PDA

View Full Version : Iwaki RD30 Burning Smell - No Longer Works

phcjpp
08-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Hi All,

I am wondering if one of my Iwaki RD30's has burn't out. It stinks and no longer pumps. Ideas ?

Ta
Chris

phcjpp
08-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Hmm,

Can't see how it would be ac - there are 2 pumps running - one is still going fine. Jammed impeller - well it was running ok up until 5 mins ago.

Ta
C

NaeKuh
08-20-2007, 01:31 PM
omg... say it aint so...

the sky is seriously falling.

ummm burned smell, did you turn them both up on high? im looking at your psu that your running them on.

Also the burning smell can be from the petras gell stuff. If you have the pump on full blast, yeah the thing gets kinda hot.

Kayin
08-20-2007, 02:32 PM
I think we got a burned Iwaki. Call the papers, you said it couldn't happen...

phcjpp
08-20-2007, 02:48 PM
>> ummm burned smell, did you turn them both up on high?

Um turn them up ?

No line filters - just mains ac into the PSU and then to the pumps. The power supply was $200 and it does up to 30 amps burst 12 amps normal. And as I say one pump is still running quite happily off it.

Guess I just have to replace it. It really is a horrible smell - yikes !

Chris

Grinch
08-20-2007, 03:22 PM
uh oh now there is gonna be a plauge of dead iwakis...*-)

Sparky
08-20-2007, 03:37 PM
but.. but...but IWAKI'S DON'T DIE!!!!!1!11one! :shocked:

j/k, sorry about that bud, hopefully Iwaki will replace it for ya.

AndyM
08-20-2007, 03:37 PM
So Iwaki pumps dont suck you off and then cook you breakfast after all? :shrug:

Grinch
08-20-2007, 03:48 PM

:rofl: :ROTF: :clap: :up:

guess not....:D

NaeKuh
08-20-2007, 10:21 PM
uh oh now there is gonna be a plauge of dead iwakis...*-)

oh gowd heavens no.

Mine has been on since the day i bought it with very little break running off a meanwell S150-24

It has had absolutely no problems with it. Its quiet now with all my side pannels back on, and it performs like a champ.

I still need to see 1 more post of an iwaki dying b4 i go back to my dual DDC-2's

Ummm what PSU you running your dual iwaki's off of?

Jedda
08-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Bad luck, Chris.
It'll be interesting to hear what response you receive about it.
Do you go through the retailer or direct to them.

phcjpp
08-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Had to buy from us so imagine I am on my own. Sigh. New one ordered from petras. Just want my pc back!

Chris

chunkylover77
08-21-2007, 03:17 AM

Maybe that is the pump smoking a cigarette afterward? JK and sorry about the dead pump. Did you call Iwaki?

Jedda
08-21-2007, 04:05 AM
Had to buy from us so imagine I am on my own. Sigh. New one ordered from petras. Just want my pc back!

Chris
Did the first two come from them?
I get, you just wanting to get a replacement pump running. That's how I'd be too, but I'd send it back to learn as much as I could about what happened if it was me, if only to prevent another case of it.

MotF Bane
08-21-2007, 04:49 AM
First the death of an Iwaki, now this! (http://www.armageddononline.org/images/impact.gif)

NaeKuh, just take your dual DDC-2's and kick them very far away. Into the face of a Laing engineer. It'll take your mind off of an Iwaki dying. :P

phcjpp, did you at least try calling Iwaki to ask what they think the problem is? You might even get lucky and they'll tell you to send it back for a replacement. Nothing to lose by trying.

Marci
08-21-2007, 05:25 AM
Am I the only one who finds something distinctly wierd about our community here??

When someone is within their rights to RMA an item, they don't, they avoid doing so.
When someone is not within their rights to RMA an item, they kick up a stink because they can't, and demand that it be replaced and create merry hell on the forum until it is.

(Just a general observation... not directed at any specific individual.)

Contact Iwaki directly. Only sensible course of action.

Grinch
08-21-2007, 05:28 AM
Am I the only one who finds something distinctly wierd about our community here??

When someone is within their rights to RMA an item, they don't, they avoid doing so.
When someone is not within their rights to RMA an item, they kick up a stink because they can't, and demand that it be replaced and create merry hell on the forum until it is.

agree 100% :up:

phcjpp
08-21-2007, 05:43 AM
In my case it really comes down to can I be bothered. And the answer is probably no. I am in the UK. I used a US supplier. Thats makes it a grey import. My experience in the past has been suppliers take a dim view of that. Not to mention the cost in sending it back. Probably tax on that. Then paying for a new RMA import (shipping + tax) and all the delays I just can't be bothered. Now they stock them, Petras can have one here in a few days - fairly painless. I only get at most 1hr a day on this hobby so I would rather spend it tinkering than packaging! Definitely cash rich time poor in my case.

Chris

Jedda
08-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Understandable of course. Pity the defunct pump wasn't from one of our friendly suppliers with interest in uncovering why and how it failed.

NaeKuh
08-21-2007, 09:19 AM

When someone is within their rights to RMA an item, they don't, they avoid doing so.When someone is not within their rights to RMA an item, they kick up a stink because they can't, and demand that it be replaced and create merry hell on the forum until it is.

AHAHAHAHHAHA marci i think thats because we think we broke it by making it do something that it wasnt ment to do.

And the second part, is because it breaks when it does do something we wanted it to do, but now we cant RMA it because we tried to get smart and fix it, but borked it up even more? :shrug:

Riddlinkidstone
08-21-2007, 09:24 AM

I think its because a person thinks its their fault the product failed and believes its not right to RMA something that they broke when reality it wasn't their fault but a flaw in the product to cause it to break.

Unless I really know I broke it myself, I always RMA it. If they receive and tell me that I broke it myself well...then I'm SOL :D

Bun-Bun
08-21-2007, 10:38 AM
In my case it really comes down to can I be bothered. And the answer is probably no. I am in the UK. I used a US supplier. Thats makes it a grey import. My experience in the past has been suppliers take a dim view of that. Not to mention the cost in sending it back. Probably tax on that. Then paying for a new RMA import (shipping + tax) and all the delays I just can't be bothered. Now they stock them, Petras can have one here in a few days - fairly painless. I only get at most 1hr a day on this hobby so I would rather spend it tinkering than packaging! Definitely cash rich time poor in my case.

Chris

How about you send it to Marci and let him look at it ;)

Jedda
08-21-2007, 10:43 AM
AHAHAHAHHAHA marci i think thats because we think we broke it by making it do something that it wasnt ment to do.

And the second part, is because it breaks when it does do something we wanted it to do, but now we cant RMA it because we tried to get smart and fix it, but borked it up even more? :shrug:

Or maybe its just like he says it is.

Interesting how suspicions can be more informative about their holder than subject.;)

phcjpp
08-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Some photos.

http://www.chrispurves.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=362&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.chrispurves.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=364&g2_serialNumber=1

As far as I can see everything seems fine. No damage. And I could not work out how to get the back off. Removed all the screws but seems like glued on or something.

Oh and if Marci wants to take a look I'll wing it his way as he's in the UK but no point unless he has a way to get the back off!

Chris

IanY
08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Ouch