PDA

View Full Version : Case cutting question?

Section8
08-09-2007, 08:16 PM
I am getting ready to mount my PA120.3 in the top of my Lian Li PC-75. I am unsure of the pattern I should cut out. Should I cut the maximum metal out or should I leave some metal in between for structural integrity? I have a FG120.3 Radiator Grill cover that will go on the top of the case afterwards.

Example A:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/ChadReuss/case2.jpg

Example B:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/ChadReuss/case1.jpg

Thanks for any input :)

Solarfall
08-10-2007, 12:50 AM
im pretty sure that the Example A is good enough and you will not loose structural integrity.

Jedda
08-10-2007, 01:08 AM
I'd either go your option #A or, as I did today, cut out three round holes.
#B Has the downside of possible flutter of the thin strips. This is less likely with circular holes, imho.
My choice came down to tool choice. I had a sharp unused 4 1/2" hole saw or a jig-saw to choose from. I went the hole saw because I haven't used the jig-saw in years and lacked dexterity tackling three important circular cuts.
That left me with a "Plan B" if I somehow stuffed up the job, of taking the jig-saw and going to your option #A.
If I ever want to sell or use the gear elsewhere, 3 round holes lets the grill stay with the rad as three round fan grills could do the case. Figured why not keep the options open.

Ashraf
08-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Go with the Example A. :up:

Jedda
08-10-2007, 01:42 AM
option A but trim more off the tags, corners are OK.

Jedda: best would've been rent a Greenlee or Ridgid Knockout Punch 4" Die Set from local tool rent shop in your area.

Yeah, but my biggest panel punch is 32mm and the nearest rental is too far. I'm out in the sticks.

Patriote
08-10-2007, 05:21 AM
Myself, back in the days i was working on my Stacker, i used a jigsaw and ended up making just a big hole in the bottom. Pretty straight hole and i attached my PA120.3 using only 4 screws on each corners of my PA120.3. Worked perfectly fine. Now, with time, i noticed that the bottom of my Stacker wasn't even anymore... So then im thinking that maybe i shouldn't of made such hole...

If you are more skilled than me with a jigsaw or dremel, then i say maybe the figure A would be alright. But if possible for you, then figure B is best i think. And since it'll be on top of your case, it'll look better.

septim
08-10-2007, 05:31 AM
example A should be more effecient. for structural integrity, i dont think it would matter after mounting your rad and grills...

go with jigsaw, first drill out some pilot holes for the jigsaw blade, from start point to end point = 2 holes. be sure to wear protective goggles, safety comes first before fun.

MotF Bane
08-10-2007, 05:32 AM
I've never seen one of those FG grills in person, but they look pretty tough. It should help prevent twisting. Besides Patriote, I would think the bottom of your old Stacker would be under more stress than the top of his case.

b1lk1
08-10-2007, 05:38 AM
I would use the first template to get the most airflow. I also say the rad/grill will keep the structural integrity.

Jedda
08-10-2007, 06:24 AM
I would use the first template to get the most airflow.

Only if the fans are on the other side of the rad.
If the fans are on the case side there's no benefit beyond three round holes.

Section8
08-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. Yes the fans will be on the other side of the Radiator so it will be Case, Radiator then Fans. They will be sucking cool air in through the radiator. I don't want to go spend $35 dollars on a hole saw so all I have available to be is a jig saw and dremel. I am very good with both. I think that people are right and that with the FG120.3 Grill Cover should provide enough support. Thanks again.

Sparky
08-10-2007, 11:13 AM
I cut my case like A and it works fine. The radgrill is plenty stiff to support it and besides it is the top of the case anyway so there isn't as much stress on it as there is on the bottom.

Gunlance
08-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Only if the fans are on the other side of the rad.
If the fans are on the case side there's no benefit beyond three round holes.

3 round holes for me. After covering witht he FA grill, it won't matter much, but at least 3 holes will look better if I ever get rid of the rad.

The_Beast
08-10-2007, 01:01 PM
I'd go with A

rogard
08-10-2007, 02:34 PM
+1 for A

Ive done both and like A better.