PDA

View Full Version : disk image?

Marine_1
07-05-2003, 02:19 PM
ok this is a stupid question, how do you create a disk image? is this the same thing as a system restore?

IFMU
07-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Moved to operating systems.
Not even sure if it fits here best..... heh oh well.
Ok, by my limited understanding the system restore and disk imaging is basiclly the same thing. They return the OS (and any other software) to the condition it was in when the disk image was made, or where the system restore disk was programed to restore too.
Most system restore disks are sent out with pre-made rigs, Dell, HP etc.
Disk images are typically what you use Norton Ghost or the equivelent for. i.e. End user that wants exacts on where they want to return (restore) their system too.

Make sense?

Marine_1
07-05-2003, 02:29 PM
it makes sense, but what happens when overclocking scrambles your hd? what do you go back onto?

IFMU
07-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Marine_1
it makes sense, but what happens when overclocking scrambles your hd? what do you go back onto?
Ok you lost me here......? go back onto?

Marine_1
07-05-2003, 02:40 PM
what do you have for backup?

IFMU
07-05-2003, 04:03 PM
I format typically once every couple of months. Depends on upgrades and what all programs I play with that I havent before. So it varies alot really. So for backing up I will normally put everything onto a seperate hd and have an actual 'back up' on CD's. Its a hassle when I have to re-burn, but I learned my lesson and just use re-writeables when I can. Ive lost nearly everything a few times too.... I should back up a lil more often huh? LoL

Im interested in checking out Norton Ghost, but its a lil more then I can afford for that kind of luxury and I just cant bring myself to trust Norton all that much either. :rolleyes:

Marine_1
07-05-2003, 04:44 PM
lol, i though windows me came with ghost? or is it prepackaged with dells, etc?

IFMU
07-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Unless Im missing something no windows comes with Norton Ghost. Some full store bought PC's might, but not standardly.
Now for the restore discs, those, at least from what Ive seen, do come with the pre-packaged rigs. Dell etc.

Marine_1
07-05-2003, 04:52 PM
ok, thanks for the info

sjohnson
07-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Not recommending any particular store, but a quick google search found Norton System Works Pro 2002 for $22.45 shipped at http://www.dealdealdeal.com/100154.html . You can find 2002 or 2003 pretty cheap after a quick look-around on the 'net. The Pro version comes bundled with Ghost.

I'm using an older version of ghost, I do my bare load of the O/S then ghost an image and burn the image to CD. Takes 10 minutes to restore an O/S and I've done it dozens of times without any problems. A real time-saver.

Ghost your XP install right after activating and if you crash the rig you simply restore from the image and no need for another activation!

Johnny Knoxvill
07-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Norton Ghost or Drive Image are the best

st0nedpenguin
07-11-2003, 06:05 AM
Powerquest Drive Image is what I use.

I just install myself a basic Windows install, throw on Service Pack 1, updates and drivers, and then image it, then the next time Windows dies, it only takes about ten minutes to restore. It's a life saver, and the image is only 800Mb.

You could probably get the image onto a CD if you tried, I keep the image on a seperate hard drive, then if Windows does get b0rked, I can sort it out.