PDA

View Full Version : I think I got it FINALLY!!!

[XC] moddolicous
08-26-2007, 09:06 AM
After a quick phone call to optimum online and getting some info about my line into my house, I was finally able to get my IPCOP machine up and running. Now I just have to rewire my whole house before my dad gets home lol. That was the main reason I stopped MJ12 (router kept restarting). I'll start it up and get my output back up. I am SOOO happy.

[XC] moddolicous
08-26-2007, 04:38 PM
It seems to be working very nicely. I'm just a little ahead of movieman right now, but that might shrink. I have to get my ratio back up for some torrents, and after that I will really push my IPCOP machine to its limits.

DAK1640
08-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Nice work !!!

hixie
08-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Some impressive results, and just as i was going to pass you!
I've been having problems with the MJ-12 client as i turned over to the .net 1.1 version, seems to be even worst!

[XC] moddolicous
08-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Mine seems to be working fine. What type of errors Hixie?? Try this installer:
http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/
The 2.0 with security updates installed. Either way, I am glad to have my IPCOP up and running and am currently in front of Dave (and I hope to stay there).

[XC] moddolicous
08-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, I don't know what movieman is doing, but I am beating him pretty soundly today. Even though I only have two machines on my line right now, I want to get ~6mil a day. I'm not sure if that is possible with them though.

hixie
08-29-2007, 07:03 AM
moddolicous;2395322']Mine seems to be working fine. What type of errors Hixie?? Try this installer:
http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/
The 2.0 with security updates installed. Either way, I am glad to have my IPCOP up and running and am currently in front of Dave (and I hope to stay there).

Workers hanging, works fine after a restart, but then hangs again after a couple hours :(

Movieman
08-29-2007, 07:11 AM
moddolicous;2395811']Well, I don't know what movieman is doing, but I am beating him pretty soundly today. Even though I only have two machines on my line right now, I want to get ~6mil a day. I'm not sure if that is possible with them though.

I haven't been running 24/7..And on one machine I have MJ12 on a 7 gig partition and it fills it every 4-6 hours..Have to shut it down, clear the files and start over..a PITA to be honest.
Glad to see you back!:up:

[XC] moddolicous
08-29-2007, 08:28 AM
Thats too bad to hear movieman. I added a third machine and so far the IPCOP machine is running like a tank. If you could get one up Dave, you would realize how much nicer it is than a regular router. I noticed you had it running on fewer rigs than usual. Soon we'll have to make a charge for 1st.
Hixie: Do you have automatic restart enabled. I'm not sure but if you go into the web server gui (has to be enabled) I think you can set how often it restarts (aka 3 hours or so). I'm not sure.

Movieman
08-29-2007, 08:32 AM
moddolicous;2399734']Thats too bad to hear movieman. I added a third machine and so far the IPCOP machine is running like a tank. If you could get one up Dave, you would realize how much nicer it is than a regular router. I noticed you had it running on fewer rigs than usual. Soon we'll have to make a charge for 1st.
Hixie: Do you have automatic restart enabled. I'm not sure but if you go into the web server gui (has to be enabled) I think you can set how often it restarts (aka 3 hours or so). I'm not sure.

To use IPCOP do you need a machine dedicated to do just that?
If I can install and use the machine for something else then it's worth doing.

[XC] moddolicous
08-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Yea, you need a machine to do it. With a 15/2 line like yours, something along the lines of an amd k6 500mhz (what I'm using) should do fine. You don't need anything crazy. Depending on the number of machines connected, ram will be important. Unless you have more than 10machines, 512mb of ram is more than enough. Once you install it, you can run boinc/F@H on it (F@H is easy to install, Boinc might take more searching / asking questions to our linux gurus). One very important step: Get all the information from your ISP directly. I googled and searched and couldn't find out what my subnet mack / default gateway was. Turns out I didn't need it because my ISP gives me all this via DHCP. Once I set that in IPCOP, I was up and running.

Movieman
08-29-2007, 09:01 AM
moddolicous;2399766']Yea, you need a machine to do it. With a 15/2 line like yours, something along the lines of an amd k6 500mhz (what I'm using) should do fine. You don't need anything crazy. Depending on the number of machines connected, ram will be important. Unless you have more than 10machines, 512mb of ram is more than enough. Once you install it, you can run boinc/F@H on it (F@H is easy to install, Boinc might take more searching / asking questions to our linux gurus). One very important step: Get all the information from your ISP directly. I googled and searched and couldn't find out what my subnet mack / default gateway was. Turns out I didn't need it because my ISP gives me all this via DHCP. Once I set that in IPCOP, I was up and running.

Wait, is this windows based or Linux based?
Remember who your talking to..strictly windows here..:D

[XC] moddolicous
08-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Wait, is this windows based or Linux based?
Remember who your talking to..strictly windows here..:D
It is 100% linux based movieman. Sorry. Its really easy to set up though. I'm no linux expert and I got it. I'm sure you can do it. Only if you wanted to install boinc on it would it get over your head (thats how easy it is to set up).

Movieman
08-29-2007, 10:56 AM
moddolicous;2400005']It is 100% linux based movieman. Sorry. Its really easy to set up though. I'm no linux expert and I got it. I'm sure you can do it. Only if you wanted to install boinc on it would it get over your head (thats how easy it is to set up).

Hmm, got to think on this..The key thing is I need to use a machine for more than just IPCOP.Won't run the elec for just that...It has to run WCG also..
Three machines running..The clover, the DX3600 and the sossaman..
Clover is out for this...DX3600 is my "everyday" machine so that leaves the dual sossaman..32 bit only is the one limitation..Onboard gigabit nic(dual)
All that does is WCG and MJ12..

[XC] moddolicous
08-29-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm sure you could get WCG to work on it, but after you install IPCOP, you will only get the linux console (aka no desktop, only command line). So there will be a LOT of typing, no real graphics, and it might be hard to tell when you run out of work. A dual sossamon rig is WAY overkill for this. You only have 3 comps in your house? No oldies? I agree that it shouldn't just run IPCOP.

Movieman
08-29-2007, 11:37 AM
moddolicous;2400100']I'm sure you could get WCG to work on it, but after you install IPCOP, you will only get the linux console (aka no desktop, only command line). So there will be a LOT of typing, no real graphics, and it might be hard to tell when you run out of work. A dual sossamon rig is WAY overkill for this. You only have 3 comps in your house? No oldies? I agree that it shouldn't just run IPCOP.

I could maybe toss together a P3-450 from parts or a old AMD slot A 700mhz but that defeats the purpose..The total elec is the issue to me..Maxxed on what I can handle now with 2 clovers, the DX3600 and the sossaman running 100% load 24/7

[XC] moddolicous
08-29-2007, 11:55 AM
I doubt an amd 700mhz draws more than $5 worth of electricity a month. I could be wrong though. Thankfully, I don't pay for electricity yet, but I do pay for gas for my car (and that hurts).

Paladin
08-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Not sure what version of Linux IPCop (or m0n0wall or Smoothwall) are based on, but here's a simple guide for installing & running BOINC as a Debian-based (Ubuntu is Deb based) service.
http://wiki.debian.org/BOINC

modd: Any reason you went with IPCop rather than mono or smooth? I've been thinking of bypassing my Linksys router.

[XC] moddolicous
08-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Well, in the past I have tried to get a smoothwall up and couldn't (probably because I never bothered with calling my ISP). I dont think it makes much of a difference. They each have functions that might appeal to people. I know m0n0wall can run off a cd and just writes to a floppy. One major difference:
m0n0wall=BSD
Smoothwall / Ipcop= based off of stripped down redhat linux (I think).

hixie
08-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Not sure what smothwall is based off, but IPCOP is a modified version of smothwall.

I have automatic restart enabled but still no go.