PDA

View Full Version : Radiators for a Silverstone TJ07

echn111
08-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Going to get a TJ07 and trying to decide what I should do with it. I am looking for improved cooling over what I have now as I plan on significantly upgrading my CPU and GPU in a few months, but my main priority is (very) low noise levels.

The lower compartment 'will' have a PA120.3. I haven't quite decided on what fans, but am considering 2 or 3 low airflow Noctura 800 RPM fans (I'm aware that they don't generate much static pressure, but they are quiet...). Only one side of the lower compartment will be open and serve as the fan intake while the rest of the lower compartment will be completely sealed off with acoustic damping material so it will contribute to overall case airflow while keeping noise low.

I don't like having too many fans, but the upper compartment needs a bit more airflow so I'll have one or two fans mounted on top. A fan without a radiator seems almost a waste, so I plan on attaching an internal double rad to these fans. A PA120.2 would be ideal, but I don't think it fits and even if it did, it's a bit too thick so it could interfere with the M/B.

- For the top mounted rad, I am considering either the HWLabs Black Ice Stealth GT240, the Swiftech MCR220, or a single PA120.1. Which is the best option?

- Is it even worth the pressure drop to add an internally mounted radiator to the top and and should I simply stick to one PA120.3?

- What is better in terms of performance/noise, 3 very low power fans on a PA120.3 or two slightly more powerful fans?

Grinch
08-01-2007, 03:07 PM
people have/are putting a pa120.2 & 120.3 in the bottoms of TJ07's...might have to use like a mcr220 in the top...

fwiw...I like the yate loon fans

pie_uk
08-01-2007, 03:07 PM
go for one 120.3 pa dude. is what i did. easier than moding for a second rad

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o36/pie_uk/kickkass.jpg

i use some variable fans and it does the trick.

thinking of selling my TJ07 and going for a new shuttle. just need a change i think

echn111
08-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the quick responses.

Grinch: I'm not looking to have many fans in my case and that's why I'd prefer not to have a PA120.2 in the lower compartment. Also, it prevents me from sealing the case to prevent noise from coming out. If I could get away with having no fans in the upper compartment, I would, but since I need a bit of airflow, I have to have at least one fan there. And if I have to put a fan there, might as well put a radiator on it "if" it helps. I'm considering yate-loons, but after all this time, there must be something better...?

pie_uk: Nice setup. Lots of fans though. I may get Tbalancer to control the fans. Not looking to buy though :) (but I'm probably also going to do something with small cases in the future as well...or an AMD build.)

ranker
08-01-2007, 04:40 PM
You can fit an MCR220QP at the top. Do a search for Ladderman's build.

echn111
08-01-2007, 05:02 PM
You can fit an MCR220QP at the top. Do a search for Ladderman's build.

For low cfm fans, is that better than a PA120.1 or a Black Ice Stealth GT240?

Section8
08-01-2007, 07:21 PM
For low cfm fans, is that better than a PA120.1 or a Black Ice Stealth GT240?
No the best Radiators available right now are the Thermochill PA series. They are more expensive and a pain to get your hands on because of this :)

echn111
08-02-2007, 03:30 AM
No the best Radiators available right now are the Thermochill PA series. They are more expensive and a pain to get your hands on because of this :)

Can't put a Thermochill PA120.2 there as it's too thick.

My only options are a single PA120.1, a dual HWLabs Black Ice Stealth GT240, or (maybe) a dual the Swiftech MCR220.

btw Ladderman used a Black Ice Pro II which is 25 mm deep, almost one centimeter thinner than the MCR220.

Psychotic Emu
08-02-2007, 03:42 AM
I reckon an mcr would be your best bet. But I'm not sure it would help temps and with it being on top the fan noise would be less obstructed.
The other problem with top mounted rads is that you either have them exhausting (and therefore using warmer air from the case, not good) or they are intakes, working against convection and a positive pressure inside the case.
I'd say don't put a rad there

echn111
08-02-2007, 04:20 AM
I reckon an mcr would be your best bet. But I'm not sure it would help temps and with it being on top the fan noise would be less obstructed.
The other problem with top mounted rads is that you either have them exhausting (and therefore using warmer air from the case, not good) or they are intakes, working against convection and a positive pressure inside the case.
I'd say don't put a rad there

The rad would be on top of the fans so it would muffle sound a bit. However, you're right, if I keep them as an exhaust it may not help temps and would be a glorified sound muffler rather than help cool my system.

I could have it as an intake and use positive pressure from all 3 to 5 120mm intake fans (no exhaust fans at all) to exhaust the air naturally.

disruptfam
08-02-2007, 07:00 AM
I'm going with either my triple and dual rad both at the bottom or having my triple at the bottom and my dual on the rear mounted externally.Would having both rads right next to each other have an impact on performance?

Plan A: run my both rads in series to cpu (quad) > nb > g80
Plan B: run triple to cpu > nb > dual > g80 or
Plan C: do a dual loop triple > cpu > nb > res > pump loop 2 dual > g80 res > pump

Out of all these options which would be best

cheers fellaz

Duddits
08-02-2007, 07:36 AM
I have a mcr220 in the top of my TJ07 and it works perfect. The fans take the air from outside. It is a little tojjt but it works :cool:

mikead_99
08-02-2007, 10:36 AM
I have a mcr220 in the top of my TJ07 and it works perfect. The fans take the air from outside. It is a little tojjt but it works :cool:

You have pics? I'm considering this myself as I already have a PA120.3 in the bottom and used the other space below for a T and drain, pump, and fan power distributor. I'm curious how you mounted the rad, whether you closed the gap SS puts between the two 120 fans up there, and if so, how you did it. The PA handles a dual core and 8800gts with no problems but looking at quad real soon and will want to split the loops and maybe add chipset cooling at the same time.

Duddits
08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
You have pics? I'm considering this myself as I already have a PA120.3 in the bottom and used the other space below for a T and drain, pump, and fan power distributor. I'm curious how you mounted the rad, whether you closed the gap SS puts between the two 120 fans up there, and if so, how you did it. The PA handles a dual core and 8800gts with no problems but looking at quad real soon and will want to split the loops and maybe add chipset cooling at the same time.

I have no pics, yet, sorry :(
I had to cut little bit of the corner of one metalthing, but it was like cutting in butter :)
Other than that i followed a link that sold the TJ07 with radiator in the top.
Can´t remember the company now, maybe someone else can?
But now i have much more space below with my PA 120.3 and one of my DDC-2 pump :D

Here is the url, http://www.pugetsystems.com/liquid.php
I did it just like that.

Steffen
08-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Got my TC PA120.3 mounted in the bottom :)
http://www.abload.de/img/wak2272fc.jpg

mcflurry4321
08-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I've got a MCR220QP mounted in the bottom of mine. I'd put a 120.3 in there, but all I have the loop is a dual core. No gpus or anything so that's really all I needed. Fits great with PLENTY of room to spare.

mikead_99
08-02-2007, 01:12 PM
I had to cut little bit of the corner of one metalthing, but it was like cutting in butter :)
Canīt remember the company now, maybe someone else can?
But now i have much more space below with my PA 120.3 and one of my DDC-2 pump :D

I did it just like that.

Gotcha, thanks for the link. :)

echn111
08-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Canīt remember the company now, maybe someone else can?

I did it just like that.

That's a 25mm thick Black Ice Pro II, same as in ladderman's build. It looks like a tight fit as it's almost touching the VR heat sinks on the M/B. Here's the picture I'm talking about:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?name=/gfx/TJ07/side3.JPG

The mcr220 is 34mm thick, almost a centimeter thicker than the BIPII. Does it come close to the VR heat sink on your M/B?

I'm going with either my triple and dual rad both at the bottom or having my triple at the bottom and my dual on the rear mounted externally.Would having both rads right next to each other have an impact on performance?

Plan A: run my both rads in series to cpu (quad) > nb > g80
Plan B: run triple to cpu > nb > dual > g80 or
Plan C: do a dual loop triple > cpu > nb > res > pump loop 2 dual > g80 res > pump

Out of all these options which would be best

cheers fellaz

I'd say having both rads so close to each other may impact performance if you're passing hot air from one rad into the other, but it'll probably still help with cooling, albeit less efficiently. Likewise, if you have them both as inflows, two fans pushing against each other probably wouldn't be as efficient, but it may contribute to case airflow if it pushes upwards into the upper compartment. Not sure here. Anyone try this?

Plan B and C look the same. Only difference I see is you've explicitly mentioned the pump and res in Plan C.

Duddits
08-02-2007, 03:31 PM
I use a Asus commando, It is a tight fit, but not a problem. The mcr220 is 34 mm. I also used screws with a flat "head", so the fans are touching the top of the case.
I am gonna buy a new camera soon, so i can take some pictures ;)

disruptfam
08-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry i meant

Plan C: mount the triple at the bottom run the cpu and nb in its own loop and mount the dual of the rear via stand-offs or radbox whatever and run that with the gpu loop.

Would that be more efficient?

apposed to having both rads at the bottom right next to each other.

Section8
08-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Just curious how you go about filling your loop? Do you unmount your reservoir and then fill or do you have like a barb with a long piece of tube connected to it and say a funnel that you replace the reservoir plug with for filling purposes?

NicePants42
08-03-2007, 08:33 AM
The mcr220 is 34mm thick, almost a centimeter thicker than the BIPII. Does it come close to the VR heat sink on your M/B?
I was working under the same assumption until I recently had a look at the detail drawings on HWlabs and Swiftech websites. The 25mm thickness measurement is across the TANKS of the BI series, whereas the 34mm measurement is across the FINS of the MCR series. Thus, I think the actual thickness of the BIP is closer to 30-32mm, and I think it may be possible to use a MCR220 up there instead.

I currently have a BIP installed in the top of my TJ07, and there is ~3mm space between the bottom of the rad (25mm fans between rad and top of case) and the top of the motherboard (not the tray, the actual motherboard).

My plan is to use two sheets of 3mm thick plexi to make a top window, with one sheet acting as a 3mm spacer, giving me 3mm more space to work with up there. I am planning to install an MCR320 up there in this way, however I will probably still have to trim the re-enforcement bracket on the top of the motherboard tray.

echn111
08-05-2007, 07:43 AM
I finally went with the HWLabs Black Ice Stealth GT240 just to be on the safe side (and because it's easily available). Not sure if it's as good as the MCR220 in terms of cooling, but I know it fits and muffles the fan sound a bit (fans are below the radiator) so it does something. The other radiators will make up for the cooling anyway. Once I finish installing all the sound dampening material, going to go with a Thermochill PA120.3 and also add a Thermochill PA120.2 in the bottom. I'll have the fans on the inside and can always remove the PA120.2 if it's too noisy. Not sure if it will be as quiet as my current system, but it will certainly have much more cooling capacity.

disruptfam
08-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Sorry i meant

Plan C: mount the triple at the bottom run the cpu and nb in its own loop and mount the dual of the rear via stand-offs or radbox whatever and run that with the gpu loop.

Would that be more efficient?

apposed to having both rads at the bottom right next to each other.

anyone?

echn111
08-05-2007, 08:19 AM
anyone?

In terms of cooling, that would be much more efficient than putting them both inside like what I'm considering. But an external rad would be slightly more noisy and, although this is purely subjective, may not look as good as having everything internal.

Leadslinger
08-05-2007, 08:41 AM

Damn that is teh sexy! Simple, clean, I want one :D