PDA

View Full Version : Single loop, multiple rads, and ordering

kohlersc
08-20-2007, 12:30 PM
So I had a question about loop order for a single loop with multiple rads.

Lets say you wanted to cool the CPU and GPU (or more), were going to use a single loop, and were going to use multiple (lets say 2) radiators.

I have seen many people do a loop like this Pump -> Rad -> Rad2 -> CPU -> GPU -> Reservoir -> Back to Pump.

However wouldn't it be better to split up the Radiators inbetween the CPU and GPU to get each as cool of water as possible making it Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> Rad2 -> GPU -> Res -> Back to Pump?

Does this make sense?

I have seen posts saying loop order isn't really important and others that have said you want to make sure you get the coolest possible water to the unit that needs to be cooled. Maybe I don't understand how warm the water will get and it isn't an issue as long as there is enough cooling power, but I am looking for further input on this subject and figured this is the best crowd to ask.

Darks0ulz
08-20-2007, 12:39 PM
What rads + pump do you plan on using? Resistance is a factor with multiple rads.

If you plan on using 2 rads, put the rads in series or parallel. Parallel is supposed to be better (theoretically) as resistance is less than series. I never actually seen someone do parallel rads before.

However, loop order isn't such a big factor. Just use the least tubing as water reaches an equalibreum (sp?) within a closed loop. So loop order and gravity plays little to no role in the temperature of the loop.

NaeKuh
08-20-2007, 01:46 PM
So I had a question about loop order for a single loop with multiple rads.

Lets say you wanted to cool the CPU and GPU (or more), were going to use a single loop, and were going to use multiple (lets say 2) radiators.

I have seen many people do a loop like this Pump -> Rad -> Rad2 -> CPU -> GPU -> Reservoir -> Back to Pump.

However wouldn't it be better to split up the Radiators inbetween the CPU and GPU to get each as cool of water as possible making it Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> Rad2 -> GPU -> Res -> Back to Pump?

Does this make sense?

I have seen posts saying loop order isn't really important and others that have said you want to make sure you get the coolest possible water to the unit that needs to be cooled. Maybe I don't understand how warm the water will get and it isn't an issue as long as there is enough cooling power, but I am looking for further input on this subject and figured this is the best crowd to ask.

let me drop a wrench in your thinking.

I also thought that if you spaced the radiators out it would give you better performance because, the heat you picked up from the cpu, could be imediately dropped b4 it hit your gpu. In essense you were refreshing the water. But here's where the logic comes in.

If you have 2 radiators next to each other, the coolant will get closer to ambient as possible then with one. But if you spaced out the radiators, each component could be fined tuned. But heres the problem.

When i loaded up my CPU, my gpu's still rose a tad bit. Not too considerably then with a single radiator. Then i decided to drop the radiators in a series, one after another, and i got the same result. Only difference is i lost a few C's on my cpu, but gained a few c's on my gpu.

So you need to think what is more important to you, and what you stress out more. If your a intensive gamer, i suggest you put a radiator b4 the cpu, and b4 the gpu. If your a major cruncher/encoder/overclocker, you should put the rads next to each other.

Lastly i recomend you looking at a second pump as well. Dual radiator loops are insanely restrictive.

kohlersc
08-20-2007, 02:20 PM
That all makes sense. I think I may end up going to two loops. But was just trying to cover all my bases.

I take it though that if either the CPU or the GPU are not capable of overloading the radiator it might still be useful to run rads inbetween them?

pwnage101
08-20-2007, 02:28 PM
i say if you're going multiple rads and multiple heat sources on a single loop, first find out the setup in which you use the least amount of tubing and we'll talk about it. having said that, i havent read a single reply in this thread:)

Spacehead
08-21-2007, 09:01 AM
What does the restrictivity matter? I guess that only air in the loop matters cooling effiency.

7499richard
08-21-2007, 05:49 PM
dual rad loops are not that restrictive

I run MCP655 > PA120.3 > MCR320 > Apogee GT > MCW60 > back to start

It works great and I dont think another pump is wortht he money

D5 is a great pump, dont know why people bash it so much, they must have never used one???