PDA

View Full Version : WaterKegIII Xtreme Case Has Arrived!

blancmax
09-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks to newls1 :up: for providing me with an unfinished case so that I can design my own water cooling setup. I just finished building my new computer and I wanted to move beyond the limits of air cooling. My new build consists of:

Coolermaster Stacker 832
Asus P5K3 Deluxe
2 GBs of Corsair DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3
WD Raptor X 150 GB
Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W power supply
Sony 18x DVD Burner with LightScribe
Vista Ultimate 32-bit

The only modification so far was to expand the holes for the case cover to incorporate the 3/8" socket head screws from Lowes. The rest of my water cooling setup includes:

Pump: Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Top Combo
CPU Waterblock: Swiftech Apogee™ GTX CPU Waterblock (w/ copper top :D )
GPU Waterblock: EK-FC8800GTS Full Cover Waterblock
Tubing: 10 Feet of 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Tygon R-3603 Laboratory-Grade
Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Hi-Flo Reservoir
Fittings: various fittings suggested by Grinch, as well as, a Danger Den Brass fill port for drainage
Misc: Petra'sTech "Gel-Stuff", UV Reactive Pentosin G11 Coolant Additive (Blue), Petra'sTech "PT_Nuke" Concentrated Biocide, AC Ryan twin 4 inch lights

I'll be sure and take plenty of pics along the way. I'm painting the case tomorrow, and hopefully I'll begin fitting everything inside the case this weekend. Not sure if I want plexiglass on the window openings or just some type of grating. I do have one stupid question. I'm concerned about running out of my 7/16" tubing, even though I should have enough. I have some 1/2" tubing that I could use inside the case. Would that be a problem using different size tubing just inside the case?

rogueagent6
09-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Nice! love pictures of new goodies... But you need to hurry up and post more! :p:

SpinCykle
09-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Where did you buy the Thermochill Radiator from? I've been looking for one and cant seem to find it, everywhere is sold out.

leo_bsb
09-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Where did you buy the Thermochill Radiator from? I've been looking for one and cant seem to find it, everywhere is sold out.

I am at the same quest :yepp:

arfett
09-06-2007, 10:23 PM
I am at the same quest :yepp:

You will fail miserably as I bought the last PA 120.3 in North America!

michaLcoughliN
09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
might as well pick up mcr320 . possible a secondary one as well lol

gatti-man
09-06-2007, 10:43 PM
i emailed this guy about something like this and he said he was months away from building it so i built my own. Low and behold a month later and hes selling them!!!! Argghh.

newls1
09-07-2007, 03:04 AM
i emailed this guy about something like this and he said he was months away from building it so i built my own. Low and behold a month later and hes selling them!!!! Argghh.

I dont EVER REMEMBER saying to anyone that I was MONTHS AWAY:confused: I wont ever turn down a customer:up: Do you mind PMing me the email where I said that?

RockfordFosgate
09-07-2007, 03:25 AM
APogee GTX Copper top is really nice ;)

Think
09-07-2007, 03:28 AM
APogee GTX Copper top is really nice ;)

Where can you get that top from other than swiftech since they charge way to much for it.

blancmax
09-07-2007, 03:38 AM

I got it from Mountain Mods about 2 weeks ago. I just checked their site and it looks like they might still have them.

Baleful
09-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Where can you get that top from other than swiftech since they charge way to much for it.

Petras has it for $39.95. Back when everyone was complaining to Gabe about the aluminum top, he said if they made the copper it would be expensive, yet everyone said "so what, we want it!". So don't start complaining about the price.

chunkylover77
09-07-2007, 11:44 AM
How is it going on the dual pa120.3 case Newls?

newls1
09-07-2007, 02:44 PM

To be honest, havent had any free time to continue with that project:shrug: Soon though, I promise!!!!

TheGoat Eater
09-08-2007, 12:57 AM
looking forward to purchasing a waterkeg (either case or pre-built) if I get the new job I am up for, the look so good!

Think
09-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Baleful;2416981']Petras has it for $39.95. Back when everyone was complaining to Gabe about the aluminum top, he said if they made the copper it would be expensive, yet everyone said "so what, we want it!". So don't start complaining about the price.

I never complained originally so now I am.

HOLY :shocked:

:p:

chunkylover77
09-08-2007, 10:50 AM
To be honest, havent had any free time to continue with that project:shrug: Soon though, I promise!!!!

You better get to work!!!!:cord:

Start
09-08-2007, 12:31 PM

Dual PA120.3? :eek:

What you going to cool? 2 Quad FX and 4 2900xt? :ROTF:

blancmax
09-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Which reservoir looks better the swiftech or the other?

Circaflex
09-08-2007, 04:02 PM
swiftech

XS_RoB
09-08-2007, 06:43 PM
+1 for the Swiftech!

Bail_w
09-08-2007, 06:54 PM
the second reservoir needs to be stand tall not lay down... but i will go with swiftech.

leo_bsb
09-08-2007, 09:34 PM
swiftech for sure

Okda
09-08-2007, 11:07 PM
won't it be better to connect the res to the inlet barb of the pump

Waterlogged
09-08-2007, 11:44 PM

:ROTF:

Absolutely stellar catch:up:

Think
09-09-2007, 04:34 AM

Yeah, no kidding!:ROTF:

blancmax
09-09-2007, 06:24 AM

Thanks for pointing that out. I flipped the pump around and the outlet now faces out through the hole cut in the case.

Jimmer411
09-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Why the unneeded T before the pump? 2 inches of tubing would do the same thing and not kill flow as much.

blancmax
09-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Why the unneeded T before the pump? 2 inches of tubing would do the same thing and not kill flow as much.

It's actually an elbow, the pic just makes it look like a T. The tube behind it comes from the res and goes to the radiator.

Rob_B
09-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Wouldn't it be better to place the pump on its side. (I believe that would be a problem for the pump.)
Then you can get the outlet of the res straight to the inlet of the pump.
And the outlet of the pump almost straight into the rad.

newls1
09-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I've built 1 "KEG" for a customer who "HAD TO HAVE" a DDC w/Petra's top pump. I had to mount the pump on its side, and used H.D velcro to secure that sucker down. I don't like to use this series pump in my builds for 2 main reasons: (1) the heat this pump puts out is *MUCH* more then the conventional D5 series pumps, and (2) I don't like the way I have to mount this pump, just seems a little un-secured for my liking. If I was to do another DDC pump in my case, I would buy this adapter (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=344&products_id=20603) This way you wont have to use an ugly 90 degree plastic elbow, and using this fitting will allow you to mount the pump on its bottom, with minimal flow turbulance, and will also look more appealing. Hope this helps someone......

sladesurfer
09-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I've built 1 "KEG" for a customer who "HAD TO HAVE" a DDC w/Petra's top pump. I had to mount the pump on its side, and used H.D velcro to secure that sucker down. I don't like to use this series pump in my builds for 2 main reasons: (1) the heat this pump puts out is *MUCH* more then the conventional D5 series pumps, and (2) I don't like the way I have to mount this pump, just seems a little un-secured for my liking. If I was to do another DDC pump in my case, I would buy this adapter (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=344&products_id=20603) This way you wont have to use an ugly 90 degree plastic elbow, and using this fitting will allow you to mount the pump on its bottom, with minimal flow turbulance, and will also look more appealing. Hope this helps someone......

Can you install a fan controller to the "KeG" case? I want to order one but is it possible for you to modify it and put a Fan controller?

newls1
09-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Can you install a fan controller to the "KeG" case? I want to order one but is it possible for you to modify it and put a Fan controller?

Well, anything is always possible:) I am looking into this right now as I type. I like the little bug in your sig, I actually thought I had a little "FLEA" like bug on my screen for a second LOL!

newls1
09-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for pointing that out. I flipped the pump around and the outlet now faces out through the hole cut in the case.

If read my above post, use that fitting I mentioned for the top of the pump. It is going to be a little more difficult to fill the system up, now since the water will have to go "UP" to get into the pump. IF you use the 90 degree g1/4 thread fitting, i will then allow you to have a gradual downward flow right into the pump (let gravity do its thing!) This will also LOWER your "T" fitting area where the drain is, and will look much better IMHO. Also, did you "HOG" out the case screw holes on the front? I see 1 where it is so big, that it broke thru the metal??.....

Also, what are you planning to do with the wiring for the back? Some people thing these are easy to build, but there not. Really takes some time to get the wiring neat and organized, PLUS, all the internal wiring is 100% made by me, I cut the wiring off the pump and make my own harness for that, plus all the other items. Lots of time is in the wiring its self, then paint, then making my case compatible with the internals. When I get a case from my machine shop, it is RUFF to say the least LOL!! Here is a pic for you to see the back side of a keg, if it helps you out any, and an internal wiring shot.

http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/25646/2004428075526998136_rs.jpg

http://aycu11.webshots.com/image/27690/2004418772549929005_rs.jpg

sladesurfer
09-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Well, anything is always possible:) I am looking into this right now as I type. I like the little bug in your sig, I actually thought I had a little "FLEA" like bug on my screen for a second LOL!

Cool, thats the only thing thats holding me back from ordering ur full set up :( I want to control the fans when im just surfing the net. I like to keep it quiet. Let me know once you figure it out and i will buy one right away :)

blancmax
09-09-2007, 12:11 PM
If read my above post, use that fitting I mentioned for the top of the pump. It is going to be a little more difficult to fill the system up, now since the water will have to go "UP" to get into the pump. IF you use the 90 degree g1/4 thread fitting, i will then allow you to have a gradual downward flow right into the pump (let gravity do its thing!)

Thanks, for finding that. Also, I have some heavy duty velcro. I'll try the right angle first.

This will also LOWER your "T" fitting area where the drain is, and will look much better IMHO.

When I order the right angle, I'm going to order the some EK High Flow "Stubby" Fittings (G 1/4 Thread - 1/2" Barb), because the 2 fittings I have almost touch.

Also, did you "HOG" out the case screw holes on the front? I see 1 where it is so big, that it broke thru the metal??.....

Yes :doh: , I'm going to attach some bolts to the inside of the case so that I can use the hex bolts as thumb screws. Although it would have been nice not to have done it to begin with.

Also, what are you planning to do with the wiring for the back? Some people thing these are easy to build, but there not. Really takes some time to get the wiring neat and organized, PLUS, all the internal wiring is 100% made by me, I cut the wiring off the pump and make my own harness for that, plus all the other items. Lots of time is in the wiring its self, then paint, then making my case compatible with the internals. When I get a case from my machine shop, it is RUFF to say the least LOL!!

I plan on running most of the wiring under the radiator. The fans in the picture are not the fans I'm using. I have 3 Yate Loon fans from Performance PC with black mesh sleeving, as well as, some additional custom cables with the same sleeving and heatshrink so that I can hide them along the wall. For the wires for the 4" lights and the pump, I bought some black mesh sleeving that I plan to cover the wires with and then cut to length. I haven't quite figured out how I want to send the cables through the case, but that's part of the fun. You've done a great job designing the case, I can tell alot of thought went into the layout. Right now I'm just dry fitting everything in the case, but I'll post some pics of the finished results. Thanks!

Start
09-09-2007, 02:39 PM
For those in the States looking for a PA120.3, MicroCenter (http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0263310) has it, but rather costly.

newls1
09-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks, for finding that. Also, I have some heavy duty velcro. I'll try the right angle first.

When I order the right angle, I'm going to order the some EK High Flow "Stubby" Fittings (G 1/4 Thread - 1/2" Barb), because the 2 fittings I have almost touch.

Yes :doh: , I'm going to attach some bolts to the inside of the case so that I can use the hex bolts as thumb screws. Although it would have been nice not to have done it to begin with.

I plan on running most of the wiring under the radiator. The fans in the picture are not the fans I'm using. I have 3 Yate Loon fans from Performance PC with black mesh sleeving, as well as, some additional custom cables with the same sleeving and heatshrink so that I can hide them along the wall. For the wires for the 4" lights and the pump, I bought some black mesh sleeving that I plan to cover the wires with and then cut to length. I haven't quite figured out how I want to send the cables through the case, but that's part of the fun. You've done a great job designing the case, I can tell alot of thought went into the layout. Right now I'm just dry fitting everything in the case, but I'll post some pics of the finished results. Thanks!

Cool, damn fine work brotha:clap: I'm always here for assistance:)

NaeKuh
09-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Baleful;2416981']Petras has it for $39.95. Back when everyone was complaining to Gabe about the aluminum top, he said if they made the copper it would be expensive, yet everyone said "so what, we want it!". So don't start complaining about the price.

+1

Dude i am never asking gabe for anything anymore.

Now i totally understand his possition on stuff like this. We asked for it, He told us it would be expensive, and you guys complain.

This is why Gabe holds firm on some opinions. Watch the copper GTX revision come out costing near 80 dollars. And i bet you people will have a cow going that block costs too much.

*sigh*

Gabe if you read this, i am sorry for pressuring you on the copper top. I bought 2 and i love them. But seems like some people cant make up there minds, or have very short term memory.

Waterlogged
09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
...or selective memory.

Think
09-10-2007, 06:51 AM
For those in the States looking for a PA120.3, MicroCenter (http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0263310) has it, but rather costly.

There nuts:eek:

The_Beast
09-10-2007, 02:10 PM
looking good :up:

2k7zero
09-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Edit from Vapor....please do not discuss pricing or custom sales outside of the Classifieds section or PMs.