PDA

View Full Version : Strange HX620 Fan Problem...

Miwo
08-07-2007, 09:41 AM
I bought an HX620 PSU about 3-4 months ago from ZZF. Recently, I noticed that if I turn on my computer (cold start), I get this really obnoxious clicking sound coming from the Power Supply. It sounds almost like the fan is clicking against a wire or component inside. I've tested this with my fan controller and have narrowed it down to the PSU.

The weird thing is that this goes away within 5-10 minutes or so. Ever after maximum stress, i cannot hear the clicking once my computer is running after 5-10 minutes.

Any ideas? :confused:

Tulatin
08-07-2007, 02:30 PM
I noticed this too when i had mine. I think it may be the Active PFC trying to engage, or perhaps a certain voltage tripping something... no ideas. Corsair will tell!

SoulsCollective
08-07-2007, 02:35 PM
As it heats up under load, the metal components will expand, which is probably moving something out of the path of the fan.

Still, wait to see what Corsair say themselves.

Yellowbeard
08-08-2007, 09:46 AM
We have identified 1 or 2 reasons for that clicking. Check the sticker on the fan. If it peels loose, it will tick against the fan housing or the grill. If this is not the case with your PSU, please let us replace it for you.

The best method is the TSX Tech Support Express:
http://www.corsair.com/helpdesk/default.aspx

Sparky
08-08-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm happy to say mine makes no noise at all, except when my UPS kicks in but that is to be expected with a non-sinusoidal AC source like that.

Mine is about 7 or so months old.

Yellowbeard
08-08-2007, 04:49 PM
with a non-sinusoidal AC source like that.

Is that the term for it when you have an AC source that is not a true sine wave? :confused:

Sparky
08-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Is that the term for it when you have an AC source that is not a true sine wave? :confused:

Yeah it is. At least, that is what APC calls it on my UPS ;)

Yellowbeard
08-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Wow, you learn something every day at XS.