PDA

View Full Version : cutting a window into a case

Capt_John_Carte
07-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering were I can get a kit to put a window into a case I have I have looked at newegg.com and I didn't like the small window that they had. I want a bigger window than they had is there any places on the web that you know of that has a bigger window in the kit.
Also if you can give me any tips for a beginner case modder
that might be useful.

Thanks Guys

Clear Skies
:help:

badvector
07-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Have you considered not going with a kit and doing it yourself. You can pick up lexan at a hardware store. Take it home, cut it to size/design that you want. For trim, you can pick up several types at automotive stores. Just an idea and it's cheaper. If you want to go with a kit, you could try directron or pcmods as I believe they carry them as well.

Capt_John_Carte
07-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by badvector
Have you considered not going with a kit and doing it yourself. You can pick up lexan at a hardware store. Take it home, cut it to size/design that you want. For trim, you can pick up several types at automotive stores. Just an idea and it's cheaper. If you want to go with a kit, you could try directron or pcmods as I believe they carry them as well.

Welcome to Xtreme Systems :toast:

Sure I won't mind doing it myself but I thought since this was my frist time doing it and not knowing what I was doing I might go with a kit. Do you know of any guides or can you tell me once you have the hole in the case and the window how do you attach the widow to the case. Also is it possible to put a fan into the window without screwing up the window. Thanks for your help.

:toast:

badvector
07-11-2003, 04:15 AM
This is how I did mine the first time. It was over a year ago, so I'll try to remember my exact steps.

I really didnt want the window so big that you could see the drive trays and power supply, so I took a tape measure and measured the distance from the top of the case to the bottom of the rails below the power supply.

I then measured the distance from the front of the case (where the panel ends) to the back of the drive cage.

I then transfered my measurements to a piece of cardboard the exact size of the side panel.

After that I hand drew the outline on the cardboard for my window on the cardboard and cut it out.

I could then hold my cardboard template up to the side of the case (with the panel off) and see exactly how it was going to look.

When I was happy with that, I completely masked the side panel with 2" masking tape and traced the template onto the tape. The masking tape will help to keep the panel from getting all scratched up.

I drilled my starter hole and then cut the panel with a jigsaw with a fine tooth metal blade.

I removed the tape and sanded down the inside edges with my trusty old dremel.

I cut my lexan so as to leave anywhere from a 1/2" to 1" overlap on the edges.

I then temporarily mounted the window to the inside of the panel with masking tape. I measured down and over to get the location that I wanted for my fan hole and marked the center point with a razor knife.

I removed the window and drilled out my fan hole with a hole saw. (Be careful if you use Lexan as it can crack)

I then put a fan in the opening, centered it and marked off the screw hole locations and drilled them out.

I then took a glue gun and ran a generous size bead of glue around the hole in the panel. (You have to do this somewhat quickly as the glue will dry. You can peel the dried glue off if you have to and start again.)

I placed my widow in the panel and stuck some books on the top of the back side of it to keep pressure on the window while the glue set.

Let it sit for about 30 minutes and then I ran my trim around the front.

I got my trim from autozone. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was called, but it's about 1/4" wide and has a sticky back to it. It took a while to work the corners smooth, but I think it looks good.

Here's a pic of my first attempt (Hole wasn't drilled yet)

http://home.comcast.net/~badvector/side_1.jpg

Capt_John_Carte
07-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Wow it looks good there guy I hope when I am done my case looks as good. I hope to have a dremel soon I hear that people can cut the case with dremel's. I should have one soon so I can mod the case.

Clear Skies
:usa:

badvector
07-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks, that was my first mod I had ever done. I've only used the dremel a couple of times to cut panels, but those were tighter lines that we couldn't jigsaw. We cut the specialized (Mountain Bikes if your unfamiliar) logo in my buddy's case strictly with a dremel to get a better jagged edge look. It came out very nice as well.

okra
07-15-2003, 10:56 AM
crazypc.com has some good window kits.

Invest in a jigsaw if you're doing heavy cutting - dremel is mostly meant for the smaller stuff (fan holes, etc). It will take you much longer to do a window w/ a dremel, not to mention all the wheels you'll run through.

BADVECTOR: sweet window - like the chrome trim especially!

Lky4001
07-18-2003, 09:28 PM
what about an angle grinder?
I heard about using 1/8" wire casing for trim, too.