PDA

View Full Version : Wrong temps being reported on Freeze pack.

rogard
08-07-2007, 05:53 AM
Hi all,

Ive got a problem with my phaser and Im hoping someone can help.

After working perfectly last night, I went to turn it on this morning only to notice that the temp being displayed on the controller was fluctuating from 19c (which is about ambient) to 30-50c and changing between very quickly.

It is currently reporting about 40-50C.

The unit boots and starts my pc but quickly shuts down reporting "overtemp" as "temp is >10"

Im not sure if the problem is to do with the temp probe or the controller.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

p.s. I have also found that the colder the evap gets the higher the temp reported on the front led screen, it just loaded up a moment ago with a temp of a -113c...it then went up/down? to 90c and shut off.

Unseen
08-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Calibrate it again by pressing the 3 buttons. Read the manual :)

rogard
08-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Calibrate it again by pressing the 3 buttons. Read the manual :)

Thanks for the hint unseen, however this is a custom phase, and didnt come with a manual - where are the 3 buttons?

I guess I have to open her up?

runmc
08-07-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure about this, but before you open anything, aren't there buttons on your display?

Unseen
08-07-2007, 11:05 PM
i am confused too.... :( Your controller is freeze pack?

gsmaster
08-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Hello,
Please tell us some exact messages displayed, a photo would help.
Also, please check the message displayed when the lcd power's up, it must display the version in the end of the bottom line

Thanks a lot.

PS All versions of Freeze Control Basic come with 4 keys keypad that can be mounted to the bottom of the lcd. Propably the builder chose to not install it or install it somewhere inside the case. Contact your builder to clarify that.

rogard
08-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

@runmc
nope unless ive got button blindess! I cant see any buttons :)

@gsmaster
Please see the attached pictures taken no more than 30 seconds apart.
(sorry for the quality)

(I also have pm'ed the builder with this thread - hopefully he will drop by :))

runmc
08-08-2007, 02:31 AM
This picture shows the buttons mounted to the LCD -

rogard
08-08-2007, 10:44 AM
hmm yet in the manual I saw the buttons as a plugin module?

I guess there is a way to short of the pins to start the calibrate?

I really do not want to send this back for a 2 minutes calibrate :(

gsmaster
08-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Please check the sensor's cable, it propably makes not good contact, or maybe cut.

rogard
08-08-2007, 02:45 PM
hmm i have visually inspected the sensor line and it doesnt have any pressure marks or cuts. however I have found the buttons!
(please see attached)
(thanks for the pic runmc)

I am currently 2mins into the re-calibrate method ...fingers crossed

rogard
08-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Nope - after playing around with the calibrate I still cant get it to work properly.

The closet I have got is for it to read the ambient correctly (about 19c) then when I turn it on the temp increases to 50c (even though there is ice on the evap !)

I think im going to have to send this back to the builder :(

Unless anyone else any words of wisdom?

gsmaster
08-09-2007, 01:30 PM
In order to save you some shipping costs, you can remove the controller's main board and send it to me to repair it (free of charge of course)

If you choose this method, PM me to get my address.

rogard
08-10-2007, 02:01 AM
In order to save you some shipping costs, you can remove the controller's main board and send it to me to repair it (free of charge of course)

If you choose this method, PM me to get my address.

Thanks that is a really kind offer!
But I do not want to invalidate my guarantee with the builder, just in case I get something wrong.

jimmsch
08-10-2007, 03:06 AM
p.s. I have also found that the colder the evap gets the higher the temp reported on the front led screen, it just loaded up a moment ago with a temp of a -113c...it then went up/down? to 90c and shut off.

I may be wrong, but couldn't this be as simple as reversed wiring? Maybe the two leads going to the display are criss crossed? I wouldn't try reversing them unless someone here that knows more about it posts, but it may just be that simple.

Nosfer@tu
08-10-2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks that is a really kind offer!
But I do not want to invalidate my guarantee with the builder, just in case I get something wrong.

I CANT se how you could invalide the garrantie !
The builder should have no problem with it!

runmc
08-10-2007, 04:32 AM
Make sure that the probe wire is pluged in securely to the controller panel and be sure the two bare ends of the probe wire aren't touching. I do know that on the Froster controller that the probe wires can not be touching metal or you will get similar bogus readings that you are getting.

These are two total different controllers (apples-oranges) but maybe this can lead you in some direction. Since the evap is getting cold, then your problem must lie with the controller or some part of it. (wiring or the controller itself) I would contact Gray and ask him if it would void your warranty if you sent the controller back to gMaster if you don't find an obvious problem.

Perhaps gMaster will even cross ship a controller panel to you to speed your goal. I would surely say that you could be trusted to participate in a cross-ship. :up: You have been very trustworthy with me. :)

rogard
08-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Thanks for your input guys in trying to solve my problem - All your comments are appreciated!:up:

@Nosfer@tu
Thanks m8, but im just not sure, and do not want to risk it without the permission on the builder.

@runmc
Thanks for the suggestions mate.
One question to check the probe would I have to take off all the insulation on the evap line? or is it simply near the evap head?

p.s. im currenlty going through some pdp with gmaster at the moment, i'll post back when I have some news.

rogard
08-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Ok ive done a little movie of what is happening:

http://holmesgaming.clanz.co.uk/downloads/phaser.MOV

hope that helps :)

runmc
08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't pull the insulation back at this point. Not without talking to Gray.

When I suggested checking the probe wires, I meant where they plug into the control panel. You would need to follow the brown (maybe brown) probe wire coming from the suction line going to the evaporator, back to the control panel. Make sure it isn't crimped or broken. Then make sure the two bare wires, of the probe wire, aren't touching as they plug into the panel. Be sure they are plugged in well and not loose.

gmaster will get it working.

rogard
08-10-2007, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't pull the insulation back at this point. Not without talking to Gray.

When I suggested checking the probe wires, I meant where they plug into the control panel. You would need to follow the brown (maybe brown) probe wire coming from the suction line going to the evaporator, back to the control panel. Make sure it isn't crimped or broken. Then make sure the two bare wires, of the probe wire, aren't touching as they plug into the panel. Be sure they are plugged in well and not loose.

gmaster will get it working.

Thanks again for trying to help runmc.

I have followed the line and it looked fine, ive also checked the collector to the main board which also looks fine.

rogard
08-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Updated with main board photos for gsmaster:

rogard
08-14-2007, 03:44 AM
I have agreed with gsmaster to send the controller to him for repair/swap.

As the builder is currently having health issues, i think it is fairer not to escalate past a pm.

Nosfer@tu
08-15-2007, 04:29 AM
I have agreed with gsmaster to send the controller to him for repair/swap.

As the builder is currently having health issues, i think it is fairer not to escalate past a pm.

But good 4 you that Gmaster can look into your issue ;)

rogard
08-15-2007, 06:12 AM
But good 4 you that Gmaster can look into your issue ;)

It is awesome, the service I have received from gsmaster has been brillant.

I have just shipped the controller to him today (15/08/07)

gsmaster
08-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the good words, I'm trying to do my best.
I will inform you when i get the package in my hands. ;)

rogard
08-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Think this can be moved to the service section now?

Builder has been incontact and has suggested the unit be returned if I want to or if the new controller doesnt fix the prob.

gsmaster
08-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Hello!

just an update on the issue...

I recieved today the package, The controller was indeed not working ok, an the reason was a broken SMD capacitor.

So builders PLEASE handle the pcb's with care, Electronics parts are preety sensitive.
Also don't use anything that is attached to the solder side of the pcb to mount it. Double sided tapes might do the job, but they might hide a problem under them.... (and most of the times they are keeping it well hidden!!!)

John

rogard
08-31-2007, 04:59 AM
Received controller and fitted.

All working! :clap:

Thanks again gsmaster!

runmc
09-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Good people - good service :up:

HoriWanderFuLL
09-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Friday night i used my Pc and all was Just fine..i did not use it on saturday ..
this morning i wake up and boot Pc and Omg i cant believe i just read this thread on my laptop yesterday...My temps was sitting at around -3c...

Hmm so i un did the sensor from vapohead..and did the ice water trick in a plastic bag..reset /calibrated...the controller..

i was not sure if i did correctly as it says calibrate? i select enter..
but tmp sensor is still only reading -3 to -4c

any tips ??

gsmaster
09-02-2007, 01:33 AM
After you press enter and calibration is done, the reading should be zero degrees as calibration function takes the current temperature as 0 degrees C. I must say that a calibration is not needed most of the times. It is needed only when the reading is some standar degrees off in the whole range.

You say the reading does not go below -4? does it work ok above that?

HoriWanderFuLL
09-02-2007, 10:21 AM
well it was stuck at -3c to -4c... so wouldnt reach -20c bootup pc attempts.

i removed all insulation and cleand up sensor surface as i did use a dab of glue to hold it there before i taped it on.

i reset the unit and reclaibrated it in ice water no differance...
i thought what the heck and recalibrated it out of ice water to se what affect it had..temps then read like up to 90c plus....

Hmmm so i recalibrated in ice water on 3rd attempt and it reset back to 0c .

then i removed and let it read temps and it quickly rose to 15c .
so i re fitted and just put it on the suction line a bit higher up with good insulation tube over top of it...

Now it seems to be fine.
Condensation as was wettish Affectted this you think ????

Thanks Gsmaster for the reply ..i did not want to mix and match parts of my other controller as i would then start to get lost on what came from where ...

Cheers Hori

gsmaster
09-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Happy you found the solution. Although I pour the sensor pins in hot glue there maybe is a crack somewhere and humidity went trough.

If you have time, or when you remove the sensor, re-warm it with a lighter so the hot glue melts and fills any gap created. Let the sensor cool down by itself before moving it again.

HoriWanderFuLL
09-02-2007, 04:05 PM
cheers will do..i noticed the line where it must be joined ..so maybe we are on the right path..:up:

rogard
09-11-2007, 06:06 AM
After working perfectly for the past week or so it has started to do the same thing again- any ideas?

rogard
09-13-2007, 05:36 AM
Just replaced the sensor and that seems to have done it.

:)

Hopefully this will last a bit longer :)

runmc
09-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Just replaced the sensor and that seems to have done it.

:)

Hopefully this will last a bit longer :)

What did you replace? What are you calling a sensor? I'm just asking for future reference. :D

rogard
09-14-2007, 04:22 AM
no probs..

gsmaster also shipped with the controller, a spare sensor wire.

I bit the bullet a stripped the evap line and replaced the cable going from the connector labelled "lm35" to the evap.

....just awaiting delivery of some class o armaflex now

rogard
12-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Sorry for the slow update.

Replacing the sensor cable did work and has been working ever since :up:
(touch wood) =)