PDA

View Full Version : kubuntu 6.10 problems

pwnage101
08-25-2007, 10:54 PM
i was in the middle of my build (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590917) and since vista doesn't come for another couple days i decided in install linux. i had an old kubuntu 6.10 live cd lying around and gave it a try. here's what happened:

i get to the liveCD "menu" and click "install/try linux" (or something) to get into GUI mode and install but after all the loading, it gives me a bunch of words on the screen. it says something about a video error (i think) and goes on about having no warranty with linux blah blah.....and brings me to a fullscreen command terminal thing. "@ubuntu:~$" and it just stops. thats it....no entering gui mode. should i burn a later version of linux? i've installed kubuntu 6.10 many times off this cd

i'll try it again tomorrow so i can tell you exactly what happened. do you guys think i should burn a later version of linux? should i show this to the ubuntu forums?

tux08902
08-28-2007, 12:40 PM
You're having driver issues, and 6.10 is old. So, it may not have the drivers that supports you 8800GTX. You should get the latest version of Kubuntu, if that's what you want to use.

jws2346
09-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Heck, I'm posting this on a Athlon X2 4200+ with a dual booting system of Ubuntu v7.04 and Kubuntu v7.04 (Feisty Fawn). I've had absolutely no problemos with either desktop (and Automatix for us lazies). I prefer Kubuntu because I like the KDE interface better than the Gnome interface. Like someone said before, v6.10 is "old hat". Download and burn v7.04 or v7.10, it's free not like windose.
I know Ubuntu 7.04 comes in a 64 bit version because after installing ia32-libs it folds like hell, unfortunately not as good as either one of my E6600's, which use WinXP (1x stock the other 3.0 GHZ)
I'm even checking out the newest version v7.10, "Gutsy Gibbon", I need to build another boxen. I've got a E6420 lying around, need a mobo. HD, etc, so when and if I ever get the goodies I'll see how the E6420 does Linux SMP in v7.10, "Gutsey Gabbon". (it also comes in a 64 bit version)

Edit: After reading my post even I was confused (nothing new for me). What I meant to say was I installed v7.04 "Feisty Fawn" 64 bit in a "dual boot" configuration on one of my E6600's ( OC'ed 3.0 GHz, WC'ed), I used the Linux SMP 64 bit client and where the rig did fold faster using the Linux SMP (on almost all the WU's I completed) I like the overall convenience of windose. (I think the difference was average 1 or 2 mins)

rogard
09-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Grab the proper install not the live install then when the cd boots
at the prompt type either:
linux text
or
linux safevideo