24-2007, 08:11 AM
When I ran Eulernet, it took near a month per range.

Warning about MoneyBee. There's no config file, so I don't know how/where it stores your data or userinfo, but one of my rigs spontaneously changed to this user (http://us.moneybee.net/mitglieder/userinfo.asp?i=2446). I don't have the password for this user so I can't change that rigs config back to my own even. Uninstall/regclean time.

UCmajewski
09-24-2007, 11:15 AM
with eulernet how long does it take to complete a work unit? I've been running one on and off with other things for about a week now and its still not finished.

Other than that I'm switching back to llr with the others to see what can be done in that project, the stats are looking good already:up:

They are all in seconds and the longest I have seen one was one million. So a lot of the WU's are a week long if not longer, but the project goes by seconds crunched not WU's. So it is irrelevant how long the WU takes just that it is completed. Whats funny is that your first WU's take 500,000 seconds then you will get two or three that take 500-20,000 seconds. I have relatively weak machines on these too, so a higher clocked Core 2 DUO probably be done way sooner. In fact I like the longer ones cause when they drop in we jump like four spots. TBH we probably could make do with 2 - 3 more cores on this project.

glennpat
11-18-2007, 08:14 AM
The Knights were going to pass us in 5 days on RieselSieve LLR. It's worth 285vault points plus the Knights is a team that we may (will) pass some day in the Vault. I have moved several cores to it.

I have all my computers also waiting for work from LHC@Home and APS@Home. These both run on BOINC. Hopefully APS will start sending work soon since we only have 3750 vault points in this one.

[XC] riptide
11-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Glenn... how many Machine do you have. You seem to be hammering on a plethora of projects. Respect :clap:

[XC] 4X4N
11-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Sorry to see that we have slipped a little, :( but I needed a change from all the math projects. Plus, with vault projects coming and going, it makes it hard to keep up.

Movieman
11-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Go to 6 clients per core on EON and set priority to realtime..It works..
Of course, I don't know this myself as all I run is WCG and MJ12..
Some "Old Guy" told me that these settings are good workable ones..;)

glennpat
11-18-2007, 06:51 PM
riptide;2565847']Glenn... how many Machine do you have. You seem to be hammering on a plethora of projects. Respect :clap:

I have 10 with 7 of them dual core. I don't have a quad yet, but hoping to get one of those guys later this year.

[XC] riptide
11-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Niceeeeeee!

glennpat
11-22-2007, 07:38 AM
The Knights were going to pass us in 5 days on RieselSieve LLR. It's worth 285vault points plus the Knights is a team that we may (will) pass some day in the Vault. I have moved several cores to it.

The Knights keep increasing their daily output :( .

http://stats.free-dc.org/new/allteams.php?proj=rllr]

glennpat
11-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I am backing off of RieselSieve LLR. I was able to produce a little more than the Knights yesterday, but I had to put all my cores on it and back off of EON. I also had to stop work on stuff I had already commited to. I will probably leave a little bit on Riesel LLR since the team ahead of us isn't currently working on it.

I just signed up on SIMAP which used BOINC. Looks like it doesn't always have work and since it does have some now I thought I would get some.

UCmajewski
11-23-2007, 01:31 PM
You know me I am still going for easy points with eulernet ... kind have played the euler card too long. Shooting for 9 K !

glennpat
11-23-2007, 03:25 PM
You know me I am still going for easy points with eulernet ... kind have played the euler card too long. Shooting for 9 K !

We've had a 515 points gain in eulernet since 10/4/2007. That a pretty decent gain!

Jose
11-23-2007, 03:34 PM
I am keeping the production level in many of the Boinc Math Projects, EON and Money Bee

Jose
12-23-2007, 06:57 AM
We are number 3!!!

glennpat
12-24-2007, 02:09 PM

You made it! :banana: We jumped 4 places today in eulernet for a 147 point gain. At 9117 points now. On 10/4/2007 we had 8161 points. Nice going team.

XS_parts
01-17-2008, 08:30 PM
I am keeping the production level in many of the Boinc Math Projects, EON and Money Bee

You still doing any moneybee? I can't get in to anything there since I haven't contributed in a while. So I stuffed a system on it so I could get some points added so I can get into the stats and see whats what. Basically curious as to how many moneybee points we have to add before we can get any dcv points for moneybee.

edit: Any interest in moneybee?

glennpat
01-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Any interest in moneybee?

I just fired up my moneybee that I had run on one box so I could look at the stats again. Not sure if I'll keep in running.

XS_parts
01-19-2008, 03:10 PM
I ran off about 700 points or so experimenting. Was thinking about trying to do some points on it for the dcv thing but ended up deciding against it. There isn't much interest in it here, nor on several other teams really.

skycrane
04-02-2008, 08:38 AM
isint that the best if no other team is interested in doing it???

[XC] riptide
04-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Well... in terms of the DC Vault alone and the pointage.. then yes. But there are other factors to consider too. ;)