PDA

View Full Version : MSI k9n- g.skill ram 5.5.5.15 4gb 800mhz- what speed can i get this to?

vyaw2003
09-04-2007, 10:15 PM
I have a MSI k9n with g.skill ram 5.5.5.15 4gb 800mhz
- what speed can i get this to?
- Which settings do i change in order to achieve this?

all i can change are the following
CPU FSB Freq
CPU Dynamic OverClocking
DDR voltage- in the bios i cant seem to modify it for some reason, in corecentre i can change this? not sure why it works in one and not the other.

The only changes i have made from stock are the following; MACHINE IS STILL STABLE
FSB- is at 210mhz
Dynamic OverClocking- Segrant 3%
DDR Voltage 1.9v

when starting in bios it still says 800 speed ram.>>>>
Can some one help with CPU-z
In CPU-z it says
freq. 386.3mhz
FSB : DRAM CPU/8
CAS 5
RAS 2 CAS 5
RAS 5
CYCLE 15
BANK 24
COMMAND RATE 2T

Which do i have to change to get the ram to 1000mhz?

gOtVoltage
09-06-2007, 01:18 AM
What CPU What Bios version and What Voltage does Gskill recomend for running thier memory in performance mode....Get that info for me and ill be happy to help ya tweak it . Ive been running one since it came out and even Know a Nice Bios for it too....Ive done some seriouse tweaking with that board...Even clocked my 5600+ up too 3.3ghz on it no problem...with memory running 1000Mhz...

You need to disable the Dynamic overclocking function because when its enabled it locks things that you need to have unlocked....Just get the info i asked for at top of page and then ill post step by step Bios settings for ya...but i do need to know what your running first ...Ive tweaked that board with Single Core's and X2's ...Its actually pretty decent for buget non SLI...:yepp:

You may need too update your Bios if it is not Version 1.6 to run newer Cpu chips and memory ...

vyaw2003
09-06-2007, 02:23 PM
processor is a AMD 64bit 6000 chip, standard cooling, with extra fans.
I know that the bios did an automatic update i will find out the version tonight, the ram voltage from gskill recommends 1.8-1.9v
cheers.

gOtVoltage
09-06-2007, 08:49 PM
processor is a AMD 64bit 6000 chip, standard cooling, with extra fans.
I know that the bios did an automatic update i will find out the version tonight, the ram voltage from gskill recommends 1.8-1.9v
cheers.

First ,disable any USB ports or sata ports you are not going to use...If you are using Sata drive use the last sata port towards bottom...

Second, set MEMCLOCK MODE to Manual

Third, MCT timing set to Manual

Fourth, Disable Memory Hole

Fifth, Hypertransport Settings

SB to Cpu freq. set manualy
SB to Cpu you will set to 800 for now
SB to Cpu Linkwidth=16 down 16 up

Sixth, In Hardware Monitor Disable all devices that use SPREAD

SPECTRUM,,,CPU,PCI-E,SATA and also Disable Cool'n'Quiet

Seventh, Disable Cpu1Fan Mode this will run Heatsink fan 100%

Warning ,It is very important to DISABLE DYNAMIC OVERCLOCKING...or you wont get a Oc period!Also if you have the Overclocking Software installed ,,,You know that MSI stuff they give ya .You will need to remove it :yepp: You might have to uninstall the Bios updater too. Hmmm if you wind up using the Bios im thinking of the Bios updater wont flash it to your board because its for a different board,It works 100%and will give you( HIGHER Vcore and a PCI lock )you will have to only diable unused options in the newer bios. The Bios will have to be flashed manually ...Its not veryhard to do....

If you are using PCI-E make shure PRIMARY GRAPHICS ADAPTER is set to (PCIE) and that the Latency timer is set to (64)

REBOOT and go into Bios again Check Stock temps on CPU and make shure the memory is set to 667 not 800 and use STOCK TIMING for now .This way you can overclock using the CPU X13xmultiplyer . Make shure you use the 800 or 600HT setting.

By raising the FSB 5-10mhz at a time, it will eventually crash .You will most likely need to raise the Cpu Vcore up alil more till your Stable again . Again you will max the Stock MSI vcore settings.. Once you reach the Max CPUghz with the Max Vcore ill give you the link to down load New Bios for Higher Vcore with the option to lock out the PCI to 67 too.!.The Cool thing is it will be a factory MSI BIOS no Mods needed or have been done to Bios..It will be downloaded from MSI.....

Note:
Make shure the SB to CPU Freqency is set to (800) this =4xHT OR USE (600) =3xHT ......Start off using 4xHT first........

1000=5x, 800=4x, 600=3x ,300= 2x and 200= 1x...For overclocking this board you will be using the 800 setting first then maybe the 600...

Dont worry about the memory speed yet...:up: You need to Clock that chip first :up: ...Youll probally see 3.2 to 3.3ghz on that board ...The last thing you will do is speed the memory back up with tight timing or lower multiplyer:yepp: .....So get cracking and keep me posted .....I would post the other Bios but its too big for attaching so when you are ready ill post a link for ya ..

vyaw2003
09-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Hey Gotvoltage,
Sorry for taking so long to try you sugguestions just go back from assingment.
completed every step up to 7, i can disable dynamic OC. The only options that i can change is the FSB, i dont have the option to change my multiplier.
With your settings, i was able to get SB to Cpu you will set to 800 and 1000 and raise the FSB to 210/211mhz, and everything is running stable. CPU is at 3.17ghz stable.
OK so maybe my board is gay and cant be manually OC'ed, only dynamic.
BUT can i still try "loosen" my ram timings and raise the Voltage or what ever i need to make the ram go faster, or are they all tighed together and i cant do ram oc'ing if i cant do cpu oc'ing?
Does this all come back to the multiplier??

vyaw2003
09-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Also by doing the following it made my ram go from 4 gig to 3.2 gig. Fourth, Disable Memory Hole
Using XP sp2 64 bit edtion.

With Memory hole enabled using 32 bit edition, i also see the exact same amount of 3.2 gig of ram

I am currently running 64 bit with memory hole enabled to get the whole 4 gig of ram.

gOtVoltage
09-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Also by doing the following it made my ram go from 4 gig to 3.2 gig. Fourth, Disable Memory Hole
Using XP sp2 64 bit edtion.

With Memory hole enabled using 32 bit edition, i also see the exact same amount of 3.2 gig of ram

I am currently running 64 bit with memory hole enabled to get the whole 4 gig of ram.

Use memory hole ....I had mine disabled because i had 3gig ,for over 3gig you do need memory hole sry about that ..I went right past my though process:shocked:

For now can you post or pm me the CPU-Z screens of current system set up..So i can see what the memory is rated for and mhz its running at:yepp: ...

post them like this: So i can see all settings Ok...you should be able too get to 240fsb-250fsb easy with that board....just post them and well go from there...:up:

Note:It has too do with the Cpu multi and DDR2 mem speed , i will need screenshots of CPU-z.....

Link to CPU-Z....Download :up: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
you will run Cpu Z FOUR TIMES to get the four separate pages...Just open cpu-z four seperate times..., To take a screenShot ,(press SHIFT and PRINTSCREEN at the same time) ... Then open paint and click edit ,then paste it and save it with a name....

I use Photobucket or something to upload the SS so i can post screens,that is easiest way i know...

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/darrellsierra/Currentsettings.jpg

vyaw2003
09-23-2007, 03:15 AM
man ur CPU is off the hook, how hot is yours? i got stock cooler plus 3 extra fans in a thermaltake

vyaw2003
09-23-2007, 11:51 PM
I see that lcdc put a MSI neo platnium bios on his k9n neo same as mine.
perhaps i should do that first so i can change my multiplyer and it may let me get my ram higher, basically that is i want to do,
(running heaps of vmware servers)

vyaw2003
09-26-2007, 02:33 AM
ok, now i am running Platnium bois 1.8 on my k9n neo with no issues (execpt the cpu fan wouldn't work) got around that now.
I have all my options unlocked and avaliable.
CPU etc.
Manually set my ram to 5-5-5@15 @800mhz this is as high as the options go in the bios. If i change any of the other numbers will i be able to get it going faster? raise the voltage??

gOtVoltage
09-27-2007, 09:44 PM
ok, now i am running Platnium bois 1.8 on my k9n neo with no issues (execpt the cpu fan wouldn't work) got around that now.
I have all my options unlocked and avaliable.
CPU etc.
Manually set my ram to 5-5-5@15 @800mhz this is as high as the options go in the bios. If i change any of the other numbers will i be able to get it going faster? raise the voltage??

In order to get the memory faster you have to slowly raise the FSB

example @ 200FSB = 800mhz ,but @ 210FSB= 840mhz and @ 220FSB = 880mhz... remember when FSB goes UP so Does your CPU Ghz!!!!:yepp:

That is just an example of raising the fsb to memory relationship....Use this chart and slowly pick CPU/Memory/Fsb settings to raise the memory ..This will raise your CPU and you may need to slowly raise the CPU vcore the higher it goes!....

NOTE: Invest in a aftermarket cooler such as a ZALMAN 9700 or the Best A THERMALRIGHT 120Extreme....They will allow you to Overclock up to about 3.4-3.5 with up to 1.55vcore. It will all depend on how good a case you have/airflow/ and your ROOM TEMP/ambiant temp..:up: HTT is the FSB mhz :yepp: this will show you where your memory is running in relation to the CPUdivider/FSB/memory divider setting:yepp:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/darrellsierra/AM2multisCPU.jpg