PDA

View Full Version : new computer problems

masterg
09-13-2007, 09:18 PM
i just got new parts in to upgrade a 7 year old dell of mine, im turning it into a custom build:
some amd sempron 64bit mobo; goal 3+ sis 761gx 965L
EN7200gs asus 256 video
Maxtor 80gb hdd
amd sempron 3000+
512 kingston DDR 400 RAM
cdrom, floppy

this is my back up pc and it sux by default, but
its has a 350W PSU and the HDD has bent prongs and somethings falling off;

when i start it up it turns on, and goes to a windows startup selection, i click start windows normaly and then the computer shuts down and reboots and i dont know whats wrong, whether its a weak PSU or something with the hdd

please help

masterg
09-13-2007, 10:07 PM
hooked it up to a antec tru power 2.0 430w dual rail and still craps out at the windows select screen :shrug:

akaBruno
09-13-2007, 10:48 PM
You prolly have to reload Windows over top of itself or a fresh load.

FlawleZ
09-14-2007, 12:11 AM
It's more than likely 1 of 2 things. Either your system is crashing upon loading Windows because its unstable, in which your RAM is likely to blame.

Or

Your OS needs a reinstall and you should just perform a clean reformat.

Is your system overclocked any?

masterg
09-14-2007, 10:05 AM
the computer is brand new built it my self, it is not overclocked as i do not need it to be. the RAM is brand new gauranteed to work, i tried starting w/o ram and wouldnt turn on but it turns on with the ram;

the HDD is old and slightly damaged, but there are programs and software that are installed and locked into the computer that i cant transfer out but i need access to them and a usb hookup wont allow me to use those programs so i need a way to get this HDD to work as a master some how

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm no expert, but it sounds like the HDD is the problem. You said the system is new, but the HDD is old. What type of system was the HDD running on before. It may be having trouble because your using a different mb with a different HDD controller.

akaBruno
09-14-2007, 10:28 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

You won't lose your stuff. You will have to reactivate it though.

masterg
09-14-2007, 10:31 AM
!!!WARNING!!!
IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO LAUGH PLEASE DO SO

cause my old pc sux to say the least lol

uh

Intel celeron 800mhz 400FSB
some Dell board with no real description, but has a NB: Intel 810 and SB:FW82801AA - no idea what that means but it sux
256 RAM (cause it couldnt handle any more then that)
128mb radeon 7500 (cause couldnt handle any more then that)
1 Cdrw+ 48x but pc wouldnt let it run above 5x >.>
floppy
80gb maxtor drive

this thing was a piece of trash when i bought it, the dell guys i called for tech support also agreed with tis statement

masterg
09-14-2007, 11:18 AM
i put it on cd boot first and it wont boot to the cd, it still comes to the windows select startup screen and reboots and also after about 3mins of running just shut off completely, so i do think something is wrong with the PSU, the 450watt's fan isnt running so i think it is damaged and that may be why its turning off >.>

masterg
09-14-2007, 11:27 AM
it came up hit any key to boot cd, i hit a regular key id go to the windows startup select, i hit f8 takes me to setup page >.>

masterg
09-14-2007, 02:08 PM
when i reconnect my old pc together and start it up,it boots up on the hdd without a problem, so i dont know what is going on now, but my new mobo doesnt have video support anymore

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 02:12 PM
when i reconnect my old pc together and start it up,it boots up on the hdd without a problem, so i dont know what is going on now, but my new mobo doesnt have video support anymore

As I said in a previous post. You're using an old windows install on a different chipset and different controller. Sometimes that works, others it doesn't.

masterg
09-14-2007, 02:14 PM
but even worse, i put a new hdd on my new mobo and it doesnt work, i think my broken psu must have fried something cause i have no video support on my new mobo and it has onboard video O.o

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Damn sorry to hear that.

akaBruno
09-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Don't give up just yet. Try one stick of ram in the last socket. Reseat everything. Try a different vid card if you have to.

nn_step
09-14-2007, 02:58 PM
let me see if I am getting this correct, you are using the cheapest ECS mobo that they make and you wonder what might be your problem?
Here is an idea, why don't you return that $1.50 Mobo and get yourself an actually mobo from a known good manufacturer with a known quality chipset.

masterg
09-14-2007, 03:00 PM
cause this pc sux and i dont have the money to upgrade it all the way, i just need a way to get that info off that hdd, and a usb slave thingy wont let me access it

nn_step
09-14-2007, 04:07 PM
in that case, use a working PC. Insert the drive as a slave and then extract the data from it.

masterg
09-14-2007, 04:19 PM
it is IDE and all my working pcs sata so id have to knock some roms. but most the files i need off of it are files like office and alot of other programs locked into my directory, when i usb'd it those files were locked, will i be able to access them as a slave?

nn_step
09-14-2007, 04:22 PM
it is IDE and all my working pcs sata so id have to knock some roms. but most the files i need off of it are files like office and alot of other programs locked into my directory, when i usb'd it those files were locked, will i be able to access them as a slave?

locked as in encrypted or as in unable to copy?

masterg
09-14-2007, 04:29 PM
locked as in anything in a my documents file is "unable to access file" and when i usb'd it nothing was able to open, i open a movie "error unable to open, shutting down", drag and drop did the same thing

nn_step
09-14-2007, 04:46 PM
are you sure that the files are not corrupted?

masterg
09-14-2007, 04:56 PM
when i hook up the HDD to the really crappy pc it came from, all the files open up normally, its just it take so long and want to access them faster then the pc provides

masterg
09-14-2007, 04:58 PM
when i tried networking the pc it said the drive was private and unable to be shared, i switched it to share.

do you think that caused the unable to access?

nn_step
09-14-2007, 04:59 PM
when i hook up the HDD to the really crappy pc it came from, all the files open up normally, its just it take so long and want to access them faster then the pc provides

in that case, use the crappy PC to get the files you want off.

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Was going to ask the same question. On another note, you could reload windows without formating, that would keep all of your files and any programs that aren't installed. Office would not run but the files should be accessible. Now if they're corrupted, then you'd need some type of data recovery software to get anything. To get the video working just plug in 7500 for now.

masterg
09-14-2007, 05:04 PM
im trying, but im just not a ntework guy, i see both computers in network devices but when i try to access one from the other i either get unable to open, talk to administratot (new to old) or; unable to access please typle password (old to new) i dont have a password though

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Can you get into the properties of the file and change the accessiblity

masterg
09-14-2007, 05:07 PM
i un-privated the drive and im able to get alot of the files now, but am still unable to get to some such as movie files (mov, mpg, avi, wmv)

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Strange, well I would probably try to reinstall windows on it, no format. That will keep the files intact.

also have you tried to copy the files to your other HDD and see if that works

masterg
09-14-2007, 05:20 PM
the only programs and info that i want but cannot get is my addressbook from outlook, when i open it on my old HDD, it opens my current OE and not my old one. also program files wont run such as office or any of the games.

will making this HDD a slave change that and allow me to use those programs>?

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Doubtful, but if you can locate the file outlook uses to store the info, you can then find the same file on your old HDD. Copy the old file into what Outlook is currently using. That should give you access to the old info. You may want to make a backup of the current Outlook file

Lost an old gf's address. Just kidding btw

masterg
09-14-2007, 05:37 PM
about the files or about the gf? :P

masterg
09-14-2007, 05:42 PM
does any1 know how i can re download and install outlook express? on my good pc a few months ago i downloaded a game trial from the manu website and had a corrupted file that damaged some programs including my outlook express. now anytime i open a message the message contents do not appear, so was wondering if any1 knows how to fix or get a new copy cause i dont wanna pay 100$ for outlook 2007 when outlook express is way easier and nicer to use.

i have outlook on my old HDD but i dont know how thats going to work lol

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 05:45 PM
You could try to install delet programs, windows options. Delete the option for Outlook and then reinstall it. Not sure if that's possible. Or maybe try to update outlook.

Was just kidding about the rest.

masterg
09-14-2007, 05:54 PM
:P

i just dont know where to go for outlook express, i go to comcast my email ppl, and they say go to microsoft but...

the info on outlook express in microsoft is hard to navigate, they have regular outlook they advertise that everywhere but im not paying 100$ for a PoS when the free version is better

justapost
09-14-2007, 06:01 PM
does any1 know how i can re download and install outlook express? on my good pc a few months ago i downloaded a game trial from the manu website and had a corrupted file that damaged some programs including my outlook express. now anytime i open a message the message contents do not appear, so was wondering if any1 knows how to fix or get a new copy cause i dont wanna pay 100$ for outlook 2007 when outlook express is way easier and nicer to use.

i have outlook on my old HDD but i dont know how thats going to work lol
Not an exact answer to your question but it might solve the mail reading problem. You can install thunderbird and import your outlook express stuff.
A note about that disc problem you have. It realy sounds like a corrupted disc.
Have you tried smartmontools to check the disc's integrity? (a fast way to detect errors on hd's).

masterg
09-14-2007, 06:07 PM
microsoft wants 60$ to review my problem with outlook express, no friggin way

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't give them the money either. Must be a way to do this. Unfortunatley, Im running Vista and Outlook via Office. Maybe one the suggestions above.

masterg
09-14-2007, 06:26 PM
found a supported OE6 download from a software website, i hope it works and i have my virus program actively running just in case lol

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Good luck :up:

masterg
09-14-2007, 06:40 PM
phailed :( there was even an outlook express repair program to repair corrupted folders,

unable to repair the folders >.>

masterg
09-14-2007, 06:43 PM
i downloaded thunderbird, exact same thing as OE but different name lol.

im impressed <3

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 06:52 PM
try to copy the outlook folders to a different location. It may be that its on a bad portion of the HDD

masterg
09-14-2007, 06:55 PM
yes, the folders are corrupted, and when i import them to any other client they are readable, that thunderbird is eazy and nice

PhilDoc
09-14-2007, 06:57 PM
very good, congrats :up:

masterg
09-14-2007, 09:35 PM
thank you all for the help, just got back from shipping my mobo back RMA