PDA

View Full Version : Build computer on table temporarily?

Shwick
08-13-2007, 12:47 PM
I plan on buying a Centurion 5 case with my new comp but it doesn't have a removable motherboard tray.

When I first build my comp I want to do a quick performance test to make sure everything is working, then mod my case.

Could I just build the computer on a table, as it would save me installing/removing it from the case?

I heard that motherboard screws ground the motherboard relieving stress from the PSU ground, but if I build it on a table it won't have those screws in... Motherboard is a Gigabyte-GA-965P-DS3.

Bail_w
08-13-2007, 12:50 PM
put it on top of the motherboard box, but the table is fine.

palese
08-13-2007, 02:26 PM
I have been running outside a case for over two years now, who needs a stinking case:yepp:

CyberDruid
08-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Agreed...

Oh wait! I'm a case modder--what am I saying...

Yes you need a case--a very expensive case...let me hook you up...

Shwick
08-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks i'll just leave the motherboard on antistatic foam that comes with the case, prolly with screws in so that screws are the only point of contact.

kevinbo03
08-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Ive been doing it for a few months, I just put the Mobo tray's standoff screws on, So the Mobo isn't touching the surface.

The only thing you have to be careful with is PCI/PCI-X cards. When you try to plug or unplug something, They can move, And make the system crash.

StealthyFish
08-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Ive been doing it for a few months, I just put the Mobo tray's standoff screws on, So the Mobo isn't touching the surface.

The only thing you have to be careful with is PCI/PCI-X cards. When you try to plug or unplug something, They can move, And make the system crash.

they can move and fry. My AW9D-Max's stupid audiomax thing did that. accidently moved it and it caught fire :shrug: :mad:

SLi_dog
08-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks i'll just leave the motherboard on antistatic foam that comes with the case, prolly with screws in so that screws are the only point of contact.No need for the screws in my opinion and they'd probably be a bad idea anyway.

I've had my testing/benching setup outside of case set up on nothing but the foam insert from the motherboard box for over a year now. I haven't lost any hardware in normal operation.

Much easier to install and keep components cool :up:

A tip: take the power switch out of an unused/old case if you can find one and use that ;)

strange|ife
08-14-2007, 02:17 AM
i like my cases!

table benching is good though, i started finally doing this myself about 2 years ago. glad i did, it saves alot of frustration if the setup isnt working before u get it all tucked away

plus benching is easier, becarfull with foam though, last year i nearly lit some on fire when i hit 300fsb on my a8n prem..the bottom side was stuck to the foam..weird. I just bought a cheapo anti static mat from frys, works well

StealthyFish
08-14-2007, 08:28 AM
i like my cases!

table benching is good though, i started finally doing this myself about 2 years ago. glad i did, it saves alot of frustration if the setup isnt working before u get it all tucked away

plus benching is easier, becarfull with foam though, last year i nearly lit some on fire when i hit 300fsb on my a8n prem..the bottom side was stuck to the foam..weird. I just bought a cheapo anti static mat from frys, works well

lol. caught on fire? I got my anti static foam from intel's dumpster :)

Better hope your computer case is light btw, unless you're fine with heavy lifting since you'll have to use that to start your system every time if you want to run on the table. Only downside to it all.. :p: