PDA

View Full Version : Now that's a nothridge cooler!

SPQQKY
07-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Got one of these bad boys on the way. The heatsinks will come in handy for the mosfets.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/minochcokit.html

sandman
07-07-2003, 01:26 PM
I'd rather stck an sk-6 on it.

q149
07-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Me too, looks real nice though but expensive.. I think i am going to order those little heatsinks that come witih that kit though.

saaya
07-07-2003, 08:31 PM
those small heatsinks dont look good if you ask me, very very little surface...

i still have a zalman chipset cooler cut into 4 pieces, ill glue them on my mosfets i think.

BigDov
07-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Wow! If it works half as good as it looks, it should be pretty awesome!

CCW
07-09-2003, 12:32 AM
water on NB would be better, those lil fet coolers look too cheap

jinu117
07-09-2003, 02:39 AM
Actually... considering zalman nb block is aluminum not to mention surface area isn't that big... this copper skived one looks ten folds better... only problem is 875p chipsets probably are only chispet that really NEEDs it now but there is no easy way to attach -_-;
Thought about using paper clip but its... too flexible... any clue?

Yitch
07-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Is it possible to fit an OEM AMD HSF on the northbridge? I doesn't look like it would fit next to my SLK-800U. Has anyone tried this?

Royal Oaks
07-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Yitch
Is it possible to fit an OEM AMD HSF on the northbridge? I doesn't look like it would fit next to my SLK-800U. Has anyone tried this?

I have done the measurements. I have an SK-7 and it seems to fit on there pretty well. I have both the AMD retail sink for Palos and for the T-Bred. The palo one is larger but not anywhere near as effective. Both fit on my 8K5A2+ with the SK7, I just don't really need the thing on there for now. Once winter rolls around I will probably mount that sucker. :cool:

edit: Ohh, and to mount them I will be drilling a hole right through the heatsink (and fins) and just bolt that §§§§§ down. :cool:

Fever
07-20-2003, 12:20 PM
Yeah, that works great Royal. I did the same thing with my 9700.

http://feveroo.homestead.com/files/9700Mod3.JPG
http://feveroo.homestead.com/files/9700Mod5.JPG

Royal Oaks
07-20-2003, 03:26 PM
Yea dude. I am planning on getting a new vid card for my birthday and I am gonna slap an OCZ Gladiator 2 on there. We will see how that goes :cool: I love air cooling for some reason, especially with my new sunbeam. :cool: However, you obviously are missing one key ingredient, and that is to fold for 3365 :cool::p: :stick: :toast: :toast:

edit: Looks nice though man. I am still thinking exactly how I am gonna do this, but it definitely will get done. :cool:

Fever
07-20-2003, 03:30 PM
lol.. It would just be too hard to start over from 24k.. :p Plus, I pretty much learned everything I know from there.

426_hemi
07-22-2003, 09:54 AM
do you think the micropool hs would fare better then the zalman on a 9700 pro?

Royal Oaks
07-22-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 426_hemi
do you think the micropool hs would fare better then the zalman on a 9700 pro?

Hmm, not sure about that one. My brother has the Zalman and it really works well. The thing is expensive though. I would just maybe try what Fever and I have been discussing with adding an old heatsink to your card. It isn't anything tough, and I'm sure if you are posting on this site you have some form of an older heatsink :cool:. BTW, welcome to Xtreme :toast: and please fold. :cool:

CSOFT
07-22-2003, 11:36 PM
They need to just just sell the mosfet heatsinks, I got a low profile copper cooler thats 50mm, its rated for a K7 or P3 up to 1Ghz. 11CFM fan for $6.99. It was cheaper then the Copper Vantec Iceberq I got for my SB

q149
07-23-2003, 11:44 AM
They do sell the mosfet heatsinks seperate at that same site.

Major
07-23-2003, 12:13 PM
I got some of the mosfet hs from sidewinder and they are pretty nice, just the right size. Sure beats cutting up p3 hs to make um.;)

I think they would make good BGA ramsinks too, I usually use radioshack TO220 AU hs for my video ram since I can run down the street and pick some up whenever I need but they are too large for mosfets in most cases.

426_hemi
07-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Royal Oaks
Hmm, not sure about that one. My brother has the Zalman and it really works well. The thing is expensive though. I would just maybe try what Fever and I have been discussing with adding an old heatsink to your card. It isn't anything tough, and I'm sure if you are posting on this site you have some form of an older heatsink :cool:. BTW, welcome to Xtreme :toast: and please fold. :cool:

ty, im from FM and its good to finally be at xs :cool:, i have an old volcano 7+ heatsink :D, but i dont have the tools to machine it, cause i have an AIW 9700 pro, and the tv tuner gets in the way, so the hs wont fit :mad:

TheWeaseL
07-31-2003, 04:19 PM
I actually went and bought one of those microcool northpole's, and I will tell you, it's probably the nicest thing you can get for cooling your nb right now, aside from say making your own with an old cpu heatsink.

The mosfet coolers seemed a bit wimpy to me, but I did make use of the clocker generator heatsinks, since I didn't know I should be cooling them until now...:(

BigDov
08-04-2003, 01:26 PM
SPQQKY, you ever get that thing installed, and if so what were your before/after results?! :D

Craig
08-05-2003, 06:52 PM
I have one of those sets on the way. They look pretty good to me.

Guess I'll know for sure when I get my new rig set up.;)