PDA

View Full Version : Hypertransport problems when overclocking.

jomuj
09-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Hullo everyone.

I recently ran into a problem while fiddling with my overclocking settings. I cannot run Hypertransport at 1000mhz when I have my CPU overclocked. Whenever I launch a game it will crash. I think it is caused by the HT being to fast, because CPU-Z reports HT at about 1107mhz. Everything works fine when I reduce HT to 800mhz in the BIOS, resulting in about 900mhz when I use CPU-Z.

My question is. Is there any way to lock the HT at 1000mhz, or a way to get it to run at a higher speed?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

nn_step
09-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Unless you are running a 4+P system, you need not concern yourself with performance of the Hypertransport subsystem.

jomuj
09-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Oh? If I might ask, what is the purpose of the HT link? I have always been under the impression that is a link with the GPU? Does it offer any real world improvements in performance?

GMX
09-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Oh? If I might ask, what is the purpose of the HT link? I have always been under the impression that is a link with the GPU? Does it offer any real world improvements in performance?

no.

For your cpu at 1x HT you still wouldn't see anything.

nn_step
09-08-2007, 09:32 PM

Yes it is linked to GPU performance but rather loosely. If you drop your HTT multi to 3, you will see no performance loss. Which should give you plenty of overclocking room (enough for a 2Ghz proc to hit 3.33Ghz before hitting full HTT speed again)

jomuj
09-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Ok, thanks for the info. I presume when you say to drop the HTT Multi, you mean to reduce it's speed? On my mobo, it offers htt options in increments of 200mhz.

So reducing the HTT might help to push the processor a bit further?

nn_step
09-08-2007, 10:48 PM
yes reducing the HTT WILL assist in giving more overclocking room for the Proc

jomuj
09-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Ok, I will give it a go ;) thank you very much for your help! =D