PDA

View Full Version : Burning in P4C's, Does it Help?

Kunaak
07-11-2003, 09:57 PM
not having any use for my usual arsenal of super cooling toys, I been using air alone for my P4 stuff, and although my Air cooling is the best I can get, it's still just air...
being spoiled with a prometiea and waterchillers, watercooling and TEC's, Air just doesn't compare.

so I haven't been overclocking all that much recently :(
but I have been burning my ram in like mad for days on end, and today I began wondering about running seti 24 hours a day cause it signifigantly upps my temps, from 30C to 48C over about 20 hours straight use...
today for the hell of it, I began running 3 ghz from my 2.4C with the 5:4 ratio cause it's nice and easy and stable, again running seti all day like this.
but seeing the high temps rise over the hours of constant seti use, I wonder if it can be considerd burning in...

either way, these P4C's burn through Seti WU's like crazy, and seti does get the temps quite high over the hours, be nice if it helps make it more OC friendly when I finally can get a P4 Kit for my Prometeia ;)

sandman
07-11-2003, 10:19 PM
Yea, it would be burning it in. If you're temps rise 18C, you usually don't have real great case cooling.

What kind of case cooling do you have?

BTW, welcome to air cooling :(

Kunaak
07-11-2003, 10:35 PM
a case?
I haven't used the side of a case in about a year.
all ambient, all the time.
so the temps are definatly from the CPU doing the 100% work for 20 hours+ a day.

;)

sandman
07-11-2003, 10:40 PM
haha, don't I feel dumb.

Just seemed like a big increase.

Hope it gets you a big increase from burning in then ;)

Kunaak
07-11-2003, 11:09 PM
I won't know for awhile till I can get a P4 Kit for the prometiea :(
I been waiting forever for just one place in america to have them in stock and been waiting over a month now... sad how easy it is to get a prometeia, but you can't get the parts for it anymore :(

I know I have the side to my cases here somewhere, just I can't remember the last time I saw them ;)

Creative
07-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Well if its any conselation, I was able to run my old 2.8 at a lower vcore after about 2 weeks at the same speed.....eg 3.85 ran at 1.68 instead of the usual 1.75 that i had been running for the first 2 weeks :)

Im also noticing that I am needing about .05 less for the same ocs today after thrashing the 2.6 overnight, and can even prime at speeds that wouldnt prime at lastnight....eg Im priming 275fsb atm @ 1.60vcore and lastnight it wouldnt even work at 1.70vcore :banana:

Touch wood it doesnt go kaput on me :D
hehehehe

sandman
07-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Kunaak
I won't know for awhile till I can get a P4 Kit for the prometiea :(
I been waiting forever for just one place in america to have them in stock and been waiting over a month now... sad how easy it is to get a prometeia, but you can't get the parts for it anymore :(

I know I have the side to my cases here somewhere, just I can't remember the last time I saw them ;)

Did chip-con like switch over to all MAch II stuff or something?

I knew you'd been looking, but I figured you had it atleast lined up by now.

Sucks you can't find it......:down: