PDA

View Full Version : installing ubuntu

sick_g4m3r
08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
i have a ubuntu cd and a huge 130G partition on my drive with no extra space. if i put the cd in what happens? how do i install it?

Nick04263
08-06-2007, 11:30 PM
well, from what I hear it is best to install Ubuntu on a new/empty harddrive because it doesn't work will with NTFS. Just something to make note of. If this doesn't apply to you then I would imagine it would allow you to allocate a smaller partition for the installation if you wished but the install should be simple and straight forward. Just put it in and go for it. That is the only way you will learn.

kiikkuja
08-08-2007, 03:01 AM
It is true that can't use ntfs partition, but it understands them so Ubuntu can format the partition for example to ext3. Also accessing and writing to ntfs is nowadays possible. The fuse project is\was at beta stage so it wasn't recommended to use in
critical rigs.

b1lk1
08-14-2007, 07:31 PM
You don't really need that much space for Ubuntu. I run a 120GB drive that is partitioned for about 30GB for Linux and 90GB for Windows for gaming. The built in partitioning software works killer and I'd suggest installing Linux first and Windows second as even a newbie like me got the dual booting figured out rather quickly. Ubuntu is simple to install as well, even easier than Windows. Just pop in the CD and it should boot into the "Live" version and from there you install it.

sanhacker
08-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Or, you could install VMWare Workstation and run Windows and Ubuntu simultaneously.

VMWare just came out with 6.0 which supports Vista and dual monitors.
I run my corporate programs (Lotus Notes and MS Office) on Vista and my fun stuff on Kubuntu over separate NIC ports. Each runs as a guest under VMWare. Very similar to the way IBM's VM can run zOS, zVM, etc. as separate guest operating systems with separate hardware.

Did I mention it runs on dual monitors? Sweeeeeeet.

sanhacker
08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
BTW, here is a link to the how to dual boot.
It is written for XP and Ubuntu on a laptop but should be similar for what you are attempting.

Linux Dual Boot (http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/05/08/dual-boot-laptop.html?page=1)

blackhawker
08-18-2007, 04:24 PM
You can use Gparted (another cd) to reduce the size of your partition and to create a new one. Then, you just put the cd and choose automatic partitioning.

mikey976
08-25-2007, 06:07 AM
You can use Gparted (another cd) to reduce the size of your partition and to create a new one. Then, you just put the cd and choose automatic partitioning.

or partition magic, ver 8 and up is best.

max0
08-25-2007, 06:57 AM
If you boot from the cd into the live distro, im sure you can format / partion drives on there. Id follow a guide so you dont loose your window OS

rozzyroz
09-02-2007, 02:04 PM
heres one for ya, i tried to install ununtu on a 320g hd partitioned into a 130 and 190 with xp on the 130. after failing to instal ubuntu, i tried to run xp to no avail. so i reinstalled xp and now it doesnt recognise the 190gb under the xp disk drive manage tool. all i get is the 130 and an 8mb partition. it shows up in bios and if i boot off of the ubuntu disk.

anyone know how to get the rest of my hard drive back from ubuntu?

oh btw, this is my first encounter with linux, so i really have no idea what i was doing. i just figured it would be as simple as a windows instal, but i guess i was wrong.

edit: i got it back by installing sp2...