PDA

View Full Version : Power supplies for 24v pelts?

cowpuppy
07-11-2003, 09:50 AM
I ordered My pelts from Danger Den today. I ordered 1 226w pelt for my cpu and 2 172w pelts one for the N.Bridge and one to stick in my swifty gpu block.

I'm Interested in the power supplies that extrem members are using to power thier 24v pelts or any good suggestions.

saaya
07-11-2003, 11:50 AM
check ebay, youll find some really cheap good psus eventually! meanwell powersupplys are the best i think and not too expensive.

cowpuppy
07-12-2003, 06:20 AM
The meanwell is a 12v power supplies
The pelts are "24v" and 11.3 amps each so I need a power supplies that will put out in excess off 24v and 22 amps The ones I have seen on line are about 375.00 :eek:

I am going to purchase a pyrimide power supples to power the 226w pelt. The meanwell just meets the requirments of this pelt and you wont bring out its full potential unless you send 15v to the pelt.

Please post your 24v powersupplies

saaya
07-12-2003, 10:03 AM
there are 24v meanwell powersupllies as well afaik. and 400$ for a 24v 22A psu is about as much as they cost... :(

if been looking for a cheap psu for tecs for months...

the best i found was a 12v 12A psu on ebay for 50€ , but then some 4sshole got it for 100€ :/

cowpuppy
07-12-2003, 10:33 AM
I found one on ebay a 24v 18 amp supplies has one bid on it for 9.95 I think I'll sneak in and put a last minuite bid on it on the last day :cool:

How much of a sacrifice would I be making being the psu is only rated @18 amps vrs the 22.6 draw of the TEC's? Would the TEC's over load this psu?

cowpuppy
07-16-2003, 03:54 PM
I recieved my pelts from Danger Den today now I'm just waiting on my psu I order the pyrimde 15v 36amp to run my 226w pelt http://store.yahoo.com/hypeaudio/ps36kx.html and it was shipped today.

I was wondering if my Asus N.Bridge heat sink would work as a cold plate if I machined the fins off? Any thoughts on this? The sink is just a hair smaller than the pelt.

Does the Danger Den Z-Block cover the hole pelt? 40x40

SpicyHuevos
07-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Bah car jumper cables!
14 volts and 100amps only way to fly:)
Cost $50c in gas

Weapon
07-19-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by cowpuppy
The meanwell is a 12v power supplies
The pelts are "24v" and 11.3 amps each so I need a power supplies that will put out in excess off 24v and 22 amps The ones I have seen on line are about 375.00 :eek:

I am going to purchase a pyrimide power supples to power the 226w pelt. The meanwell just meets the requirments of this pelt and you wont bring out its full potential unless you send 15v to the pelt.

Please post your 24v powersupplies

Unipower 24VDC 50A Power Supply
UNIPOWER Corp. power supply, Model JP5000 single output 24VDC 50A (max Watts 1200). Input Voltage is 115/230 VAC, freq. 50/60Hz.

currently at $55.
1 day 21 hours remaining on the auction.

that should do it. :D

cowpuppy
07-19-2003, 04:54 PM
Weapon: I just wanted to say thanx 4 the tip. This is a exellent find. The last psu I was bidding on sold out from under me. Hopefully i will be able to nab this one.

Would it be to much to ask If you would remove that link to that psu in your post. I really need that psu. Thanx

Weapon
07-20-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by cowpuppy
Weapon: I just wanted to say thanx 4 the tip. This is a exellent find. The last psu I was bidding on sold out from under me. Hopefully i will be able to nab this one.

Would it be to much to ask If you would remove that link to that psu in your post. I really need that psu. Thanx

link??? what link?

:D

cowpuppy
07-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Thanx Weapon. :toast: 20hrs left and its all mine.:D

Weapon
07-20-2003, 02:31 PM
good luck with the bidding...if you get that for anything under $150 you are getting a he11 of a deal. :D

I managed to nab a Lambda industrial wattbox off of ebay a few months back - new in box with manuals etc etc. got it dirt cheap and then went to the site to check the specs just for the fun of it --- they had the retail price for the one I got listed at $1200++. I almost fell out of my chair. rofl.

cowpuppy
07-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Weapon: I just wanted to say thanx agian. I won the bid @77.00$. The bidding was frantic at least on my end. Someone out bid me and then as i'm tryin to place anouther bid I couldnt find my sighn in name. With 1.5 min left (mind you i'm on dial up) I got a bid in. And then out bidded agian with a mad scury to place one last bid w/ 40 sec left it went threw :toast:

I have my pyramid psu sitting here now and will be getting the tec for the cpu hooked up tomorrow.

Thanx agian cowpuppy

Weapon
07-21-2003, 10:46 PM
no prob -- glad to hear you got the PSU. :toast:

That sounds about like my usual ebay shananigans....I finally find whatever I am looking for only to have the last second frantic bidding war with the occasional kick from the ISP to add extra stress into the situation. :rolleyes:

Those situations have me looking at the "buy it now" button more and more. :)

cowpuppy
08-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Well I finally recived my 24v 50amp PSU and am looking fwd to wirring it up at work tonight and testing out the voltage. I noticed it has a v/pot on the back, should I run the TEC @24v's or just a but hair under? over?
I cant wait to get it hooked up to my GPU. I already installed my 172w TEC in the swiftech and have been running it off my 15v psu for the last week or so.

zippyc
08-05-2003, 12:55 PM
You can run your pelts at maximum rated v. for benching and high overclocks, but I'd reccomend you run them at a voltage lower for best cooling for your $$$.

Where is your heat going, out the radiators and into your room? If so, you may want to run your system at like 60% voltage on the pelts for the 24/7 stuff.

You get like 4x the heat but less than 2x the cooling power turning a pelt from 50% to 100% voltage.

And don't overvolt your pelt. You could damage it.

Looking forward to your results...

cowpuppy
08-06-2003, 06:19 AM
I dont think this PSU is going to work it was listed as a 24v 50amp dc output but it seams to be AC power output and is only puting out about 14v it wont even run a TEC at all here is a link to its specs http://www.unipower-corp.com/Unipower_Corporation_Complete_/J/J-ds.pdf can someone help me out with this?

cowpuppy
08-06-2003, 07:12 AM
Well I got a hold of unipower corp and they walked me threw getting it working proparly. my dumb (_]_) had it wired up wrong

uclajd
08-20-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by zippyc
You get like 4x the heat but less than 2x the cooling power turning a pelt from 50% to 100% voltage. You got any links on this?

Are all of these 226 pelts really 24V?

wymjym
08-20-2003, 06:23 AM
FYI,
there is no linear relationship to Vin and heat/cooling with regard to peltiers and each pelt (not individually but rather within their types-elements-etc) has a different hot/cold curve.(check their respective spec charts)
That said, it is generally accepted and through my experiences reasonably accurate to suggest that if you operate a pelt at 75% of its Vmax you will be rewarded with best cooling to heating relationship. More V will give better cooling but at the expense of much, much higher hot side temps.
So...you would do better to use 1 x 226 (24V max) watt pelts at 17~18V than you would to use a 172 (17V max) watt pelt at its Vmax of 17V. The cooling of either one would be very similar but the heat produced my the 172 watt pelt would be much higher than the heat from the throttled-down 226.
wj

uclajd
08-20-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by wymjym So...you would do better to use 1 x 226 (24V max) watt pelts at 17~18V than you would to use a 172 (17V max) watt pelt at its Vmax of 17V. The cooling of either one would be very similar but the heat produced my the 172 watt pelt would be much higher than the heat from the throttled-down 226.
wj So 226W pelts are 24V max? Everyone seems to be using those 12V Meanwells with them.

So, according to your 17-18V recommendation, one would want to get the higher voltage Meanwell PSU, like the S-320-15, which adjusts up to 18V?

http://www.bruinhoopreport.com/meanwell.gif

For example, Swiftech sells the 12V version (http://www.swiftnets.com/store/product_details.asp?ProdID=100) on their site.

What gives? :confused:

Will the higher voltage yield better cooling results (yes, assuming one has sufficient heat removal on the hot side)? I'd happily get the higher-rated PSU if I thought results would be markedly different.

wymjym
08-21-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by uclajd
So 226W pelts are 24V max? Everyone seems to be using those 12V Meanwells with them.

So, according to your 17-18V recommendation, one would want to get the higher voltage Meanwell PSU, like the S-320-15, which adjusts up to 18V?

Will the higher voltage yield better cooling results (yes, assuming one has sufficient heat removal on the hot side)? I'd happily get the higher-rated PSU if I thought results would be markedly different.

no all 226 pelts are not 24V max, depends on the manufacturer and the product, you must look at their respective specification sheet
more volts only helps if the psu can supply adequate power (amps)...you must match the pelt requirements to the psu's capabilities
if you can run the pelt at maxV and can cool the hot side adequately then yes it will cool better...but the struggle to remove that extra heat is rarely worth the effort necessary as there are other ways (multiple pelts @ 3/4 voltage is one way)
wj

cowpuppy
08-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Sorry I havnt been getting e-mail notifications from xtreme lately. My 226 is indeed a 15v pelt and the 2-172w pelts are 24v. I spent a lot of money on pelts and psu's and I'm not using any of them right now. I purshased a FX 5900 ultra that my swiftech block wont bolt up to and cooling the cpu or the N.Bridge w/pelts just ads to much heat to the chiller wich works just as well as the pelts.

SpicyHuevos
09-03-2003, 12:53 PM
I will take those 172s off your hands if you want:)

]JR[
09-03-2003, 01:20 PM
I know where to get some cheap dj. Infact i know 2 places. I just sold my last 2 today unfortunately.

]JR[

cowpuppy
09-04-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by SpicyHuevos
I will take those 172s off your hands if you want:)

I'm gona hold onto what I got here.
Right now I've went back to air cooling cause my system is just plain suking (_}_) I think all the moisture got to it from the humidity. All my cpu's run like crap anymore. I think my board is almost giving up. I see a change coming to Intel my way I think. With all the equipment I've acumilated I should have a top performer of the Intel's but I may wait for the prescots and winter.