PDA

View Full Version : So I bought my high end memory, whats the best way to run it?

RyderOCZ
08-30-2007, 04:41 PM
We all know there is more than one way to run memory, in fact really you could say there are 3 ways...these being:

1 Low speed tight timings
2 Mid speed mid timings
3 High speed loose timings.

Question is which one is best?

After testing the new DFI LP P35 (http://us.dfi.com.tw/Press/press_header_content_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&TITLE_ID=8512&LINKED_URL=arch460.jsp&SITE=US) we found it offered quite a few options that proved usable for the memory with a given CPU speed.

Most enthusiasts or gamers buying Intel CPU's now are going to buy a quad core CPU, with this in mind a QX6850 was used for this article but owners of the Q6600 should also get some good data from this as the 8 and 9 multipliers are available to them. Of course if you have a dual core its still relevant also as it all depends on what multipliers you have on the CPU.
Please also remember with using a quad core the available FSB range is somewhat limited, while the excellent LP P35 is able to push upwards of 470FSB we used a max of 458 with an 8 multi for round figure of 3.66GHJZ clock speed on the CPU, in fact 3.66GHZ is somewhat of a magic number as staying within 7 MHZ of this we were able to clock the memory 17 different ways, with hopefully results that prove one way or another which is fastest and which way is slowest.

Read the rest of the article here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30816

hecktic
11-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Any chance this test can be conducted again but with current Intel CPUs ? (also maybe you can include the 16gb kits in the new updated test?)

LagunaX
06-30-2009, 12:30 PM
3)

I've run Everest with multiple settings on my rig and the new OCZ LV DDR2 9200's.

But been impressed so far with my set: running 5-5-5-12 PL7 1173 3/4 ratio @1.8v.

Seems the highest ram speed with the lowest timings or performance level you can get is the best.

However, at higher ram speeds a lot of bios' will auto or default at PL 9 - you have to set it yourself.

Big Everest difference between PL 9 and PL 7.

Nanometer
07-20-2009, 02:25 AM
3)

I've run Everest with multiple settings on my rig and the new OCZ LV DDR2 9200's.

But been impressed so far with my set: running 5-5-5-12 PL7 1173 3/4 ratio @1.8v.

Seems the highest ram speed with the lowest timings or performance level you can get is the best.

However, at higher ram speeds a lot of bios' will auto or default at PL 9 - you have to set it yourself.

Big Everest difference between PL 9 and PL 7.

About right with i7 boards too. Looser timings with high frequency ram shows better performance. So loosen the timings find a nice stable frequency and loosen up timings from there. Though the difference from 1600 mhz to 2000 mhz is very small, especially when you have ram that isnt capable of low timings to begin with.. thats ok though. 1900 mhz is still really good with 6 sticks.