PDA

View Full Version : FAT32 vs. NTFS ....

Michaelangelo
07-04-2003, 09:38 AM
What is the better format & why. Will wait for answers.
Also: how do you use those ME oem bootdiscs from www.bootdisk.com. My ME disc is all "F"d up. Can't format it in FAT32 before set-up. My MaxBlast3 utility won't work thru the SI SATA Raid controller. Have it in NTFS now. But would like to set-up in FAT32. Hear it's better for gaming. Don't know really. Would like to know for sure. Thanx in advance for all answers.

God Bless & Happy 4th.:usa:
http://www.usflag.org/

Michaelangelo
07-05-2003, 12:03 AM
No replies. Oh well, happy 4th. See ya later.

:toast:

sjohnson
07-05-2003, 05:44 AM
The bootdisks from bootdisk.com are executables. Just put a blank, formatted floppy in the drive and double-click on them.

As far as FAT32 vs NTFS, I'll let others answer. I see no real difference in performance between the two, so I mostly use FAT32 to allow me to boot DOS disks for access to the HD. Running Win2k and Linux here, with the occasional XP setup.

Tweaked!
07-10-2003, 09:39 AM
I've always prefered Ntfs, although I'll admit I can't tell a difference running either. As far as bootdisks go, if you're running w2k or xp, you really don't need a bootdisk, just boot off the cd if the hdd ever corrupts. But if you prefer to boot into dos before trying to restore a hdd, then you'll want to format the hdd in fat32. The only way I've found to format from ntfs to fat32 is to boot off a 2k or xp cd, then choose to format in fat32. None of the older bootdisks from me on back can't do that.

Michaelangelo
07-10-2003, 12:15 PM
I've always used an ME disc to format before I got MaxBlast3 from Maxtor. It just doesn't work thru the SiliconImage RAID controller. I used a ME oem bootdisc form bootdisk.com to F-Disk then format drive C:. Worked like charm. Still no debate about the different formats. <sigh> :rolleyes:

flammingroids
07-16-2003, 09:22 PM
Ive noticed slight performances increases by using FAT32, but nothing to fret over, I dig the security of NTFS. And my NTFS drives tend to not frag as easily. For anytype of repartitioning or switching formats I rely on PartitionMagic 8