PDA

View Full Version : Unstable System... PSU?

Knight
09-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Hello, :)

I have been battling a very weird problem over the time I have been setting up my new PC.

(The parts are in my signature)
Q6600
Abit IP35 Pro
2GB RAM
8800GTS 320MB
2 Hard Drives (Raid 0)
LG DVD Drive
4 Fans
Corsair 520W PSU

The build went perfect. To ensure that the parts are fine, I ran some stress tests. I used Prime95, and Memtest. Gaming is fine on this PC.

The problem is that the first few moments (maybe 15-25secs) of Prime95 my PC will lockup. I can only press my restart key to exit out of the lockup. On boot up Windows says that a problem has occurred.:rolleyes: :p:

So I say it must me a bad dimm or memory because I am running all stock as of now. (I went back to default) I have also increased the Vdimm to ensure that it has enough juice.

I pop in the bootable Memtest and let that run all the way. It returns with no errors; however if I run two instances (to use up 100% of my RAM) of Memtest in Windows my PC will lockup again.

I don't think this is a driver problem because I have used both XP Pro and Vista, with a combination of different drivers.

I have turned to my PSU because I think I made a bad judgment on the power draw of this PC. :( I just can't find out what this PSU can power on the Corsair site.

Sparky
09-11-2007, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't think that would pull more than 40A but I guess I could be wrong. Have you tried a higher powered PSU to be certain?

You could return the 520 and get the 620. That would definitely have enough power. If it still acted up well you'd have a more powerful PSU to last you longer at least and also would have further narrowed it down.

Knight
09-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't think that would pull more than 40A but I guess I could be wrong. Have you tried a higher powered PSU to be certain?

You could return the 520 and get the 620. That would definitely have enough power. If it still acted up well you'd have a more powerful PSU to last you longer at least and also would have further narrowed it down.

The sad thing is that this PC is replacing a 4 year old brick. :p: I don't have any compatible parts to test my parts out. :(

I just wish there was a straight forward answer so that I could be on my way. :D

Sparky
09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Where are you located? If you were near Akron OH I'd tell you to swing by and pop my PSU in your system to see if that fixed anything.

Knight
09-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Where are you located? If you were near Akron OH I'd tell you to swing by and pop my PSU in your system to see if that fixed anything.

LOL I'm just like 1,700miles away. I should start walking. :p:

Thats for the nice offer anyway. :(

I just saw the Antec 850W unit for $160 with free shipping, but my parents would go crazy. :eek: Even if I used my own money. :yepp:

Sparky
09-11-2007, 05:06 PM
LOL I'm just like 1,700miles away. I should start walking. :p:

Thats for the nice offer anyway. :(

I just saw the Antec 850W unit for $160 with free shipping, but my parents would go crazy. :eek: Even if I used my own money. :yepp:

Hey if you return the Corsair 520 then it is only what $40 more than that? ;)

Again assuming that the PSU is the problem, not something else.

Know anyone with a high wattage PSU you could maybe try and borrow?

Knight
09-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey if you return the Corsair 520 then it is only what $40 more than that? ;)

Again assuming that the PSU is the problem, not something else.

Know anyone with a high wattage PSU you could maybe try and borrow?

No one near me has a clue about PC's. :shakes: (not even myself:ROTF: )

I could go to a local tech shop (not like BestBuy) and ask them if I could try one of their higher model PSU's. :shrug:

NickS
09-11-2007, 05:13 PM
PSU should be sufficient (very) for that rig :)

Knight
09-11-2007, 06:09 PM
PSU should be sufficient (very) for that rig :)

Even with only 2 threads of Prime95 (~55% CPU usage) it still locks up. :(

Are these lock ups being written to a Windows dump file? I want to know the source of the problem.

Sparky
09-11-2007, 06:30 PM
They only get written there if the system has a BSOD. If it just hardlocks before it gives a BSOD then it won't write anything.

Quick Q, has it done this since you built the system or only started recently?

Knight
09-11-2007, 06:37 PM
They only get written there if the system has a BSOD. If it just hardlocks before it gives a BSOD then it won't write anything.

Quick Q, has it done this since you built the system or only started recently?

Since the day I built the system.

Ok I ran the dumpms program to view the system dump file, but Vista will not let me view it because "I do not have permission." :rofl:

I am under Admin right now, and I have tried the cmd prompt to unlock the file, but no go. :( I am trying to view the right file. :D

Knight
09-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Ok well Prime95 Small FFT's is fine, but the Blend test is where the lock ups start to happen. :(

Time to test my memory again?

Sparky
09-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Could it be vista not liking something about prime95 coding?

Knight
09-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Could it be vista not liking something about prime95 coding?

Well I was able to get a BSOD. (LOL yeah lucky :p:)... and it said something is reference to "nvlddmkm.sys"

I am downloading the latest BETA driver to see what happens.

I also don't get the Nvidia logo in my taskbar.

Yellowbeard
09-12-2007, 05:53 AM
Based on your error, it looks like it might be a Vista vs Nvidia issue.

Sparky
09-12-2007, 06:03 AM

That's what I'm thinking now. I can't imagine that the 520W wouldn't be enough.

Knight
09-12-2007, 06:49 AM

Yeah this PSU is a beast. :yepp: Why did I question its potential? :(

That's what I'm thinking now. I can't imagine that the 520W wouldn't be enough.

LOL I can't install the 163.67 driver because it says that I don't have Vista 32 bit. LOL :rofl:

Sparky
09-12-2007, 08:55 AM
What vista do you have, 64 bit? If so that might be a problem, not sure if prime works right under vista 64.

Knight
09-12-2007, 11:21 AM
What vista do you have, 64 bit? If so that might be a problem, not sure if prime works right under vista 64.

I am using Vista Ult. 32bit. :) I used Driver Pro to remove the Nvidia driver. I also installed the latest beta. I mentioned the absence of the tray icon because a bad display driver install was usually indicated by no icon. (that was for my old ATI unit... no icon == reinstall driver) :p:

Sorry, I'm new to Vista and Nvidia.:(