PDA

View Full Version : My first Water Cooling attmept...how do these parts look?

adam9977
08-09-2007, 06:19 AM
As in the title, how does this list of parts look? Any suggestions will be appreciated. This will be going in my new Silverstone TJ-07 case.

D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock
7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing
1/2" OD T-Fitting (for 1/2" and 7/16" ID Tubing)
Danger Den Delrin Fill Port
Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamps
UV Reactive Pentosin Coolant Additive (Blue) - 4oz.
D-Tek High-Flow Fitting (G 1/4" Thread, 1/2" OD) – For Radiator
Swiftech MCP355 w/Custom Delrin DDC Pump Top
Swiftech MCR-220 Liquid Cooler Radiator
2 120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 Case Fan - Black (47 CFM,28 dBA)
Swiftech MCB-120 "Radbox"
Koolance VID-290 block (for 2900XT)

Thanks!

SoulsCollective
08-09-2007, 06:22 AM
MCR-220 will not be sufficient for a decent CPU and a 2900XT. R600 puts out a lot of heat. Either remove the 2900 from the loop or upgrade the rad to at least a MCR320.

If you want to keep the card in the loop, then for the love of god get a better block than Koolance. I'd go with an MCW60 and the 8800SMC RAM/MOSFET cooling kit.

Solarfall
08-09-2007, 06:25 AM
looks like some one has done his home work.. the gear looks very good to me :up:
all though im a bit iffy about the Koolance VID-290 block.. i mean its not all that bad just not as power as ones that EK or swiftech makes..
also the MCR-220 worries me a bit.. im pretty sure that its not sufficient to cool all of you components. u need something beefier.

BTW :welcome: to XS mate :toast:

Jedda
08-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Very much like the other similar threads lately.
No info about spec or purpose leaves us guessing but you're putting a full cover block on one of the hottest cards in cyberland and expecting a 220 to handle it and your cpu.
If your intending to overclock a Q6600 or such, you may be coming up a little short.
Apart from that, it seems fairly much par for the course.

phelan1777
08-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the XS, you are now certified "insane" *hands adam9977 a steel wire reinforced nylon straight Jacket.* Please check your sanity @ the door, and your credit card.

Ignore the those guys with the lab coats, they think we are the crazy ones, though they are really insane. They just don't know it yet.

Good luck and WELCOME TO THE ASYLUM!..............

entropy
08-09-2007, 06:42 AM
I'd lose the full cover block. Bigger radiator would be nice, if not faster fans.

adam9977
08-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the quick responses, and sorry about the lack of info on my system.
Here are my specs:
AMD X2 5200+
Asus M2R32-MVP mobo
4GB G-Skill DDR2 PC6400
Asus 2900XT
3 SATA HDD's (total 1.5 TB) + SATA DVD-RW
Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W PSU
Silverstone TJ-07 case

I know the Koolance block will cause issues for me...I just didn't want to get into ram sinks yet. I figure I'll try the Koolance block, and if it doesn't perform well with my system, I'll get rid of it and go for a GPU block w/ram sinks.

I'm not looking to go crazy with overclocking, I'm just looking for a little quieter solution than my current air cooled setup. Especially on the 2900XT...the fan sounds like a hair dryer on crack when gaming! If the MCR220 can't handle things, I'll go with the 320 and sell the 220.

Thanks for the welcome!

Jedda
08-09-2007, 07:11 AM
With that case, you're crazy to muck about with the 220.
Go straight to a three fan rad. Even if money is tight, you'll lose more switching over than the extra cost first off.
The TJ-07 is born to be paired with a triple rad and there's no substitute for rad capacity with cooling.

spersky
08-09-2007, 07:28 AM
I do not see a reservoir. All I know is that it is really easy the fill and bleed with a reservoir. I am not sure if the T-piece works that well. In addition, that is not enough radiator for what you plan to cool. You might get better results with a good air cooler. Nothing worse than going through all that trouble/expensive to realize that your WC system sucks.

adam9977
08-09-2007, 07:36 AM
I took everyone's advice and went with the 320 rad.

Spersky...from what I've read, it is harder to bleed w/o a reservoir, but the res also carries a performance hit...it also adds something else that can go wrong for a Water Cooling newb like me!

adam9977
08-10-2007, 09:32 AM
I did some thinking about this...should I go with a reservoir? Does it make things easier for someone like me who is new to water cooling? What reservoir would you guys recommend? I would be looking for something small...I would mount it in the upper part of my case...NOT in a drive bay. Thanks.

phelan1777
08-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Look long and hard @ your case, try to see the loop in your mind, where do you think it would fit? Work best for you to maintain the loop, fill and drain it?

That is what led me to my lay out as I have the room but I tried to go with what would make most sense regarding flow, ease of work in the future etc.

OT Adam where you from in/around Philly? I am from NE, but living in West Chester currently?

If you are not to far out, maybe we can get to together some time I could possibly help you out, if you want to get a look @ my rig in person as well.

Also Philly_boy and INJviper are not far from Philly as well and at least Philly_boy has experience with WCing, we are trying to convert INJviper to the dark side as well ;).

Jedda
08-10-2007, 10:25 AM
The DD Fill-port (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=96&products_id=3657) is one possibility to consider. It isn't a reservoir but does add volume up stream of the pump when filling your system initially.
The longer a T-line, the easier to charge the system. DD's Fillport has the benefit of adding volume for similar effect. Less obtrusive also.