PDA

View Full Version : Is a U2-UFO really worth it?

Matt C.
09-18-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm debating between this uber cool case and the Lian Li G70 for my watercooling kit.

Does the extra price justify the case?

I only plan to use 1 PA120.3 Rad. for my Q6600 and Ultra.

With the Lian Li I can easily mount the rad at the top of the case and have plenty of room for the rest of the other components. But with the UFO seems like it has alot better air flow and alot more room to work with. Not to mention the cool factor.

I just don't know if I want to spend $350 on a case though

Thoughts/Opinions are welcomed :up:

Gunlance
09-18-2007, 08:36 PM
I had the same decision to make as you did. I even went so far as to order the mountain mods case. THe more I thought about it, and the more builds I saw, the more I wanted the g70. I liked the fact that I was the one who was modding my own case. THe price point was darn good too since I got my case shipped for less than 200 bucks. I've used every available inch in the g70 and I absolutely love it. Do not regret canceling my MM order one bit.

As far as room goes, I fit 2 seperate loops in my case. I have room for a 3rd loop as well, but have run out of components to cool :)

Matt C.
09-18-2007, 08:42 PM
im seeing both with really nice builds.

i dont know if i want to pay the extra $150 + fans + grills.

i may end up with the G70B.

disruptfam
09-18-2007, 08:43 PM
i would go fora g70....

I'm actually thinking of purchasing one myself... well the g70b or tj07 for my next project

disruptfam
09-18-2007, 08:44 PM
hey gunlance got any pics of your rig?

lazy
09-18-2007, 09:35 PM
i actually found gunlances build right here

http://www.dkftw.com/Computer%20Build.html

he did a good job so far

Gunlance
09-18-2007, 10:02 PM
i actually found gunlances build right here

http://www.dkftw.com/Computer%20Build.html

he did a good job so far

Yep thats mine, I've been lazy to update witht he completed pics, but I will get some up later today.

punisher69
09-19-2007, 12:33 AM
What matters most is, are you going to be happy with your decision/choice?

What's your biggest Concern? Aesthetics?, Cost?, Component(s) Room?

;)

Ic3man
09-19-2007, 01:49 AM
I love my UFO - lots of expense but its worth it (imo)

http://www.mountainmods.com/

septim
09-19-2007, 06:38 AM
or you could try DIY experience and bolt together 2 same model cases...

AMDfreak
09-19-2007, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't trade my U2-UFO for anything. My only regret was that i couldn't afford to have a custom one done slightly larger. :up:

Matt C.
09-19-2007, 08:28 AM
What matters most is, are you going to be happy with your decision/choice?

What's your biggest Concern? Aesthetics?, Cost?, Component(s) Room?

;)

price really isnt a concern. the G70 is too plain looking IMO.

and i want something with alot of room and airflow, that is why it would be a great case. the only thing is my limited desk space :p:

Patriote
09-19-2007, 10:35 AM
I'll be the first one to say here that this case, The U2-UFO is really, really worth it. With so much possibilities, you just can't pass by such awesome case. Of course, if you prefer a slim kind case, such as the G70, which is also a pretty case, then go for it! But the U2-UFO is really something man... Yeah, it cost a lot... Especially when you consider that the case does not comes with any fans, fan grills, bay covers, feet etc... You gotta order all this seperately. And i will insist on the fact that you really check out the feet for your case. As it only comes with wheels and if you plan on hooking the case on your desk, then the wheels won't be a good idea. And you really need to get something to raise the case a little since the middle thumb screw (that handles the mobo tray) is going out (under) the case about half a cm... So, yes the case will basically be un-even. Also, don't forget the bay covers! If you plan on hooking only 2 bay devices, such as a DVD burner, then you will need 3 bay covers since it has 5 possible place to mount bay devices.

Anyway, whatever your choice is, i am sure you will enjoy building your watercooling stuff in it! :up:

Waterlogged
09-19-2007, 10:44 AM
If your constrained by space and you don't have a lot of hardware, you might want to consider a Twice7 from MM or a not as nice looking, yet much more affordable, YY cube and mod the heck out of it. Link (http://www.directron.com/yy0221bk.html)

Istasi
09-19-2007, 11:23 AM
For the price I got mine it was great (just over $200 including grills/filters and such) but I don't think I'd pay the $350 base cost + cost of grills/filters.

shazza
09-19-2007, 11:26 AM
I was in the same boat ... deciding between MM and Lian-Li. Just got mine (U2-UFO Opti-1203) last week and am very happy with it. Since it will be on the desk, I also got the acrylic feet (which were only a few bucks) - it sits nice and level:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/shazzasmd/mmcase.jpg

With the feet on:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/shazzasmd/mmfeet.jpg

NaeKuh
09-19-2007, 12:58 PM
LoL i love my U2-UFO.

However let me warn you 1 thing that all U2-UFO owners agree on.

Its not Yoshi's stomache, meaning there is a limit to how much stuff you can put into it.

And if you water cool it, you'll notice yourself running out of room FAST.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0721.jpg

I ran out of room. :[

Grinch
09-19-2007, 02:47 PM
I have to agree with the nod to the MM cases...I have had 5 Lian-Li's over the years and wish I would have bought a MM case sooner...*-)

MM FTW!

Patriote
09-19-2007, 03:28 PM
I have to agree with the nod to the MM cases...I have had 5 Lian-Li's over the years and wish I would have bought a MM case sooner...*-)

MM FTW!

100% Agree!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/Xtreme_Patriote/img3911ip3.jpg

Mekrel
09-19-2007, 04:20 PM
They're solid cases, and good for water cooling and is probably the easy way out than buying a case and modding it.

However, in terms of finish - they look amateur in my opinion. I used to work with a bloke doing FileMaker Pro driven databases and he rented office space off someone who did PC repairs, upgrades and builds.

The owner of said company had a MM case, so I saw it daily. I don't like the powder coated externals, as it looks no where near as professional as brushed Alu. I really don't like the bolt on method for the side panels, I think that is a very crude way of doing things.

Also all MM builds look pretty boring to me, you've seen one you've seen them all (apart from the dye used in the coolant). The only exception to this is Chris' build (the blue one).

I'm fully expecting to be flamed for this, but the OP asked for opinions and that's mine. I only ever make such comments when they're asked for, or when the discussion is on cube cases in general (i.e I don't say such things when someone posts a work log of their MM as it isn't needed).

This is why I went with the Lian Li PC343B after seeing a MM case. It's going to cost me more than a MM build due to having the internals powder coated and the panels laser cut, but in the end it will look like a professional case which I just can't ring myself to say about MM cases.

Kayin
09-19-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm about to shove my third loop into a PC-60. Giant cases are overrated. Just need planning and preparation.

virtualrain
09-19-2007, 05:15 PM
They're solid cases, and good for water cooling and is probably the easy way out than buying a case and modding it.

However, in terms of finish - they look amateur in my opinion. I used to work with a bloke doing FileMaker Pro driven databases and he rented office space off someone who did PC repairs, upgrades and builds.

The owner of said company had a MM case, so I saw it daily. I don't like the powder coated externals, as it looks no where near as professional as brushed Alu. I really don't like the bolt on method for the side panels, I think that is a very crude way of doing things.

Also all MM builds look pretty boring to me, you've seen one you've seen them all (apart from the dye used in the coolant). The only exception to this is Chris' build (the blue one).

I'm fully expecting to be flamed for this, but the OP asked for opinions and that's mine. I only ever make such comments when they're asked for, or when the discussion is on cube cases in general (i.e I don't say such things when someone posts a work log of their MM as it isn't needed).

This is why I went with the Lian Li PC343B after seeing a MM case. It's going to cost me more than a MM build due to having the internals powder coated and the panels laser cut, but in the end it will look like a professional case which I just can't ring myself to say about MM cases.

I agree. The MM case is perfectly designed for water cooling - no other case comes close in this regard. However, although asthetics are highly subjective and personal, I think most would agree that the Lian-Li cases (all of them including the 343B) have a much more refined finish.

At the end of the day though, if someone asks me what case to buy for a multi-loop water cooling system... I'll recommend a MM case with the caveat that they understand it's industrial mechano look.

If you do go for a MM case, really consider the Horizon. Having converted my 343B to a horizontal motherboard layout (the first such configuration I've owned), I must say it's a real pleasure to work on a motherboard that's not on it's side.

Circaflex
09-19-2007, 05:30 PM
I have a u2-ufo currently, but am moving out from it ASAP. Had it for over 3 years and small things irritate me.

Pros:
Easy for H20 gear
Lots of space

Cons:
Have to remove motherboard tray to undo pci bracket screw
Motherboard tray seems poorly built, isnt super tight thus making my cards come out just enough to where they wouldnt work
Takes time to under all the thumbscrews to get a side panel off

there are more problems that i have with mine but eh, i personally wont get one again.

shazza
09-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Can't disagree with the cons on the MM case, but the big advantage I see is for someone doing their first water cooling project (assuming they want to use the PA 120.3 and other high end components). Lots of room, and plenty of options wrt laying out the loop(s). I felt it was worth the price, and also felt it would be a good case long term for experimentation ... even if I ultimately go with a more refined LIAN-LI for my every day desktop.

johnanderson
09-19-2007, 06:58 PM
I completely agree with the pros and cons mentioned above. If youre paying that much for a case then one would expect the build quality to be better. However, spacewise it is one of the easiest cases to work with. If I had to do it over again I would personally mod a lian li or silverstone. With a UFO it just seems too easy to build, just slap everything together and youre done. Id rather have a challenge ;)

Duh
09-19-2007, 07:31 PM
@NaeKuh: how is called the colour or the type of paint?? I mean its not that awful mirrorish black

guys your boxes are my envy

Grinch
09-19-2007, 08:25 PM
for some people case modding is fun...but my modding skills suck! I would just rather buy something already done and not have to worry about it...Imagine somebody like me with horrible modding skills trying to use a jigsaw or a dremel for that matter..cutting on a $200-$300 dollar case as F*&CK it up.....no thx...*-)

NaeKuh
09-19-2007, 09:53 PM
@NaeKuh: how is called the colour or the type of paint?? I mean its not that awful mirrorish black

guys your boxes are my envy

its a powder coat black. Same thing as the ones you find on a zippo.

I got my MM from sneaky. Too bad he didnt give me the zippo which matched it.

:rofl:

Movieman
09-19-2007, 10:01 PM
I love cube cases and always wanted to do a MM or the LL 343B.
I did my first WC system in a LL G70 for a bunch of reasons.
Ease was one..Everything fit the way I wanted without too much work and happy with the way it came out..
http://www.xtremesystems.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=48

mouawad
09-19-2007, 10:57 PM
i love my U2-UFO - best case i've ever had by a mile. i don't agree about the finish on the MM cases (i like the powder coat and personally think a brushed finish wouldn't suit it anyway) but to each their own. If everybody liked the same finish or case it would make for a boring world.

It is rather easy to fill them up though, i kinda wish i had gone for a custom job and may do in the future. :)

previous cases were a LianLi V2000 and a Stacker 810 and still have a couple of LianLi cases in use, 1 for a htpc (PC-60) and 1 is now my linux box/fileserver (PC-75?)

virtualrain
09-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Really depends on how much you want to put into modding the case. You start modding any case and it takes a lot of time, money and effort to get a good end product you can be proud of, not to mention a lot patience.

QFT... (aka "No F'in Kidding"!) I just spent the summer modding a PC-343B and I will tell you it took all of this and more... so much that I hope this case will last me awhile now because I have no desire to get back at it anytime soon. (Famous last words LOL!)

As a few people have mentioned, the MM case seems ideal for a project where you don't want a lot of fuss and just want to bolt things in and get it up and running before your computer components are obsolete! :yepp:

ranker
09-20-2007, 12:31 AM
QFT... (aka "No F'in Kidding"!) I just spent the summer modding a PC-343B and I will tell you it took all of this and more... so much that I hope this case will last me awhile now because I have no desire to get back at it anytime soon. (Famous last words LOL!)

As a few people have mentioned, the MM case seems ideal for a project where you don't want a lot of fuss and just want to bolt things in and get it up and running before your computer components are obsolete! :yepp:

I think everyone gets burnt out after a massive WC/case modding project. I had fun with my other simple UFO builds, but after my Horizon, I don't want to start a project for a long long time.

Matt C.
09-20-2007, 05:50 AM
for some people case modding is fun...but my modding skills suck! I would just rather buy something already done and not have to worry about it...Imagine somebody like me with horrible modding skills trying to use a jigsaw or a dremel for that matter..cutting on a $200-$300 dollar case as F*&CK it up.....no thx...*-)

thats how i am. i really dont have the modding skills to be cutting up a $200 case and risk screwing it up beyond repair.

Grinch
09-20-2007, 07:41 AM
there are alternitives to getting a G70 or other cases mooded for a tricked out WC rig without doing it yourself.

Go to Performance PC's and check out some of the work they've done on ready made WC cases, based on the Silverstone and Lian Li line. Really nice work, and when they mod a case for you, it done right.

Lian Li G70 http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=4428

Silverstone TJ07 http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=311&products_id=21143

Not saying you have to get the configs listed, but you can have them cut the case as you see fit for whatever rad, WC set up, etc you want.

Just a thought,

andyc

is'nt that kinda what MM does?:shrug:

Baleful
09-20-2007, 08:33 AM
I ran out of room. :[

Bah, you ran out of room because you have a standard UFO. Get a Custom UFO and the sky is the limit. I had one custom made where the MB sits like a Horizon, but it'll fit 2 PA120.3's, and 1 120.2 easy. Right now i've only got 1 120.3, and one 120.2 but i've still got plenty of room left. I'de say go custom all the way man.

kohlersc
09-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Got pics of your custom machine Baleful? I currently am going to get the U2-UFO original, but am interested in your custom version differences.

Waterlogged
09-20-2007, 09:14 AM
there are alternitives to getting a G70 or other cases mooded for a tricked out WC rig without doing it yourself.

Go to Performance PC's and check out some of the work they've done on ready made WC cases, based on the Silverstone and Lian Li line. Really nice work, and when they mod a case for you, it done right.

Lian Li G70 http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=4428

Silverstone TJ07 http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=311&products_id=21143

Not saying you have to get the configs listed, but you can have them cut the case as you see fit for whatever rad, WC set up, etc you want.

Just a thought,

andyc

Just be careful what you decide upon getting. I don't know WTH Hank has been ingesting as of late, but some of his newer creations are a tad daft.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=21901

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=311&products_id=21712

MountainMods
09-20-2007, 09:19 AM
not really. They aren't going to mod a case other than their's and then it gets really reallt expensive. I actually had a custom MM case ordered and canceled it. Take way to long, and way to much money IMO.

You can get a custom case mod turned around from P-PC in a couple days, on whatever brand case you want, and the pricing is better.

OP was asking about the G70, and P-PC already has configs made up, holes cut etc.

andyc

That's really interesting that some individuals claim to know what Mountain Mods does or does not do. I'm here to shine the light of "Truth" on the face of "Myth" when it comes to Mountain Mods.

We do modifications to other cases. In fact we have a G70 at the powder coating facility (which is really interesting given the crap some LiLi owners are stating about the quality of our finishes). The G70 was sent in to us, we used a 4.5 inch blow hole to make some holes for some radiators PA 1203 on the top PA 1202 on the bottom and a 120mm Blow hole on the front. We tore it down and sent it in to be powder coated sky white per request of the owner. The owner already bought a mirror black duality and was extremely pleased with the finish over that of the black anodized G70. This is not the first time we've been sent in a LiLi for powder coating and probably wont be the last. If you like anodized - well I'd suggest taking a look at our website as we begin to manufacture them in volume.

Now when it comes to comparing cost of a Mountain Mods custom case to that of a modified LiLi or whatever have you thats apples and oranges. It is one thing to take a hole saw and cut some holes in an existing case and its entirely another to take a 3d design, manipulate it specifically for the customer, take that design and convert it to the programming for the $600,000 laser machine. Have it laser cut with precision in the flat and formed specifically for the single customer. Don't take this the wrong way post fabrication modification is a needed service as well, but price comparing the post fab modification to cost of design and prefabrication modification is just - well, wrong. Same thing with time comparisons of the two services.

Lastly in regards to the professional quality of Mountain Mods. Mountain Mods contracts with a manufacturing company in the USA that builds products for other companies such as Nike, Intel, Tektronix, Umpqua Bank and the US government to name a few. They have also secured a contract to build window frames for the new "Freedom Tower". They are a professional entity with 30+ years of metal manufacturing experience.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to ask any questions.
We highly appreciate the Xtreme Systems community!

Cheers.

Circaflex
09-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Baleful;2443400']Bah, you ran out of room because you have a standard UFO. Get a Custom UFO and the sky is the limit. I had one custom made where the MB sits like a Horizon, but it'll fit 2 PA120.3's, and 1 120.2 easy. Right now i've only got 1 120.3, and one 120.2 but i've still got plenty of room left. I'de say go custom all the way man.

Given the price, youd better be willing to fork out a lot of cash for a custom one from MM. Some people have a hard enough time forking over 300 for a case let alone 350 base on a custom one from MM.

Grinch
09-20-2007, 09:59 AM
That's really interesting that some individuals claim to know what Mountain Mods does or does not do. I'm here to shine the light of "Truth" on the face of "Myth" when it comes to Mountain Mods.

We do modifications to other cases. In fact we have a G70 at the powder coating facility (which is really interesting given the crap some LiLi owners are stating about the quality of our finishes). The G70 was sent in to us, we used a 4.5 inch blow hole to make some holes for some radiators PA 1203 on the top PA 1202 on the bottom and a 120mm Blow hole on the front. We tore it down and sent it in to be powder coated sky white per request of the owner. The owner already bought a mirror black duality and was extremely pleased with the finish over that of the black anodized G70. This is not the first time we've been sent in a LiLi for powder coating and probably wont be the last. If you like anodized - well I'd suggest taking a look at our website as we begin to manufacture them in volume.

Now when it comes to comparing cost of a Mountain Mods custom case to that of a modified LiLi or whatever have you thats apples and oranges. It is one thing to take a hole saw and cut some holes in an existing case and its entirely another to take a 3d design, manipulate it specifically for the customer, take that design and convert it to the programming for the $600,000 laser machine. Have it laser cut with precision in the flat and formed specifically for the single customer. Don't take this the wrong way post fabrication modification is a needed service as well, but price comparing the post fab modification to cost of design and prefabrication modification is just - well, wrong. Same thing with time comparisons of the two services.

Lastly in regards to the professional quality of Mountain Mods. Mountain Mods contracts with a manufacturing company in the USA that builds products for other companies such as Nike, Intel, Tektronix, Umpqua Bank and the US government to name a few. They have also secured a contract to build window frames for the new "Freedom Tower". They are a professional entity with 30+ years of metal manufacturing experience.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to ask any questions.
We highly appreciate the Xtreme Systems community!

Cheers.

Your company rocks! I love my MM case...:up:

Like I said before...I have had 5 Lian-Li's and wish I would have bought a MM sooner..:up:

Now after what you just wrote....I will ONLY buy from MM!:up: :clap:

Matt C.
09-20-2007, 10:17 AM
I may go with a MM U2..but i only want a brushed aluminum. and they dont have that with the "original" top :(

Grinch
09-20-2007, 10:28 AM
I may go with a MM U2..but i only want a brushed aluminum. and they dont have that with the "original" top :(

bet they can do it...:up:

just ask...

Matt C.
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
bet they can do it...:up:

just ask...

yeah, i'll prob call when i order.

too bad they just sold out of them, according to the website.

Baleful
09-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Given the price, youd better be willing to fork out a lot of cash for a custom one from MM. Some people have a hard enough time forking over 300 for a case let alone 350 base on a custom one from MM.

Well think about it... I now have a case, that i'll literally use forever... or untill it completely falls apart. But spending 550 for a case (that includes the custom work and all the parts) that will fit 2 120.3's and 1 120.2 EASILY is worth it to ME. I am different from YOU, so YOU may be comfortable with a TJ07 or LianLi or whatever. The point IS, I am happy with my MM, and I think it's worth it. That's just my .02 though.

Vapor
09-20-2007, 11:15 AM
I've owned 4 Lian Lis (loved them all in their own way....all were very different too, now that I think about it) and am eagerly waiting on my first MM case right now....a white powder coated custom case heavily based on the Duality. :D

I'm not even sure if I'll be watercooling (maybe a couple Swiftech Compacts...maybe) and it's still worth it to me. Then again, I'm putting two systems into it as well, something I'm not sure is possible with any other case on the market.

I've also gone the Performance-PCs route of having them mod a case loved it....but it was really simple stuff (still couldn't do it on my own :(). If I were out to build a killer WC setup, I'd go with a MountainMods for sure....so much flexibility and no modding needed :D

kohlersc
09-20-2007, 12:19 PM
In case you missed it Baleful, do you have any pics of your MM custom case that will hold all three of those rads?

Jedda
09-20-2007, 12:19 PM
To each his own. Some guys make some guys buy. It's that simple.
I'm in the middle but don't get the case to last forever thing. Anyone really believe ATX is the last?

MM have shone a little light on their operation. Of course, a 600,000$ machine has to break even some how and laser burn was the main reason given for powder coating Tom's new grills. So making a virtue of a necessity it seems.
I didn't realise they had the laser cutter.
Must say I'm surprised, given the square box, round hole designs I see in MM builds here.
Could be a lot more creative built in grill structures, you'd think.

Baleful
09-20-2007, 12:25 PM
In case you missed it Baleful, do you have any pics of your MM custom case that will hold all three of those rads?

I have pics at home. I'll post them when I get off work.

NaeKuh
09-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Baleful;2443400']Bah, you ran out of room because you have a standard UFO. Get a Custom UFO and the sky is the limit. I had one custom made where the MB sits like a Horizon, but it'll fit 2 PA120.3's, and 1 120.2 easy. Right now i've only got 1 120.3, and one 120.2 but i've still got plenty of room left. I'de say go custom all the way man.

im a very impatient person.

I like fast cars and fast computers, and most importantly, i like fast shipping. When i click buy, it better be sent out tommarrow or at the latest the day after.

thats why i <3 petras and jab-tech.

Customs can take weeks. Bah in a week i can lose the motivation to do the project. :P

Grinch
09-20-2007, 02:26 PM
im a very impatient person.

I like fast cars and fast computers, and most importantly, i like fast shipping. When i click buy, it better be sent out tommarrow or at the latest the day after.

thats why i <3 petras and jab-tech.

Customs can take weeks. Bah in a week i can lose the motivation to do the project. :P

A wiseman once said:

"Patience is a Virtue"

:up:

MountainMods
09-20-2007, 05:49 PM
well,

If it's that intresting to you, how about making that info public on your web page.

I'm a MM owner and as I said in my earlier post, I love my MM case and wouldn't have any problems recomending it, but given the pricing, turn around time on customization and short comming's it ain't all that.

There are cases out there, equal too or greater value than MM cases depending on what one is looking for.

I'm not saying you aren't justified in charging what you do for what you sell, but it's expensive as hell and you could stand to improve your quality a tad IMO.

Just that simple,

andyc

"If it's that intresting to you, how about making that info public on your web page."

As for making the info as to what we do or not do on our web page is no reason for you to go forth and say that we will not or do not do something is it? How did you come to the conclusion that we would not or did not do post custom fabrication on non Mountain Mod boxes? It would seem that you gathered this information from a false source, or you perhaps you made an assumption. Regardless of the source of the information it was false and you posted it with what seemed authority.

" As far as getting something modded that MM makes, that gets real expensive and the turn around time is horrible."

This statement is not entirely true either. We charge $10 minimum and $5 per blow hole to "Mod" a case. I think what you are referring to is the "Custom Case" charges. While other mod shops may refer to their modifications as custom cases - I'd pose the question are they really custom? It's just an off the shelf case that has a dremel or hole saw taken to it. As stated before the post fabrication modification service is a needed one as well, but entirely different then the incorporation of design, fabrication, production of a single case from a sheet of material to the end result.

"I'm not saying you aren't justified in charging what you do for what you sell, but it's expensive as hell and you could stand to improve your quality a tad IMO.'

I'd suggest doing some research on the manufacturing process and the cost of materials and manufacturing a single prototype at reputable manufacturing shops in the US before coming to a conclusion on expense.

MountainMods
09-20-2007, 05:51 PM
To each his own. Some guys make some guys buy. It's that simple.
I'm in the middle but don't get the case to last forever thing. Anyone really believe ATX is the last?

MM have shone a little light on their operation. Of course, a 600,000$ machine has to break even some how and laser burn was the main reason given for powder coating Tom's new grills. So making a virtue of a necessity it seems.
I didn't realise they had the laser cutter.
Must say I'm surprised, given the square box, round hole designs I see in MM builds here.
Could be a lot more creative built in grill structures, you'd think.

If you want Creative built in grill structures - this is of course something we can do. As for producing them in quantity with intricate designs - the open blow hole provides the greatest air flow and lowest noise from fan turbulence and the greatest flexibility for end user look.

MountainMods
09-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Of course we do, but for now they've all sold out. More stock coming early October.

Vapor
09-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Are custom orders still expected for early October? After seeing this thread, I'm getting kind of anxious for my custom case :D :p:

BTW, thank you for stopping by XS :)

Grinch
09-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I'd suggest you check into customer satisfaction and relationship classes. Because you just lost one with that attitude.

enjoy

andyc

I would say that MM was very professional in there responses...:up: :shrug:

NaeKuh
09-20-2007, 09:30 PM
A wiseman once said:

"Patience is a Virtue"

:up:

only if your old. :rofl:

oh wait... im almost there... :shakes:

Jedda
09-20-2007, 09:39 PM
I'd say over-sensetive to criticism.
Argueing the point with a customer is silly in a forum where if your product is any good satisfied customers will do it for you.

Must say, if round holes were so great Thermochill wouldn't sell so many grills and Tom wouldn't be shipping his all over the world.
Guess, CADCAM can release creativity or minimise the payroll. Both "professional" practice these days.

Matt C.
09-21-2007, 06:06 AM
after looking at some members U2's on here..

i think what i will do is order a U2 and put a PA120.3 on the front, and a PA120.2 on the rear

will a Swiftech D5 pump suffice. i only plan on a DD Ultra GPU block, and a G-Tek Fusion CPU block

MountainMods
09-21-2007, 07:09 AM
I'd suggest you check into customer satisfaction and relationship classes. Because you just lost one with that attitude.

enjoy

andyc

I apologize if you took my response as attitude. The suggestion of research was not intended to be construed as demeaning, but rather encouragement to research the costs of services provided so that you can come to a full conclusion of the costs.

MountainMods
09-21-2007, 07:10 AM
Are custom orders still expected for early October? After seeing this thread, I'm getting kind of anxious for my custom case :D :p:

BTW, thank you for stopping by XS :)

That is what we are pushing for.

MountainMods
09-21-2007, 07:16 AM
I'd say over-sensetive to criticism.
Argueing the point with a customer is silly in a forum where if your product is any good satisfied customers will do it for you.

Must say, if round holes were so great Thermochill wouldn't sell so many grills and Tom wouldn't be shipping his all over the world.
Guess, CADCAM can release creativity or minimise the payroll. Both "professional" practice these days.

We are open to criticism. We encourage customers to give us feedback and suggestions. The U2-UFO is now on it's 10th evolution as a chassis, widely based on customer feedback and criticism.

MountainMods
09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Agreed Jedda and thanks for your perspective as always,

Especially when that customer is an owner and stated may times they would recommend the product given the right circumstances. But to fair as a forum member, I have to respond to someones question honestly, giving both sides of the story based on my experience and opinion.

Wasn't expecting to get into a pissing contest with a vendor over a simple mistake...sheeeez. I little education without the attitude would have been nice.

If I was on the fence before regarding a LIan Li as my next build, I'm not now:)

andyc

Certainly you are entitled to your opinion, the only problem I had was that your initial post was not based on "Honesty" as I pointed out by misrepresentation of our services.

Patriote
09-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Guys, why not try to keep this on topic ? This was supposed to be something regarding "Are MM cases worth it?"...

I gave my opinion on that already :p:

ranker
09-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Worth it? Depends.

I own 3 MM cases: 1) 2 year old UFO 2) U2-UFO 3) Horizon

These cases will give you all the room in the world for the standard watercooling project. However, the temptation will be to cram even more stuff in.

The U2 is probably the favorite of my cases as it gives the best airflow. Aesthetically, the Horizon wins. However, with the mobo tray residing in the upper half of the case, the overall temps will suffer greatly: especially if not using an original top with the 2 fan cut-outs.

If you're not into serious case cutting/modding, I'd suggest purchasing a MM case as they take care of most of the work for you.

If you're looking for an even more custom look and the use of a dremel/jigsaw/holesaw doesn't scare you, then by all means save $200 and buy a Lian-Li or Silverstone case.

I chose the MM's because I was lacking spare time during the time of my builds. However, I can't see myself spending $400 over and over again for new cases especially when I'd like things done differently here or there.

The one thing I will say and will somewhat support McCoffey's opinion is that MM overcharges grossly on their custom hole manipulations. To get a Horizon with a Duality front, I was expected to pay an extra $50-100 (I got two different quotes)? That's a bit ridiculous. MM should offer to make these hole manipulations free of charge, especially at the prices they're charging. Small concessions like that to a customer will go a long way towards building a long term relationship without the customer feeling as if they're being nickeled and dimed each time.

When my family members and I go to the Mercedes dealership every few years, they don't charge us for the 'extras'. They know that they're better off giving us a few hundred here, maybe a thousand there, to win us over for a life time. And guess what, small acts of goodwill like that have made us life long customers with over 6 vehicles puchased/leased in the past decade.

The quality of the MM cases are great, but not astounding. I'm not sure how to explain this, but when you open the box of a Lian-Li/Silverstone case, you see small "wow's!" here and there. Maybe its the attention to detail? Maybe it's the packaging? I wasn't too happy when one of my cases came scratched and one window was shattered. 1$ in styrofoam peanuts isn't going to kill your profit margin.

Last but not least, I do believe the price needs to come down. MM stands out due to its different form factor. If the price were to sink below the $300 mark, I do believe you'll see a larger volume of sales as there's a psychological wall that's hit when someone is expected to pay that much for a case. I've recommended this case time and time again to my friends. However, the ones that refuse due to price, usually end up getting a TJ07 or a LL G70 which don't break the $300 barrier. I can see myself and others splurging once or twice, but who will continue to purchase things at such a price. MM needs to change their business strategy towards reoccurring sales instead of the "one-shot" dream machine that they seem to currently focus on. Before I purchased my string of MM cases, I had purchased Lian-Li cases for the past 7 years.

So, in essence, are MM cases worth it? Yeah. But, I don't expect them to continue to grow sales wise unless they start shoring up their deficiencies and re-evaluate the way they nickel and dime their customers. Let's face it, most of your sales come from the hardcore/power users that frequent these boards, HardOCP, etc. MM will never tackle the mass market unless they fix the issuess stated above.

From a proud owner of 3 MM cases, but definitely not a fanboy,
Karl "Ranker"

Jedda
09-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Good post, ranker!

Patriote
09-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Ranker, as always, freaking nice post. I have been reading all of your posts in times and i must admit that i always either think the same way as you do or completely agree with what you say LOL!