PDA

View Full Version : CM Stacker 830, PA120.3

Hawnted
09-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Hello. I am new to watercooling and have ordered a PA120.3 and already have a CM Stacker 830. I have heard it is not the best case for WC but I already have one so I need to put it to use. I have seen the stacker thread here at the forums. My question is where is the best place to mount the PA120.3 INSIDE the case with the least amount of modification? Also, what modification will be required to do so? My last question is, can you purchase a window side panel for the 830 or is all the ones Im seeing modified by the user?

Marci
09-19-2007, 01:46 AM
Upright in the drive bays using antivibration pump mounting studs. No mods required.

Solarfall
09-19-2007, 02:53 AM
Upright in the drive bays using antivibration pump mounting studs. No mods required.

yep that is a good way.. ^

but cutting a hole to the the bottom of the case is a good way too.. and those 2 ways are pretty much the only things that you can do if you wanna mount the pa120.3 internally ;)

rioja
09-19-2007, 05:07 AM
and one more way - mount this on top and move psu to front bay, with little mod

kinghong1970
09-19-2007, 05:15 AM
hmm... it was my impression that the 120.3 does not fit vertically in the drive bays on the 830/832 models without sacrificing all of the drive bays...

i guess i will go back and re-measure...

as for side panels, seriously, i'd be curious to see exactly how many folks need side windows and try to get a custom job done for it.

Hawnted
09-19-2007, 05:37 AM
From what I have read you do have to sacrifice all the drive bays. So that leaves me to my question, which is better a top or bottom mount? If you mount it on top do you have to cut the top of your case? or are you talking about mounting it below the top fan?

kinghong1970
09-19-2007, 05:58 AM
on top of the stacker 830/832, you can get by mounting a PA120.2 or a PA160 or any equivalent size.

due to the shape of the top panel, you will not be able to fit any triple rad there.

also, keep in mind that the PSU is placed right there on the top area as well.

if you are stuck on getting a triple rad in the case, get urself a jigsaw and start planning holes to be cut at bottom of the case.

even if you go with a swiftech radiator, you still have to cut the bottom of case as well.

Hawnted
09-19-2007, 10:33 AM
So you just need to cut the bottom out to the exact measure of the PA120.3, drop it down and have the fans blowing the air out of the bottom of the case? Will this leave the barbs on the inside?

kinghong1970
09-19-2007, 10:43 AM
yea, either way, blow warmer air out of the case or blow colder air into the case at risk of dust bunnies...

but here's 2 threads you should keep in mind and spend time to look at.

Stacker SLACKER (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102550) thread is all about stackers... can get some good ideas here...but keep your credit card away... it' can be quite tempting.

my work log (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158401) is similar in build but i am planning dual loop.

i've been away for a bit but now that i'm back, i should be posting more pics shortly as my work progresses.

you will notice in the work log that GameGURU got hole cut out at bottom of case...

hope it helps.

Hawnted
09-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Yeah I saw the stacker slacker thread. The only thing is I am new to water cooling and case modding, so I didnt want to go cutting up my case before I had a clear picture of what was needed. Thanks for your help