PDA

View Full Version : Vista Optimized Ram

DerekT
08-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Ok, new tact here since it seems that humor at this advertising is not taken.

Please OCz staff, tell me what the mechanical difference is between Vista Optimized RAM and Non-Vista Optimized RAM.

mackanz
08-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Well, there isn't any mechanics in ram, no moving parts.

Omastar
08-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Vista Optimized = 4x1GB/2x2GB. Non Vista Optimized = 2x1GB.

:rolleyes:

Wait, sorry, that was too direct. Let me put on my marketing jargon hat:

"Windows Vista (TM) Optimized memory modules from OCZ allow the user to supercharge their Vista experience! With OMGWTFBBQ Honeycomb heatspreaders, these modules are capable of higher speeds and lower latencies, improving your overall experience. OCZ recommends 4GB of memory for optimal Vista performance."

(Now, replicate that statement and replace OCZ with Corsair, mushkin, G.Skill, Kingston, etc. for a general idea).

afireinside
08-23-2007, 02:53 PM
the packaging is different

andyOCZ
08-23-2007, 09:15 PM
You are all correct. Since Vista is a memory hog and barely runs on 2gb, a 4gb kits with good latencies is "optimized" for a better experience. That's all there is to this. :)

Omastar
08-23-2007, 09:23 PM
You are all correct. Since Vista is a memory hog and barely runs on 2gb, a 4gb kits with good latencies is "optimized" for a better experience. That's all there is to this. :)

Although there is a patch forthcoming to improve RAM usage.

andyOCZ
08-23-2007, 09:38 PM
I guess the patch much fix RAM leaks and code bloat? ;)

Omastar
08-23-2007, 09:46 PM
I guess the patch much fix RAM leaks and code bloat? ;)

Hopefully, yes.

DerekT
08-24-2007, 11:16 AM
It's the mainboard that is the issue with 2 X 2GB and and 4 X 1GB. The issue is latencies of the chipset, bios limitations and issues of mainboard data stream.

2 X 2GB of 8500C5 with 5-5-5-15 is 8500C5 with 5-5-5-15. Whether in Vista or in WinXP or other OS's. When mainboards/bios/chipsets are optimized for the 4GB, then the RAM is, of course, workable. This is happening with the new P35 and X38. The ram is not the issue here.

This brings to mind SLi optimized RAM.

Thanks for the chuckle though. And Omastar, great humor man. :)

Well, there isn't any mechanics in ram, no moving parts.

Definition #6

Mechanical = pertaining to the design use, understanding, etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mechanical

Think outside of the box you bound yourself in mackanz...

andyOCZ
08-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Barely runs ? lol i think your thinking of 1gb cuss my systems doesnt "barely" run on 2gb it runs just the same as windows xp. It uses only 100mb more overall then xp...

"Barely runs" was used for emphasis and refers to what customers have told me their experiences are when running some hefty applications. I have trouble with XP slowing down when I have Outlook, Firefox (5 or so tabs open) and then try to open Word or Excel. When running a single app i have no such problem. I'm waiting for Vista to be as trouble free as XP before i make the move. ;)