PDA

View Full Version : Building a badass looking water cooled system

Spawne32
07-31-2007, 11:42 AM
to include a zalman reserator kit? i know it sounds strange but for some reason i cant get this thought out of my head lately

http://www.zalman.co.kr/images/product_img/cooling/reserator1v2_03.jpg

now given that the performance of that thing is gona be utter CRAP, i was wondering if maybe there was some way to beef that system up but use that tower also.

Heres what i have in mind...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/Spawne32/blocks.jpg

mind you this is a rough idea that came into my mind over the last hour, but i figured it may look cool, heres the big questions

A) How much cooling could it even provide set up like that?
B) Would the pump in the reserator be enough to support that kinda performance?
C) Would using the reserator as just a resovoir in a wc system be better?
D) would the pump in the reserator cause any problems if there was another pump in the s ystem?

Movieman
07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
What about Seths Keg unit with a fancy paint job?
Same effect and more bang as he uses top parts..
The ones I've seen look nive, perform and with the lights in them you'd get the same effect..Just my humble 2 cents:D

Jedda
07-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Which rad are you thinking of? I guess you should punch your numbers into Miartin's Flow Estimator and see what the pump is up against.
I don't have a clue what Zalman WC gear is actually like.

Spawne32
07-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Well i just figured the big ass reserator would look really cool sitting next to a HTCP or a media pc next to a TV :D

1badhabit
07-31-2007, 12:07 PM
I currently use a Reserator as a resevoir ONLY. I ripped that piece of crap pump out of it, and am currently using the MCP655 D5 Vario to pull the fluid from it. Works really good hooked up to a AMD X2 3800 @ 2.7ghz, but I also have a Dual RAD in that same loop.

Spawne32
07-31-2007, 12:19 PM
I currently use a Reserator as a resevoir ONLY. I ripped that piece of crap pump out of it, and am currently using the MCP655 D5 Vario to pull the fluid from it. Works really good hooked up to a AMD X2 3800 @ 2.7ghz, but I also have a Dual RAD in that same loop.

any pics of this, and does the reserator provide ANY assistance with cooling?

Fairydust
07-31-2007, 12:27 PM

Ya sounds like the best idea so far. Can't come up with anything, although many things spring to mind involving the words "bad" and "ass" every time i see a reserator.

nitteo
07-31-2007, 12:39 PM
I think you'll get better temps by dumping the reserator altogether and getting a REAL radiator like the PA120.3.

Grinch
07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
I think you'll get better temps by dumping the reserator altogether and getting a REAL radiator like the PA120.3.

+1..:up:

stormshadow
07-31-2007, 01:02 PM
maybe it's just me but "badass" and "zalman reserator" doesn't really jive

MrToad
07-31-2007, 01:09 PM
A) How much cooling could it even provide set up like that?
B) Would the pump in the reserator be enough to support that kinda performance?
C) Would using the reserator as just a resovoir in a wc system be better?
D) would the pump in the reserator cause any problems if there was another pump in the s ystem?

A) No much better cooling than the radiator alone.
B) Not a snowball's chance in hell.
C) I would use the reserator as an ashtray while I browse for a decent res.
D) Yes. So would the reserator itself. You should rename it terminator, because that's what's going to do.

Agent11
07-31-2007, 01:28 PM
You know it's made of aluminum right?

Your diagram says 'copper blocks' . . .

Mixing metals causes galvanic corrosion. If you want to use an overpriced poorly performing aluminum radiator you need to do likewise with your cpu block gpu block etc.

ranker
07-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Well at least you replaced your pump before it died as mine did for my Zalman Reserator 2. I'd just dump the whole thing entirely as there's really nothing salvageable. The radiator is made out of aluminum. The pump is weak. Using it as a reservoir will just be asking for trouble and you'll be required to use anti corrosives which will result in lowering the thermal dissipation efficiency of your solution.

I'd just ebay the kit and buy your own custom loop.

NaeKuh
07-31-2007, 02:38 PM
1. zalman uses ALU in that pot, and the annodizing isnt very great. My cousin got a pinhole leak, and it was a complete mess.

2. Most radiators, unless your picking up a magicool radiator, will use copper in it. You just broke the first law of watercooling. Not to mix metals.

3. The zalman case you picked is way too overpriced. For a case like that, the TJ-09 is even more of a badass case.

4. Zalman blows. Koreans dont learn how to fix there mistake, hence why they dont just plate the inside with copper or create the waterstore take to be made of copper. I honestly think this korean company should just go back to copying again.

5. i am korean so its not predjuice for me to make this statement. But i seriously think zalman needs to rot. The only good cooler ive used from them is the VF900 when i needed an air solution. Even there CPS9700 sink will get a hardcore spanking from a TR120.

Aerou
07-31-2007, 03:16 PM
I think thats too much disrespect to Zalman ...
their air solutions are really great
and yes their water solutions suck big-time, but still, stop throwing the crap

Spawne, sorry I cant say any of my own experience, cuz I havent gone the way of a suicide by getting a reserator

it just looks, but it IMO wouldnt perform, nor even last

you could kinda fake it there, which is totally pointless or rather find another BADASS way of doing it, a different badass watercooling setup that doesnt come with a similar non-sense like alu

GOOD LUCK :toast:

Spawne32
07-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Well i wasnt talking about using the reserator as the primary rad, there would be a thermochill in the case, but with the aluminum now, it kinda puts it out of the picture. Woulda looked cool in an entertainment center though :p

NaeKuh
07-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Well i wasnt talking about using the reserator as the primary rad, there would be a thermochill in the case, but with the aluminum now, it kinda puts it out of the picture. Woulda looked cool in an entertainment center though :p

ahahahaha... i had a simular concept with XSPC. They have a much nicer reserator. But, all there stuff is made of alu.

Had it all setup, was going nicely, then decided to slightly overclock it.

WOW, it performed a TAD bit better then the Ultra120 extreme i have on it now.

So i wasted about 500 dollars on crap XSPC stuff, and ended up going passive on the ultra120 extreme.

Ahhhh, gotta admit, learning experience was priceless.

IanY
07-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Spawne,

YOu can try two Aqua Computer Aquatubes.. they look like electrostatic speaker panels and look good next to a HTPC case. But you have to check whether they are made of aluminum. I have no idea.

The price is outrageous as well.

http://www.sharkacomputers.com/aqcoaq360xt.html

[XC] Synthetickiller
07-31-2007, 06:33 PM
I have 3 reserators. They worked fine on my opty 250s. I'm not sure how well they do for OCing. I might hook up 3 of them and see just how well they cool 2 opty 250s (in the future).

They are great for non OCing purposes, but don't plan on moving your computer EVER.

One thing. All three of the pumps they came with now grind like god knows what. They are insanely loud. If you can get used ones, take out the pump and use something else.

ranker
07-31-2007, 07:47 PM
I have 3 reserators. They worked fine on my opty 250s. I'm not sure how well they do for OCing. I might hook up 3 of them and see just how well they cool 2 opty 250s (in the future).

They are great for non OCing purposes, but don't plan on moving your computer EVER.

One thing. All three of the pumps they came with now grind like god knows what. They are insanely loud. If you can get used ones, take out the pump and use something else.

Mine made the same grinding/grating sounds before the pump died. It lasted about 2 weeks until the pump bit the dust. I'd be checking on the temps if I were you.