PDA

View Full Version : MCW60 screw stripped...HELP

TheReds
09-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey guys, my pump died a while back and took my cpu with it, and finally saved up enough for a new processor, my QX6600 G0 :D. So I've been taking my watercooling loop apart to clean out and kinda start over. The stupid screws on the MCW60 that bolt it to the card (not the ones that hold the block together) are so soft! I barely was able to unscrew 3 of the screws and annoyingly the 4th stripped completely..........:mad:......a once philips head screw now has a round divot on top...

So any people know any good tricks for this?

PS, yes this was a noob and somewhat funny thing to happen, i realize this

Bail_w
09-07-2007, 06:53 PM
lol, my MCW60 was in the similar situation. I took my MCW60 apart for cleaning and try to put it back together but one of the dam screw just wont go all the way, and i force it then it broke in half then i sent it in for RMA.

Movieman
09-07-2007, 06:53 PM
yup, google EZ Out..or a tiny sloted screwdriver jammed in and then turned with vise grips..Ghetto but works:up:

Sparky
09-07-2007, 06:55 PM
How tight did you have those screws? You could probably grab it with a good pair of needlenose pliers to turn it.

One of my MCW60 screws is bent a little. Don't know how it happened, I was cleaning out my loop and noticed it when I took it off the card :shrug:

leo_bsb
09-07-2007, 07:59 PM
cut a slot with a dremel cut wheel

G4h4o8s6T
09-08-2007, 05:03 AM
I have a very similar situation with my MCW60 w/G80 adapter plate, so your not the only noob out there to do this. I used a pair of pliers to tighten the thumbscrews(when I shouldnt of), stripped the screws and now the damn block is stuck on the card!

Im gonna have to either use a hack saw to cut this thing off, or a dremel like leo suggested.

Patriote
09-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Hell i have stripped all the little screws i have had for all water-block i have owned. From my Storm to both of my current MCW60 and just recently, my EK-8800GTX... Man what a pain. I ditched the Storm and am ready to ditch the Ek or try to find some replacement screws for it. Last time i tried to replace the screws that would hold a block, it was for my Storm and it didn't worked at all. Instead, i had got the screw hole in the copper base bigger and it had screwed all possible leak-free testing... If you know what i mean.

Man i can't under why the heck ppls keeps creating block with tiny little screws. The worse are the ones that aren't star* kind. Like the ones of the Ek-8800GTX ...

Sparky
09-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Hell i have stripped all the little screws i have had for all water-block i have owned. From my Storm to both of my current MCW60 and just recently, my EK-8800GTX... Man what a pain. I ditched the Storm and am ready to ditch the Ek or try to find some replacement screws for it. Last time i tried to replace the screws that would hold a block, it was for my Storm and it didn't worked at all. Instead, i had got the screw hole in the copper base bigger and it had screwed all possible leak-free testing... If you know what i mean.

Man i can't under why the heck ppls keeps creating block with tiny little screws. The worse are the ones that aren't star* kind. Like the ones of the Ek-8800GTX ...

You must be cranking things down too tight.

Patriote
09-08-2007, 06:36 AM
You must be cranking things down too tight.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe i am just patience less, have always be and will always be. Or maybe i am just no delicate! all tho i don't have fat fingers or anything, i just never been really delicate with my stuff. I try to be and it's always worse since i loose all my patience lol Don't give me a CPU to lap as i will kill it 100% sure.

Jimmer411
09-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Same thing happend to me. I took a dremel and cut a slot in it so that I could fit a flathead in it... damn soft screws

Movieman
09-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Good page to read..and get the EZ out's..:D
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may2003/techtotech.htm

TheReds
09-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Wow, good, so there are others who share this annoyance haha. Some good ideas, i think i might try the dremel slot technique bc i dont have to buy anything lol.

Although to prevent any little metal filaments from getting all over the card, i was thinking just holding a shop vac right by the dremel while cutting, u guys agree?

thanks again