PDA

View Full Version : Today's Rant! trucks/vans/SUV's

LBJGH
07-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Just thought I'd post this rant.... you may be able to read between the lines that I drive a small car (Saturn)

This has really been bugging me for a while now. Why the hell is everyone driving trucks/vans/SUV's? These things guzzle gas, handle poorly and obstruct the view of other drivers!

I've heard people say that they feel safer and have a better view of the road when driving these vehicles. In my opinion, these people are just plain selfish! They feel safer because their vehicle is larger than whatever they’ll crashes in to... what about the people/vehicles they hit? As far as the commanding view of the road... what about the people behind you? And fuel consumption... I'm no tree hugger but who in their right mind wants to fill up a 100-litre tank every few days?

As far a people saying, "we need a truck/van/suv". Give me a break! The majority of these vehicles are used to commute to and from work with one person in the vehicle. When was the last time your $50,000 SUV was axle deep in mud, or your 7-seater minivan occupied by 7 people? The typical Canadian family of 4 needs nothing more than a 4-door family sedan. I don't have any problem with trades’ people using trucks and vans as they were intended to be used.

I’d love to see the Government mandate a MAXIMUM driver seat height in all passenger vehicles. You need a van, by all means get one and haul your large family around. If you regularly have to drive through 2ft of mud, by all means get a 4x4 pickup or SUV.

The largest sectors of the population is getting grey (AKA yuppies) and have a hard time getting in and out of a regular car. And with age, eye site becomes an issue. I guess I should give the old folks a break 'cause they do need something easy to get into and something with a commanding view of the road for their poor eye site and slower reaction times.

sysfailur
07-08-2002, 01:20 AM
Good question! Maybe people are power hungry? Making up for "something" :P

deerhunter
07-08-2002, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by LBJGH
In my opinion, these people are just plain selfish!
<----------raising my hand, yep I'm selfish!

2002 Explorer for running over small cars!:p

LBJGH
07-08-2002, 05:17 AM
hahaha... good one, I'll have to remember to slow down by the shoulder, that way I can admire the triple gainer your Ford does through the ditch. :)

Originally posted by deerhunter

<----------raising my hand, yep I'm selfish!

2002 Explorer for running over small cars!:p

JBELL
07-08-2002, 09:29 AM
1996 GMC Sonoma with aftermarket air intake and TBI riser.

4.3L v6 pushing over 200bhp(with exhuast system instalation) I will have same power as dodge and ford V8's.

2wd, stock height... she does just fine and saturns are great but you should get a truck! they are better.

LBJGH
07-08-2002, 10:44 AM
Didn't I see your truck featured HERE (http://poseur.4x4.org/)

Originally posted by JBELL
1996 GMC Sonoma with aftermarket air intake and TBI riser.

4.3L v6 pushing over 200bhp(with exhuast system instalation) I will have same power as dodge and ford V8's.

2wd, stock height... she does just fine and saturns are great but you should get a truck! they are better.

JBELL
07-08-2002, 10:48 AM
my baby and me chillin'

N8
07-08-2002, 10:56 AM
You remember this post next time it snows 6 inches or more(or less :p ) and some SUV pulls ur saturn out of a snow drift :banana:

JBELL
07-08-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by [N8]
You remember this post next time it snows 6 inches or more(or less :p ) and some SUV pulls ur saturn out of a snow drift :banana:

tehehehe :banana: :banana: :banana:

LBJGH
07-08-2002, 02:14 PM
Actually I usually see the SUV's in the ditch, I just drive right past em... the last big storm here I saw two vans and one p/u in the ditch on the way home. I guess they are futher from the road and can't see that the road is slippery.

Originally posted by [N8]

Smizack
07-08-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by JBELL
my baby and me chillin'

Here's one with the new pinstripe.

Never mind the devil horns... Don't know what happened there. :)

LBJGH
07-08-2002, 04:05 PM
Since we are showing baby pictures... here is my wheels I use to drive... long gone now :mad: http://members.rogers.com/lbjgh/68_camaro.jpg

Smizack
07-08-2002, 04:21 PM
I drove one of these once. And didn't wanna get off of it...

I'm trying to buy one, but damn. I could get a decent car for that price.

stompah
07-08-2002, 06:24 PM
Ok what is up with people in small cars who dont know how to drive?

I wont even get into it. But I will say this drivers license exams ARE WAY TO EASY!!!

I consider myself a good driver with bouts of stupidity. I only have 2 accidecnts that were my fault. Once I scraped my driverside rear view mirror on another car in traffic and I once rearended someone when my ABS came on... both accidents were very slight damage. I have been in numerous accidents that were not my fault. At least 6 that I can recall now.

I think we need to teach people how to use their rather than scold them for buying it. Those people who have their SUVs in the ditch with snow on the ground were driving too fast or following too close. I drive a Crown Victoria and I only got stuck 2 times... once when I drove into a spot full of snow not thinking that the wet snow will freeze at night and lock my tires in... no car could have got out of that 4wd even. and the othr tiem while driving a taxi I had to stop on an uplowed hill to drop passengers off. Everytime I gassed it the traction control came on and the car went sideways.

But back to your point. You shouldnt be pissed cause people drive these vehicles you should be pissed that their lack of driving skillz forces them to buy an oversized vehicle cause they are afriad to die when they flip 20 times on their way to work. Or they need their pseudo 4 wheel drive when they dont engage it the night before and lots of these SUVs are still old tech and the car needs to roll a few feet to engage the front hubs.

Well anyways....