PDA

View Full Version : to intel from amd

monitorkeeper
09-17-2007, 09:53 PM
ive been thinking of changing my board and cpu. at the mo ive got a amd 6000, 3.3g... crosshair board.. i was thinking of going to the striker..... Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX6850 ache Socket 775. 3GHz x4 2x4MB . is this a big step to owning a true gaming pc??? or just over kill.

Psycho_eddie
09-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Try and hold out till AMD native quad arrives.... will be even better then intels current line up and you can slap one in your Am2 mobo (Phenom)

I wouldnt recomend buying the qx6850 way overpriced.. get a Q6600 G0 and overclock it personally saving £450!!

Your choice..

Kenetixx
09-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Your mOney Your decision, do what you want .:)

Ubermann
09-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Go for the Intel system, its faster.
And stop waiting =)

hipro5
09-17-2007, 10:32 PM
IF you NEDD SLI, then ASUS Striker is the only one.......IF you DON'T need SLI, AVOID the i680 chipset and go to a P35 one OR wait till the X38 comes out....;)

SOLDNER-MOFO64
09-18-2007, 01:40 AM
NO-ONE waits with AMD this long, then bails and buys an INTEL.

Gotta be the dumbest move I've ever seen regarding CPU's.

You'll never be happy.

Equil|briuM
09-18-2007, 03:47 AM
Stay with AMD.

Intel is full of as$holes.

There is enough corruption in this world without people funding the corrupt.

hipro5
09-18-2007, 04:15 AM
Stay with AMD.

:D :D

dinos22
09-18-2007, 04:24 AM
IF you NEDD SLI, then ASUS Striker is the only one.......IF you DON'T need SLI, AVOID the i680 chipset and go to a P35 one OR wait till the X38 comes out....;)

lol you really MUST have been too busy working to notice how :banana::banana::banana::banana: the quad core clocks on stiker and not on evga or xfx ;) :D >>> i am talking about quads with locked multi here for us mortals of course :D:D:D:D

hipro5
09-18-2007, 04:26 AM
lol you really MUST have been too busy working to notice how :banana::banana::banana::banana: the quad core clocks on stiker and not on evga or xfx ;) :D >>> i am talking about quads with locked multi here for us mortals of course :D:D:D:D

No....where?.....:D

Ubermann
09-18-2007, 06:11 AM
NO-ONE waits with AMD this long, then bails and buys an INTEL.

Gotta be the dumbest move I've ever seen regarding CPU's.

You'll never be happy.

Where does he say that he waited for anything ?
Read some reviews of current CPUs and decide what to get.

People like you soldner make other people wait forever and when the wait finally is over they have waited for nothing and still buy what they could have bought 1 year ago.

AMD=WAIT, WAIT A BIT MORE, JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE, SOON, JUST WAIT A BIT MORE, I KNOW YOU FEEL TIRED OF WAITING BUT JUST WAIT A TINY BIT MORE, AHH FINALLY DONE!! SORRY THAT YOU WAITED FOR NOTHING.

INTEL=RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW.

Sparky
09-18-2007, 06:19 AM
This thread better suited in gen hardware. Of course the AMD guys are going to tell you to stick with AMD more than likely ;)

For gaming you probably won't notice much of anything. Most games are only single threaded anyway so getting a quad won't help, and the 6000 is no slouch. I'd just save the money myself.

Morais
09-18-2007, 06:23 AM
dude, you got a high end computer...theres no need to upgrade now.If so, gave to me ur system,case i still on a s754 sempron:cool:

generics_user
09-18-2007, 06:36 AM

People like you soldner make other people wait forever and when the wait finally is over they have waited for nothing and still buy what they could have bought 1 year ago.

AMD=WAIT, WAIT A BIT MORE, JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE, SOON, JUST WAIT A BIT MORE, I KNOW YOU FEEL TIRED OF WAITING BUT JUST WAIT A TINY BIT MORE, AHH FINALLY DONE!! SORRY THAT YOU WAITED FOR NOTHING.

just like it was 6 months before C2D launch :rolleyes:

wait 1-2 more months so final K10 benches show up and slap in an K10 if performance is enough...

saves you 200$ on the motherboard if amd can reach intels speed and if you want the UBERNESS you can get a 45nm intel + X38 :yepp:

buying a C2D system now is just as dumb as buying a new amd sys+board without split power plane + HT 3 as both companies are oging to have new prods this year

afireinside
09-18-2007, 08:42 AM
If you feel the need for more power, switch to a full blown ddr3/penryn quad/x38 setup when they launch.

geforce man
09-18-2007, 09:00 AM
i can't imagine a 6000+ @ 3.3Ghz would be slow, by any means, if he thinks it is, im guessing that maybe other things need to be upgraded, faster HDD's, faster opticals, faster ram etc. yes AMD might be on the downswing right now, but a 3.3Ghz one? common guys, that would be like what, 5 fps slower than a 3.2Ghz 4 meg cache intel chip?

Sparky
09-18-2007, 09:12 AM
i can't imagine a 6000+ @ 3.3Ghz would be slow, by any means, if he thinks it is, im guessing that maybe other things need to be upgraded, faster HDD's, faster opticals, faster ram etc. yes AMD might be on the downswing right now, but a 3.3Ghz one? common guys, that would be like what, 5 fps slower than a 3.2Ghz 4 meg cache intel chip?

If that

games are more GPU than CPU dependent 99% of the time

Omastar
09-18-2007, 09:14 AM
At higher resolutions, of course, you become more GPU bound where I think the noticeable difference in gameplay between an E6600 and an X2 6000+ would be quite minimal.

Sparky
09-18-2007, 09:31 AM
At higher resolutions, of course, you become more GPU bound where I think the noticeable difference in gameplay between an E6600 and an X2 6000+ would be quite minimal.

Seriously, those with either CPU I should hope aren't still gaming at 800x600 anyway ;)

informal
09-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Yep ,and the difference between the e6600 and a Q6600@3.2Ghz would be also quite minimal in majority of games(in any resolution)-excluding one or two multithreaded ones.
So 6000+@3.3Ghz is good as it is.Better upgrade the graphics card or some Raptors in raid config to boost IO speed.

duploxxx
09-18-2007, 09:56 AM
if you know own a x2 6000@3.3 i don't see the added value to get rid of tis and go to Intel unless you want to throw away money.

first of it is fast enough for any current app/game unless high demanding on heavy multithread and uber high res/fpu gaming, but then again quad @ 1066fsb isn't magic either for heavy multithread.

yes it will be faster at any given time then the x2 setup you have. but how fast is fast and within a 2-3 months you're 1000$ cpu will be half the price and same for you're mobo. Already question why you would buy such a high-end mobo for any platform anyhow. The memory is also no added value on a c2d - c2q setup.

BeardyMan
09-18-2007, 09:58 AM
It would be waisted money ihmo :)

zornundo
09-18-2007, 10:18 AM
ive been thinking of changing my board and cpu. at the mo ive got a amd 6000, 3.3g... crosshair board.. i was thinking of going to the striker..... Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX6850 ache Socket 775. 3GHz x4 2x4MB . is this a big step to owning a true gaming pc??? or just over kill.

I name thee troll, with more money than sense.

BlazingArrow
09-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Stay with AMD.

lol i think it is just too funny when 'fanboy-ism' forces logical thinking and reason out the door.

b1lk1
09-19-2007, 05:19 PM
You will only notice a difference in benchmarks and programs that can run more than 2 threads making the changes you suggest. For gaming, they are pretty much equal as well as real world use.

ea6gka
09-20-2007, 03:53 AM

get a 8800 ultra

PhilDoc
09-20-2007, 04:16 AM
He's probably just jerking our chain, try to see if a flame war will develope. Notice he hasn't posted since the first post. Hmmmm

informal
09-20-2007, 04:20 AM
He's probably just jerking our chain, try to see if a flame war will develope. Notice he hasn't posted since the first post. Hmmmm

Yep,my conclusion too.

Kurz
09-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Yea... the only person who should be upgrading is me...
San Diego 3700+ (About to reoverclock it after i have time to mod my case)

Thats a single core my friend.

You wont notice a huge difference between your current set up to Intel's in real world experience. I only go to next gen if my hardware is getting outdated and my productivity is held back.

Hell I just upgraded my x800XL to x1950XT 512 for 170 bucks on ebay!
The CPU is still good for most use.

luismenendez
09-22-2007, 03:24 AM

You already got a true gaming machine; at least true for current games :cool:

SOLDNER-MOFO64
09-22-2007, 03:33 AM

Pffffffffft spoken like a true wimp.

The best things come to those who wait, or haven't you sussed this in life yet?

I don't make people WAIT for anything.....if you want INTEL go buy one.

The OP is an AMD user and obviously has had his machine for a while.....he STILL has an AMD now (over a year after C2D appeared) so has essentially STAYED with AMD for one reason or another.

AMD have just launched K10 after a healthy delay and BOOM....bright-boy here starts to consider buying an INTEL???????????????????? :rofl:

Yeeeeeeaaaaahhh ok, sure.............that's actually a great idea, why don't more of you do it?

TBH I think it may be a good idea for the OP to go ahead and purchase his 1337 INTEL GAMING RIG, since that way he'll migrate to the INTEL section where the rest of you live, and perhaps stop these flame-bait posts in the AMD section. I mean c'mon, who list a thread with this description in the AMD section when they AREN'T looking to start a flame-war?
:shakes:

AliG
09-22-2007, 04:06 AM
I say wait for yorkfield and phenom x4. We haven't seen what the b2 core does for k10's performance, and there's a b2f core coming out soon. But either way, I find buying a qx6850 right a waste of money because 45nm cpus are about to come out and those perform slightly better, but most importantly they don't run on fire like intel's 65nm quads do and they'll scale better because of the high k and metal gates

ohmygod1986
09-22-2007, 04:17 AM
Stick with your X2 6000+ ....

Not like this CPU run very slow :party:

:YIPPIE:

KTE
09-22-2007, 04:18 AM
He posted in the Intel and AMD section:

AMD: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159264
Intel: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159265

But it looks like he's genuine: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2438345#post2438345

monitorkeeper: you sound unfamiliar with many of these hardware yet very keen, and obviously able to splash out - lemme tell you something. Quad core market is very tiny... yet. Quad-core gains for a gamer are minimal to non-existent. Read this excellent article by a good fella at Benchzone showing you the gains are very minimal in most situations: http://www.benchzone.com/page.php?al=8800GTX_cpu_scaling

Don't kid yourself and stay with what you have, because its just totally throwing away silly money for you to upgrade, and especially now.

However, if you're extremely keen on following the advice that fella gave you in that thread about 3DMark06, and you're dying, and willing, to spend whatever to get higher points in a software benchmark by FutureMark, then go ahead and buy the quad core, because the X2 3000+ won't score as high as the quad core C2 in 3DMark06.

That seems like your only reason to want to buy a quad though, there's no justification for it any other way, unless you're extremely eager to compete in overclocks and so on. :)

BTW, CPU prices will fall as soon as new launches arrive, so its bad timing to want to shell out now - Xmas is the better time. ;)

v0dka
09-22-2007, 07:38 AM
KTE, as much as I like your posts normally, your view on the multithreaded business is a little bit outdated in my opinion. Enough games are multithreaded these days. Take Supreme Commander for example, a quad will really help you there.

And ofcourse, quads are great chips for ditributed computing. :yepp:

But youre right when you say people shouldnt fool themselves into expecting that there's gonna be much advantage over a reasonable dualcore (be it Intel or AMD).

KTE
09-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, I haven't given my opinion on multi-threaded games yet, just general gaming and his upgrading but FWIW here it is. ;)
Games are becoming more and more multi-threaded so is every other application. If you need a quad for other reasons, the Q6600 G0 is an excellent purchase no one in their serious mind can doubt. Operative words being realistic need. :)

But right now, how many games are multi-threaded and how many not: ratio?
AFAI can think of right now, its these:

Available/Upcoming: Warhammer, COD 2, TES 4: Oblivion, Tabula Rasa, Quake 3, Quake 4, SupCom, WOW, BioShock, MS Flight Sim X, GRAW 2, Stranglehold, ET: Quake Wars, Assassin’s Creed, The Witcher, HL 2: EP II, World in Conflict, Brothers in Arms: HH, Fury, Alan Wake, Crysis, UT 3.

Are there any more that I've missed?
How well do they scale with more than 2 cores?
How well do they scale in comparison to an extra GPU?
How well do they scale in comparison to a better GPU?

The ratio of multi-threaded to none is hugely lopsided ATM. Obviously it'll change. The new games coming out, DX10, are all very GPU limited.

If you want my opinion on just a quad, then obviously it has many positives like you hinted to v0dka. But monitorkeeper looks only to want to upgrade for "much better" game play.

"i was thinking of going to the striker..... Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX6850 ache Socket 775. 3GHz x4 2x4MB . is this a big step to owning a true gaming pc??? or just over kill."

Whilst I love the Kenty and the Striker matchup in general, wouldn't you agree that it's not advisable for him to upgrade to a completely different (and expensive) platform, already having his current high specs, only reason being to attain much better gaming?

That's my opinion anyway because I see a better GPU as far better for his gaming than 2+ cores right now, and I wouldn't advise anyone to upgrade to a quad right now for anything: I'd say wait till early December time where all the new goodies reveal and the older ones are dirt cheap! :D

Spawne32
09-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey listen you gotta look at the situation objectively, since i was 8 years old the only systems ive ever had were intel systems, when i built my first computer years ago, it was just when AMD released the Athlon 64 processor, and i went for it. You gotta go with the best, and thats that. If AMD stomped out Intel tomorrow morning, my next computer would be an AMD based computer, but the problem is, AMD is falling apart from the inside, its employee's, business tactics, and high ranking officials are what is causing its downfall, AMD is consistently behind the 8 ball on everything now adays, and it shows, you gotta base your decision off of what is right for you.

v0dka
09-23-2007, 04:01 AM
And another thought out post by KTE. :up:

We need more people with a solid way of reasoning (and less 10 year old's blurting out their typical black & white view on companies and their products).

Whilst I love the Kenty and the Striker matchup in general, wouldn't you agree that it's not advisable for him to upgrade to a completely different (and expensive) platform, already having his current high specs, only reason being to attain much better gaming?

Agreed. Look above.

scafT
09-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Stay with AMD.

amen :D

RedBull78
09-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Stay with AMD.

Hehehe , yeahhh this guy knows what hes talking about, he's probably into politics. So yeah, I too must say stop feeding the zionists terrorist state. :rofl:

KTE
09-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks... glad we could agree v0dka. :D

gOtVoltage
09-24-2007, 01:18 AM
To make it easy ,your 6000+ is running 3.5Ghz and its a fast X2 and all games for the time ,dont even utilize a X2 or C2D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Now that you know your AMD system ,Take the time to enjoy it...The only reason a stupit Intel will gain power in 3dmark is becuse of 4core speed..In real life gaming on the X2 with a 8800 or even a Intel Quad with 8800 there is no real game advantage differance....It comes down to Video Card Memory and Cores actually used....Its funny how games at the most are just now implementing the use of two core.... Which means, if you have a quad you also have two usless cores idling while gaming pretty much...

I mean Take a 3dmark06 score of say 13500 not bad for X2 two cores...Now if you double it which (3dmark does) for the Quad = 27000 ...Now thats double the speed of a X2 but plays games no faster, Oh maybe two fps by having a Quad:rofl: Dont waste your money...stick with your X2 for now youll see:yepp:

untill the All Mighty Chip Gods get thier $h i t together....AMD ,yes ive used since the day they were born...HHHHHHmmmmmm the last intel i owned was a x86 133mhz....:rofl: Even the tbirds were nice commpared too pII and first gen x64 to pIII and so on....The battle will always go back and forth for them...Right now AMD is like owning a sleeper HEMI if ya know what i mean....For the price and AMD only being 2cores (X2 ) You cant use 2core to compare against a quadcore....Now when the AMD gets thier 4core going then it will be chip wars all over again..

Remember when ATI thought it had the edge in the early FX/Nvidia days now look at Nvidia..I see the same for AMD they are much like Nvidia and even now own ATI ....In short i see a trend happening where AMD getting ready to unleash a extreme can of whipA#$ towards Intel:yepp: Now that AMD has had time to digest its ATI investment/tooling it can move on and go full tilt with its QuadCore Revenge..

PhilDoc
09-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Well, it looks like our friend who started this thread is getting what he wanted. You gotta love it, lol.

One thing everyone needs to remember in this thread is that he's suggesting spending, what, about $1500, for just the cpu and mb, to upgrade his system.

Now, I don't game much, I'm more into photo and video stuff, but from what I've seen, his current system would play games Just fine. Seems to me that what he's suggesting is spending a lot of money for just a short slide.

Imho, you could pretty much build two systems for that kind of money, that would play games just fine. They only way I would put out that kind of cash for a cpu and mb, is if I just had to have the fastest thing out there.

Now there's nothing wrong with wanting to have the biggest and badest machine. I've been there, done that, its fun, but its also very expensive, and not needed to have a very enjoyable computing and gaming experience.

i found nemo
09-24-2007, 09:04 AM
get a 5200+ like 125$ no biggie.

Sparky
09-24-2007, 09:30 AM
get a 5200+ like 125$ no biggie.

He already has a 6000+ @ 3.3GHz, why get the 5200+? :confused:

gOtVoltage
09-24-2007, 10:00 AM
He already has a 6000+ @ 3.3GHz, why get the 5200+? :confused::shocked: :rofl: i own 2 x6000+ 1 5600+ 1 4000+ and a 3200+ all AM2...

If i tried doing that with intel i could only own 1 quad with decent board...you see where im going with this in price to performance...To top it off, gaming the Quad is no better than the X2 once you hit a certain point..What i like is i can flash my mobo's to support AM2+ for Quad core when they come full force...I wont ever buy untill Chip Performance/price stablilizes well after release of any chip....Even if i were to ever buy a intel. I cant justify throwing$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$for one Top Intel system when i can biuld five from AMD and even have change to get my Starbucks:ROTF: :yepp: :up:

Im very happy with AMD and I try go for the Fastest you can get with a affordable price...AMD has that ...If IntelQuads were 160.00 for top of the line id would then maybe buy a Intel!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Skratch
09-24-2007, 11:03 AM
You know you wana taste the dark side lol,sorry I had to motivate the op.This is with air cooling

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1679/13861tg6.jpg

PhilDoc
09-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Congradulations, can it do back flips too. Yep, if I wanted to break the spi record I'd buy the best Intel setup available and get a cascade.

But, that's not what he's asking. He's asking if is wise to pay $1500 to upgrade his system to play games. The answer is no.

It's the law of deminishing returns. That's when you pay a bunch of money for a little improvement. Unless you had that burning desire to have the fastest thing out there, you'd be crazy to do it.

Now, if he was starting from scratch, then maybe go for a cheap quad 6600, but he already has a nice system that he's lose his investment on.

Just wait, they're are a lot of things comming up on both the Intel and AMD front. Get some use out of the investment you already made

Skratch
09-24-2007, 11:30 AM
He dosnt have to spend 1500,keep all his old guts and just swap out the mother board and cpu.400 bucks tops and sell the x2 and board on the side.

These things do perform well in other tasks also,never mind how well they do when you overclock them 1200 mhz faster than stock.

PhilDoc
09-24-2007, 11:43 AM
And if he waits 6 months he could get what you porpose for $300 or even get something better for the same price. Get 6 months use out of his setup and sell it then for the same price he'd get for his used stuff now.

But considering how well some of the stuff in the for sale section, he may not be able to sell it at all. Now, or in 6 months.

Bigchrome
09-24-2007, 11:46 AM
For games? No, no absolute way... If you just want it for owning perf. in everything else then wait for yorksfield and X38...if you must have it now Q6600, P5K or DFI p35 and crucial ballistix PC8500. End. Of. Story. gOtVoltage....27k is roughly the 06 WR...you do not EVER go from 13k to 27k because of quad so cop yourself on.

Skratch
09-24-2007, 11:51 AM
See thats the problem with tech,you keep waiting and waiting.I have wasted my time with AMD and made the jump last year(I'm so glad I didn't wait anylonger)AMD has nothing crazzy coming out in 6 months and there quad cores are going to be over 500 alone for just the chips.Intel already hit there huge price cuts and you can pick up a q6600 for under $265,waiting 6 months will prolly save you 40 bucks and another half year of wasting time waiting on AMD.

An overclocked q6600 will beat even the mighty barcelonas because they can't clock well.

put it this way

265 for a q6600 that will do 3.6 with ease.
or
500 for a native bacelona that wont break 3ghz

The sad part is the q6600 still holds up well with the k10s and when overclocked makes it a no brainer.

PhilDoc
09-24-2007, 12:18 PM
See thats the problem with tech,you keep waiting and waiting.I have wasted my time with AMD and made the jump last year(I'm so glad I didn't wait anylonger)AMD has nothing crazzy coming out in 6 months and there quad cores are going to be over 500 alone for just the chips.Intel already hit there huge price cuts and you can pick up a q6600 for under $265,waiting 6 months will prolly save you 40 bucks and another half year of wasting time waiting on AMD.

An overclocked q6600 will beat even the mighty barcelonas because they can't clock well.

put it this way

265 for a q6600 that will do 3.6 with ease.
or
500 for a native bacelona that wont break 3ghz

The sad part is the q6600 still holds up well with the k10s and when overclocked makes it a no brainer.

Are you a magician, you must have ESP of some kind, wow, can you tell me who's going to win the world series. We and you know very little about what Barcelona is going to do. Besides that the Intel cpu's that are comming up might just destroy the q6600.

The thing is that anyone who has an adequate system, which he does, right know should just wait. Why waste you money now only to be bummed later. If he was running a FX-55 or some other single core, then by all means upgrade.

Could he have something quicker, sure. Did he make a mistake in what he bought, maybe. The thing is, unless you have money to burn, you make one upgrade and then wait for the next round.

Skratch
09-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I guess you havnt seen any of the barecolona benchies yet.Its nothing what it was hyped up to be.You do know you can by k10s on new egg right?IN 6 months AMD will likely scale there chips to 3 ghz and maybe do 3.2-3.3 while they will perform,the bang for the buck will favor intel,just like AMD had the better bang for the buck years ago.

Ill make you a frendly bet that AMD will be exatly where it is today in 6 months from now and Intel will have its 45nm main stream.Either way the new intels will be priced way to high and the q6600 will still be king of the bang for buck wars.

Sparky
09-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Skratch, how you "know" that Phenom X4 is going to be $500 is beyond me, there is no way for you to know that for certain :rolleyes:

But that is TOTALLY :off:

He said for gaming. Not spi. Not breaking clock records. For gaming there are only a few that use dual cores. Going quad is not going to help him with gaming in any noticeable way at all. a 3.3GHz K8 is perfectly capable of any games out there right now. So it really makes no sense to spend anything on a new mobo/CPU platform, especially what he was considering anyway.

PhilDoc
09-24-2007, 03:58 PM
I guess you havnt seen any of the barecolona benchies yet.Its nothing what it was hyped up to be.You do know you can by k10s on new egg right?IN 6 months AMD will likely scale there chips to 3 ghz and maybe do 3.2-3.3 while they will perform,the bang for the buck will favor intel,just like AMD had the better bang for the buck years ago.

Ill make you a frendly bet that AMD will be exatly where it is today in 6 months from now and Intel will have its 45nm main stream.Either way the new intels will be priced way to high and the q6600 will still be king of the bang for buck wars.

LMAO, yes, I've seen them. From what I've a Bacelona at 2G is about equal to a Xeon running at about 2.4G, and that was running a crippled Barcelona. That 3G you're talking about would make things very interesting, especially concidering the Barelona looks like it may scale better. LMAO

Not only that, but we're not even talking about what Intel will bring to the table in 6 months. Like I said the little q6600 will probably be yesterdays news. No thanks, I'll wait till the beginging of the year.

funnyperson1
09-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I don't think thats a big step towards owning a true gaming pc. The CPU you have now is fine for games since most games that are demanding are demanding on the GRAPHICS CARD.

If you were buying a new system in that price range, no question I would tell you to get a C2D or a C2Q. However, since you already have a great gaming system, stay with it until you find a game that you can't play at the settings you want to. Prices are only going to go down, so buying later is much smarter than buying now when you won't see any real benefits in actual games.

Skratch
10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
LMAO, yes, I've seen them. From what I've a Bacelona at 2G is about equal to a Xeon running at about 2.4G, and that was running a crippled Barcelona. That 3G you're talking about would make things very interesting, especially concidering the Barelona looks like it may scale better. LMAO

Not only that, but we're not even talking about what Intel will bring to the table in 6 months. Like I said the little q6600 will probably be yesterdays news. No thanks, I'll wait till the beginging of the year.

lol ok in what benchmark?The one where even a plane jane k8 beats the core arch?

Will see what happens in 6 months,I guarenty you my q6600 will hold its own at its over clocked level against anything from both camps and I know AMD wont touch it because there yeilds will be poor.

At this time when core was out it had benchmarks every where and people where doubting its power until realese.Now AMD fans are saying there chips are crippled,bad bios,mother board ect.

I challenge you to a battle of the benchmarks once you get your barcelona and we will see how much better the barcelona really is.

I still to this day havnt seen a real test of the barcelona,only a handpicked bandwith limited mark.

Some people still dont realise the power of a q6600 running at 3.6-3.7 ghz

PhilDoc
10-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Damn, dude, why wait over a week. Hopefully it didn't take that long for a response. Hopefully, you just got bored.

Iirc the original question and what this thread is about is if this guy should buy a q6600 now or keep what he has and wait.

Lets see, the reviews. The ones I've seen show the Barc at 2G to be roughly equivalent to a Quad Xeon at about 2.4G. Dont know what the Phenom will do, but if they get around 3G they'll be competitive.

Even if they don't Intel at the begining of the year has already mapped out cpus that will outperform the q6600, probably outclock, and probably be in the same price range that you payed.

Look at what Kinc did with a qx6950 already. I'll probably cost about the same as the qx6850 does now when it hits the market.

The q6600 G0 is a nice cpu at a good price and if I needed to build right now I would certainly consider it, but Like I said in 3 months or so it'll be yesterdays news, just like the older steppings of the q6600 are already.

Sorry, its just the nature of the business. For my money, I'll just wait to see what AMD brings to the table and if they don't look good, I'll pick up one of the new Intel cpus and imho so should the person who started the thread.

LowRun
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Will see what happens in 6 months,I guarenty you my q6600 will hold its own at its over clocked level against anything from both camps and I know AMD wont touch it because there yeilds will be poor.

Seems like your high res crystal ball didn't heard about penryn and is making some of the poorest speculation about phenom :rolleyes:

Sparky
10-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Some people still dont realise the power of a q6600 running at 3.6-3.7 ghz

What I hear is....
You don't know the powa of the dark side!!
http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/darth-vader-gloves-3.jpg

:lol:

MikeB12
10-05-2007, 02:22 PM
to intel from amd

i thought this was gonna be one of those jealous ex girlfriend type letters... you know the ones with pictures... ;)

JumpingJack
10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Try and hold out till AMD native quad arrives.... will be even better then intels current line up and you can slap one in your Am2 mobo (Phenom)

I wouldnt recomend buying the qx6850 way overpriced.. get a Q6600 G0 and overclock it personally saving £450!!

Your choice..

Unfortunately, most likely not... Nov/Dec.-ish we will see for sure. But the initial data does not bode well for DT performance.

Skratch
10-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Seems like your high res crystal ball didn't heard about penryn and is making some of the poorest speculation about phenom :rolleyes:

actually I will be slaping a penryn right in my board when the time comes around.A q6600 running @ 3.6 will hold its own and for the money I might not even bother upgrading it and skip to what ever is best from either side in a year or two.

6 months is not long at all...Ill be suprised if even k10 will be at 3ghz by then

bypolar
10-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Uberman Nice Avitar!!;)

There is hope yet.:cool:

Nikolasz
10-06-2007, 12:37 AM
I say go for the best what market can offer

Nikolasz
10-06-2007, 12:43 AM
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html

Epicenter
10-06-2007, 02:38 PM
IF you NEDD SLI, then ASUS Striker is the only one.......IF you DON'T need SLI, AVOID the i680 chipset and go to a P35 one OR wait till the X38 comes out....;)\
Why would you pay for something so outlandishly overpriced as the Striker.. or most of ASUS' high end offerings. I guess they charge so much because they know some people will pay that much. Ridiculous. Especially when their reliability seems to be nothing to write home about since K8's arrival.

gOtVoltage
10-06-2007, 05:47 PM
For games? No, no absolute way... If you just want it for owning perf. in everything else then wait for yorksfield and X38...if you must have it now Q6600, P5K or DFI p35 and crucial ballistix PC8500. End. Of. Story. gOtVoltage....27k is roughly the 06 WR...you do not EVER go from 13k to 27k because of quad so cop yourself on.

Please@ Quad scores vs X2 scores there a good 10-20%increase based on CPU alone..I purposely posted it as double to make a point about X2 vs Quad...

All im saying is that Based on if you have a (Quad @3.7-4.0ghz or X2@3.5-3.6ghz) your score will be 2000-4000 points lower than if you had a QUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

The next time you submit a 3DmarkScore look @ the CPU score which Accounts for 1/4 for X2's and 1/3 of the overall score with a Quad and you will see what im talking about....Sli scores are way up to 24000+ with Quads@3.7ghz and higher and only 3Dscores average 16000+-18000+ for X2's@3.5ghz....WorldRecord is above 26000++ for a QUADs @4.2ghzand higher...I could care less, So what if a Quad has higher 3Dmark score It should running more cores with less task..I look @ the SM2 and SM3 score which is the VideoCard, For the most part ive seen no change in performance while gaming with a Quad or X2 using a HIGHEND Video card .So why waste money on a new Quad vs keeping a X2,when for gaming there is no real differance at this time...

PhilDoc
10-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Please@ Quad scores vs X2 scores there a good 10-20%increase based on CPU alone..I purposely posted it as double to make a point about X2 vs Quad...

All im saying is that Based on if you have a (Quad @3.7-4.0ghz or X2@3.5-3.6ghz) your score will be 2000-4000 points lower than if you had a QUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

The next time you submit a 3DmarkScore look @ the CPU score which Accounts for 1/4 for X2's and 1/3 of the overall score with a Quad and you will see what im talking about....Sli scores are way up to 24000+ with Quads@3.7ghz and higher and only 3Dscores average 16000+-18000+ for X2's@3.5ghz....WorldRecord is above 26000++ for a QUADs @4.2ghzand higher...I could care less, So what if a Quad has higher 3Dmark score It should running more cores with less task..I look @ the SM2 and SM3 score which is the VideoCard, For the most part ive seen no change in performance while gaming with a Quad or X2 using a HIGHEND Video card .So why waste money on a new Quad vs keeping a X2,when for gaming there is no real differance at this time...

I agree completely. I've looked at the ORB for the card I'm using. What I was amazed to find out was that with similar clock speeds on the video card. My SM2 and SM3 scores were higher than the quads. Here's a few examples. A couple of quads and one dual. Now it could be the OS or drivers and maybe the card bottlenecking the Intels, but it seems to me at similar clock on the card, my SM2 and SM3 score are going to be equal or better. Its only the cpu score that give them the higher score. Makes me think Intel had some influence on how the test was designed.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=2680389

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=2345378

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=3297202

Spawne32
10-06-2007, 08:36 PM
What I hear is....
You don't know the powa of the dark side!!
http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/darth-vader-gloves-3.jpg

:lol:

You know i just came into this thread to post that exact line, and here you go already dun it :rofl::ROTF: