PDA

View Full Version : SLK900 w/ 92MM fan heat issues

edesignuk
07-10-2003, 12:06 PM
I just fitted my new SLK900 w/ 92mm fan, and the temps are exactly the same as with the stock intel, what gives? My CPU temp is (according to WinBond hardware doctor) 53c @ idle, that isn't right is it?
I have AS3, and I spread a thin even layer as instructed.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Ruantic
07-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
I just fitted my new SLK900 w/ 92mm fan, and the temps are exactly the same as with the stock intel, what gives? My CPU temp is (according to WinBond hardware doctor) 53c @ idle, that isn't right is it?
I have AS3, and I spread a thin even layer as instructed.

Any ideas? Thanks!

hehe, obviously something is amiss.... TIM Application, not seated correctly, fan sucking instead of blowing, very high case temps, or finally totally wacked temp readings.

Pull it off, check the footprint on the TIM, make sure it had good contact, check your fan, reapply the TIM...

All I can say is my 900U/92 tornado on rheo will keep a 3 ghz p4 low-mid 30 ish idle and about 40 fully loaded, on an IS7...

edesignuk
07-10-2003, 12:47 PM
I thought that might be the case, I'm fresh out of AS3 though :( Dammit, nothing's ever simple!
When you apply your AS3 (or whatever u use), how much do u apply? I put on a thin layer right to the edges of the chip, it looked perfect, I can't believe the piss poor performence I am getting :(

q149
07-10-2003, 01:53 PM
I stick my finger in a thin plastic bag and apply a perfect thin layer across the whole surface area. I have also had this happen before... the HSF seemingly was on perfect but i knew the temps were way too high, i just reseated it again and everything was all good:banana:

Ruantic
07-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by q149
I stick my finger in a thin plastic bag and apply a perfect thin layer across the whole surface area. I have also had this happen before... the HSF seemingly was on perfect but i knew the temps were way too high, i just reseated it again and everything was all good:banana:

Same here, and its amazing how little AS3 you really need...

edesignuk
07-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Ok fellas thanks, I'll give it a go when I get home from work, fingers crossed ;)

X-WoLv-X
07-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Sorry guys,

But im getting an extreme air cooling devise for my pentium, but WHAT is TIM or AS3 ???

Any kind of Thermal Grease ???

Shoud I buy it separetely ?

Thanks

WoLv

eva2000
07-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by q149
I stick my finger in a thin plastic bag and apply a perfect thin layer across the whole surface area. I have also had this happen before... the HSF seemingly was on perfect but i knew the temps were way too high, i just reseated it again and everything was all good:banana: same method of application for me finger in a plastic bag :)

i've used AS3 for over 2yrs now but just tried some Nanotherm PCM+/EXP stuffs pretty good apparently once it's gone through 3-4 days cure time - 4-7C lower than AS3

Ruantic
07-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by X-WoLv-X
Sorry guys,

But im getting an extreme air cooling devise for my pentium, but WHAT is TIM or AS3 ???

Any kind of Thermal Grease ???

Shoud I buy it separetely ?

Thanks

WoLv

TIM= Thermal Interface Material, Generic term for thermal paste/pad

AS3= Arctic Silver 3 one of the top TIMs...

X-WoLv-X
07-12-2003, 02:10 PM
I am right now, ordering an SLK900U with a 92 MM Tornado Fan.

Do u think that I should order any type of this Artic Silver stuff?

Which one?

thanks for your help

WoLv

Ruantic
07-12-2003, 02:34 PM
I am right now, ordering an SLK900U with a 92 MM Tornado Fan.

Do u think that I should order any type of this Artic Silver stuff?

Which one?

thanks for your help

WoLv

Yes get some, I'm not sure what whoever your ordering from has, so I'll just call it safe, and say get Arctic Silver 3. Another thing you may want to consider is some kind of fan speed controller, at full tilt the tornado is quite loud, if you get some kind of Rheobus/fan speed controller you'll have the option to turn it down when you don't need max performance. If you do get a controller make sure you get one strong enough to handle the tornado, (reseller should be of help here)...

good luck

X-WoLv-X
07-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Ok.

for the Artic Silver, I`m getting this one:

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/arsiliii30gs.html

And for the Fan Controller, I had already choosed this Thermaltake Unit, so I can Oper it, without opening the case.. plus Temperature monitors:

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/thha10teallc.html

Thanks !

Ruantic
07-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Looks like you have it covered pretty well :)

X-WoLv-X
07-12-2003, 04:06 PM
Thank you very much for your support, Ruantic.

Next week, when I got the stuff.. I`ll post the results !

hehehehe

Cheers

WoLv

Ruantic
07-12-2003, 04:37 PM
Look forward to seeing your results, glad I could help!

Metro
07-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Personaly a have used artic silver ceramique. It is very good too.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_compound.htm

X-WoLv-X
07-15-2003, 02:09 PM
I have already ordered the Artic Silver III.

Next Week, I'll post the results !

A Question, this Artic Silver conpound, works like a glue too ?

Cheers

WoLv

Ruantic
07-15-2003, 02:14 PM
I have already ordered the Artic Silver III.

Next Week, I'll post the results !

A Question, this Artic Silver conpound, works like a glue too ?

Cheers

WoLv

No, not the stuff in the link you provided. You can get AS Epoxy, and AS Alumina epoxy, both of those could be considered Glue...

notoriousformula
07-18-2003, 10:46 PM
hey guys AS3 works great ;) ..so does the new Ceramique.

BTW...hi Ruantic :D

notor

Super Crazy
07-24-2003, 10:19 PM
from recent reviews... Ceramique looks the good for now...

it retails here at almost half the price of AS3...

Major
07-24-2003, 10:29 PM
welcome to the Xtreme Super Crazy !!!! Glad to see you here !;)

I've become a convert from AS3 to Cerimique myself !! especially with sub zero temps ! It offers better temps than AS3 and cleans up nice !