PDA

View Full Version : AMD Instability? Help!

TurboPenguin
07-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Ok, a buddy of mine said the following:
"i'm not going to argue with you, many people I know have come to the conclusion that AMD systems are not as stable as Intel systems. It is a PROVEN FACT that the VIA chipset has NONFIXABLE problems that cause system instabilites. It is true that not EVERYONE has problems with their AMD systems.. but many do"

Ok, what problems? My AMD rig kicks butt! is he smokin somthing? And then he blames everything on VIA!!! Someone help me out here?

OPPAINTER
07-08-2002, 11:17 AM
I don't get it, he says it kicks butt. What's the problem??

OPP

TurboPenguin
07-08-2002, 11:50 AM
He is having problems, and basically blames lock-ups and freezes on the AMD/VIA combination sayin that AMD systems are instable. Like the PCI Latency patch and the few others. So he says that an AMD system is less stable than an Intel!?!

OPPAINTER
07-08-2002, 11:57 AM
He just needs to install everything correctlly is all. Make sure his chip is cool and all that. What Mobo does he have?

OPP

DSMF
07-08-2002, 11:58 AM
I doubt it's the AMD/VIA combo that's the problem; more like a PIBKAC error to me......... ;)

stoopid
07-08-2002, 11:59 AM
It's like the cola wars, some like it some don't, but there's not a lot of difference IMHO.

Doesn't he realize there are numerous Intel VIA chipsets??

Maybe he'd be better off with a Cyrix proc... Whoops! VIA OWNS them ;)

:rolleyes:

JBELL
07-08-2002, 12:14 PM
I personally dislike VIA chipsets and found better luck with nForce chips... but amd is by far VERY STABLE!

DSMF
07-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Careful assembly and attention to detail will have you a nice, stable AMD/VIA combo and, yes, the AMD chip itself is very stable....

jmke
07-17-2002, 03:28 AM
Out of the box, no tweaks, the AMD systems have been known to cause alot of probs
with the rights tweaks & drivers most of these problems can be fixed

new amd systems (kt266a/kt333) are ALOT better in all compartments, and they offer great stability out of the box

Intel has reached this stage some time ago way before AMD (VIA etc) so they are comparing older systems to come up with the "unstable AMD systems" conclusion

at the beginning of the Athlon period AMD had stablity issues due to heat, and even now, without proper cooling the XP/Tbred will crash due to overheating. Since "n00bs" dont know a thing about the extra cooling needed, they blame the problem on AMD.

Once you get some decent cooling installed on an AMD system your worries are over.

Intel didn't have to cope with this problem (at least not to that extend) so it was considered better for that sole reason.

That's why it was/is popular with the "main volk"

What I've come to see now is the exact opposite as before. People who read alot on the net , but don't fully understand everything now opt for an Athlon XP system when buying a new PC. When it is clear that the P4 offers (for now) a better price/performance ratio then AMD (calculating that the P4 will be overclocked a minimum of 50%).

Anyway just my thoughts on the whole subject,
please excuse me for the bad spelling and 1001 faults (I could write it in perfect dutch, but then the chances of someone understanding that will diminish quite greatly)

LBJGH
07-17-2002, 04:41 AM
That is like saying the Ford Explorer is not as stable as a Chevy because the Fords used Firestone tires.

Originally posted by TurboPenguin
...AMD systems are not as stable as Intel systems. It is a PROVEN FACT that the VIA chipset has NONFIXABLE problems...

ThePunkerGuy
07-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Here is my take on it. Intel systems are easier to build because they have less compatability issues and chipset problems.. which makes them more stable when first setup.. but if ya get the right pieces and know what your doing you can easily get rid of any problems in an AMD system and make them as stable or more stable than an intel system.
- Mike

scrllock
07-26-2002, 06:23 AM
Agreed. AMD is awesome in the hands of an enthusiast, but even with intel, if you dont know what you are doing, youll have issues.