PDA

View Full Version : confused and need help please-recommend a camera

JNav89GT
08-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Wanting a nice digital camera that I can use to shoot pics of anything ranging from my kids, to my cars, to some nature stuff(we have cranes that live near out lake that would be cool to take pics of).
Anyway, I have a nicer older Sony DSC(bigger camera with good features-not tiny crap one) but it's a 4.1mp and the wife generally hides it from me, so she can use it to take pics of the kids.

So I'm thinking I'd like something with higher MP that I could take larger pics of my car and get some cool effect with. IE night shots of car parked while getting a longer exposure of traffic in background with the light bleed etc...

I'm not going to spend days on end learning about time consuming stuff. I'm thinking an SLR like camera should fill the bill. Was thinking of a Cannon S5IS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120207
but wanted to get some opinions on if this will do what I want.
How big can I blow up these prints, as I would like to frame some of my pictures of my car and hang on the wall of my garage and office. Also, I would like to take some really nice pics of my Children and surprise my wife with some framed art type pics of them. Not so much posed ie Sear's photo session pics, but Daughter sniffing a flower type stuff. That's what I'm looking for, good quality, good features. Won't take a ton of time to learn to operate, although I know that getting good pics won't come easy and in part is going to be predicated on how much I learn about photography etc... What I don't want is something that will frustrate me into submission and give up on it.
thx
John

JNav89GT
08-13-2007, 10:00 AM
give you a for instance
here are some pics I took of my vette
just basic after wash pics.

Soulburner
08-13-2007, 11:23 AM
As far as image size goes, I'll use my monitor as an example.

My 24" LCD has a size of 1920x1200 pixels. That is roughly 2 Megapixels.

A 30" LCD is roughly 4 Megapixels in size, at 2560x1600.

My Canon S3 is 6mp (2816x2112), and the S5 is 8mp - substantially larger than you will need.

For an 8x10 print 6mp is all you will need, going by 200-300 pixels per inch print resolution.

As for the Canon S5 - If you want night shots I will have to recommend against it. You want something with high ISO ability, and the only non-DSLR cameras that can do that are made by Fuji.

Take a look at the Fuji S6500 or S9100 with their "Super CCD".

Magnj
08-13-2007, 12:16 PM
S5 IS is not an SLR.
MP don't matter, look for image quality.

JNav89GT
08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
great!

See this is what I need :)
I know nothing about cameras other than little advertisement reviews I read :)
I have no "loyalties" to a certain brand, just want something that fits my needs.
If I said SLR, I meant SLR-like re: the S5IS
thx
John

Also, Soulburner: I am under the impression I would want a higher MP b/c, well I forgot to mention it. I want to print out wide prints, sorta like your 24" wide monitor lol versus a standard print ie monitor. Think wall art and landscape scenes. I'm not sure what size I want for the pics, but something I can frame on a wall in my office/shop and attract attention etc... I have alot of ideas, but I would want something bigger rather than smaller. I would rather have quality over size, but then again, I want good balance of both.

Soulburner
08-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Then more pixels would be a good idea, as long as image quality is not compromised getting there. Sadly, this happens every day now that most camera makers are into the megapixel marketing race.

I'd recommend Fuji S6500 or S9100. None of the other ultrazooms ("SLR-Like") can do low light very well except for those Fujis with the Super CCD image sensor.

If you want one that may be better "all-around" the S5 is probably better as it has a few more options and features the Fujis don't currently have.

I would head over to www.dcresource.com and check the reviews for more info.

JNav89GT
08-15-2007, 06:42 AM
soulburner. Just to clarify, I'm not sure I need lowlight, maybe i do. The shot that I'd like to take would be at night, but lighted in a parking lot, with a backdrop of night traffic and a long shutter period so that I could get that blurring/speed effect of traffic/headlights.

I like the look and reviews of the S5, but honestly, I'm so noob at all of this.
I've read good things on the cannon, but I do appreciate the recommendation on the Fuji too :). I'll read more, but I value this imput moreso that some generic review on a site.
thx
John

JNav89GT
08-15-2007, 07:17 AM
ugh, now a friend of mine is telling me about his Cannon EOS Rebel XT. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but seems it would allow more "growth" in the future.
I need some tylenol :O

Magnj
08-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Pentax K100D and never look back.

lefy
08-16-2007, 10:06 AM
i just got into DSLR about 6 months ago. but I opted for the canon S3IS before I made that jump (wanted to find out if photography was something i really wanted to get into before i dropped cash). i think it's a perfect inbetween camera (not quite a DSLR, but a bit better than the average point and shoots). i say go for the S5IS

One caveat - I've had to get the zoom serviced TWICE. It gets stuck zoomed out. originally, i bought the S2IS. they just sent me the S3IS rather than repairing it. Next time they repaired the S3IS.

fwiw - i'm using a nikon D80 with some good lenses now. the main reason i opted NOT to go with canon's DSLR system is because of my frustrations i just mentioned. knowing what i know about both canon and nikon now - i don't think it would really matter. you can't compare either companies consumer cameras with their pro DSLR systems. it's night and day.

nikon does offer 5 year warranty on lenses (canon only 1) that was the kicker that told me nikon stands behind quality more than canon. again, it probably doesn't matter in the end... both pro systems are top notch.

Magnj
08-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Nikon's are great too but make sure you buy the right body as some require lenses with focusing motors in them. But like I said if you don't plan on shooting NFL or pro sport there is lots of great glass for Pentax cameras on the cheap.

Soulburner
08-19-2007, 11:30 AM
That's interesting. I am what you would consider a "Power User"...when I am out in the field shooting, I am always zooming in/out all day long to get the framing I want. Rigorous all day in/out has never given me any problems.

I'd say you can't go wrong with the S3 or S5. Read up on the reviews to see what the differences are between them and if you need them or not.

For me, it is the perfect in-between camera as someone else has said. I have learned am immense amount about photography coming from a compact camera to this and it really helps you step up your game and find out if this is really something you want to get into.

I bought it because it crams the most features into a single device for the price. I get a very sharp lens, loads of features, awesome Super Macro and Zoom range, panorama stitch assist, optical image stabilization, and a movie mode with stereo sound (even zoom and IS while recording) all in one portable device with a nice grip on it.

It however, doesn't capture low light shots as good as the Fujis.