PDA

View Full Version : Intel Ad Might be Racist, but Boy Does It Make Me Want a Core 2 Duo

StyM
07-30-2007, 08:12 PM
source here (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/advertising/intel-ad-might-be-racist-but-boy-does-it-make-me-want-a-core-2-duo-284037.php)

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/07/intelad.jpg

:shakes:

Jimmer411
07-30-2007, 08:20 PM
How is this racist?

If anything it is showing 6 men in the peak of their athletic ability at the starting line of a race.

Poor lighting on them makes it hard to tell which race they are, but they dont look african american to me.

Hardly news :down:

turtle
07-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Wow.

Ok, I'm not racist, nor am I a person that takes things and blows them out of perportion...but to me, six black guys (or one photoshopped guy) in any kind crouching/kneeling position, regardless of context, certainly AIMED towards a smug white guy whom looks superior is sheer fuxing stupidity on Intel's part...What, do they want Sharpton's attention? This stuff is not going to be okay until him, and people like him are dead...and we are truely allowed to be equal in every context.

This is coming from a guy that thinks it's idiotic IMUS was fired...but...Seriously...:shakes:

ether.real
07-30-2007, 08:25 PM
http://www.home.no/mrweizel/gay%20thread.jpg

psst....the ad is fine.

b0bd0le
07-30-2007, 08:29 PM
this was posted by gizmodo...

must've been a slow day, or their desperate for hits

the definition of gizmodo by me:

Sensationalism is a manner of being extremely controversial, loud, or attention-grabbing. It is especially applied to the emphasis of the unusual or atypical. It is also a form of theatre

maybe it's just me, but most of those blogs are pretty worthless beyond the early pictures of new stuff that are out. They're just there to incite the rivalries between amd/intels ati/nvidia sony/ms.

turtle
07-30-2007, 08:30 PM
lol...Jeez...Just trying to liven the place up a bit with some adverse viewpoints...:D

I thought ya'll would do the same.

Tibu
07-30-2007, 08:50 PM
C'mon that's sorta funny... in a "I'm not racist but it's funny plz don't sue me kinda way" funny... or something :sofa:

Lithan
07-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Ok, you're in advertising. Your JOB is to come up with ads that appeal to the most people without offending anyone. You go to work one day and say, "HMM, I think I'll make an ad picturing six identical, dehumanized black men in a posture that greatly resembles bowing in subjugation to a smug and smiling white man". Maybe you are in the wrong field?

KoHaN69
07-30-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm pissed - that ad is wrong, quadcore =! 6

tsk tsk tsk

Cracker
07-30-2007, 09:15 PM
If anything that ad makes the "boss" look stupid for hiring track athletes and making them work in cubicles. :rofl:

Machinus
07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah that's borderline at best. Is this real?

dinos22
07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
i just don't see how this is racist :confused:
lithan common man that is a bit far fetched

Cybercat
07-30-2007, 09:37 PM
That just doesn't look right.

Then again I'm American, and my country's compulsion for political correctiveness and over-awareness for race-sensitive imagery and words is at an all-time high. It's hard for us not to be deluded.
/rant

k0nsl
07-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Everyone and everything seems to be racist these days...

SaII
07-30-2007, 09:48 PM
it's racist because many americans think white ppl suck at sports and black ppl owns.

this poster says you'll get more performance with black guys instead of white guys

Spawne32
07-30-2007, 10:15 PM
maximize the power of your slaves why dont they :rofl: what kinda crappy marketing department thought up that one

filmbot
07-30-2007, 10:15 PM
"HMM, I think I'll make an ad picturing six identical, dehumanized black men in a posture that greatly resembles bowing in subjugation to a smug and smiling white man".

How is this "dehumanizing?"

ahmad
07-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Ok, you're in advertising. Your JOB is to come up with ads that appeal to the most people without offending anyone. You go to work one day and say, "HMM, I think I'll make an ad picturing six identical, dehumanized black men in a posture that greatly resembles bowing in subjugation to a smug and smiling white man". Maybe you are in the wrong field?

No kidding. This is a lame ad and intel should burn for it. Dare I say, worse than sony.

dinos22
07-30-2007, 11:05 PM
That just doesn't look right.

Then again I'm American, and my country's compulsion for political correctiveness and over-awareness for race-sensitive imagery and words is at an all-time high. It's hard for us not to be deluded.
/rant
that's what the problem here is

political correctness gone mad

if anything this is clever marketing if it was purposefully intended to stir certain ethnicities up in US of A

Agent11
07-30-2007, 11:22 PM

Also what of the track and field athletes of other races?
Do they not work hard enough or move fast enough for intel?

There are people with all different kinds of chips on their shoulders, many for good reason.. This add just sucks.

Baron
07-30-2007, 11:27 PM
That bloke has multiplied himself and he is going to run over that poor office worker!!

That ad is not racist. Unless they are actually bowing down to him.

biohead
07-31-2007, 12:05 AM
and if the athletes were white it would still be racist because blacks are better at sports

right

"racial awareness" just makes people yell "racism!" all the time.

Shintai
07-31-2007, 12:13 AM
In europe nobody would even notice. In the US people go nuts and yell racism? Damn...

I even asked 2 black people about it, one in panama one in england. None of those see´s anything wrong with it.

justin_c
07-31-2007, 01:20 AM
i agree with Lithan; if that smug white guy existed (literally), he needs to learn a lesson. what a BS marketing department.
im very disappointed. i'll think twice before i buy a quad, taking into account what happened with Intel in the EU.

vudoodoodoo
07-31-2007, 02:21 AM
6 black NFL players crouch around a white coach. So what?
Why do people have to put race into EVERYTHING?

Johnny Bravo
07-31-2007, 02:35 AM
mountain out of a molehill. All this is.

Thallid
07-31-2007, 03:13 AM
In europe nobody would even notice. In the US people go nuts and yell racism? Damn...

I even asked 2 black people about it, one in panama one in england. None of those see´s anything wrong with it.
Sweden is just as lame as USA in this matter, maybe even worse.

dogsx2
07-31-2007, 03:23 AM

I guess if race is on your mind all the time you can read whatever you want into it. I feel sorry for you.

BTW, I am an old white guy who grew up in a school that was 85% black and am married to an Asian woman.

Warship
07-31-2007, 04:04 AM
Define "rascism".

psyconut713
07-31-2007, 04:47 AM
Define "rascism".

i dont know about "rascism" but webster defines Racism as

rac·ism (rā'sĭz'əm) pronunciation
n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

link (http://www.answers.com/topic/racism?cat=health)

Wiggy McShades
07-31-2007, 05:32 AM
anyone whos run track would know that stance its not bowing, thats the stance you take when using a starting block. i do think its racist that they are all black men because its stereotyping them as faster/better athletes. but basically its saying with core 2 duo youll now have your employees working as fast as a black track runner.

mele
07-31-2007, 05:54 AM
Who give a Fvck!

FghtinIrshNvrDi
07-31-2007, 06:39 AM
thought police!

They can run whatever ad you want, and you can choose whether or not you will buy thier product.

My $.02, not racist.

Ryan

biohead
07-31-2007, 06:43 AM
6 black NFL players crouch around a white coach. So what?
Why do people have to put race into EVERYTHING?

indeed, I think the actual racists (or closest to racism) are the ones constantly bringing it up.

CBONE
07-31-2007, 06:50 AM
I'd say more poorly chosen than racist. Someone along the chain should have decided that the ad was just dumb and told them to rework it. I'm black, and I don't think track and field when I think power and efficiency. It's not overt racism, just poorly chosen imagery that doesn't even make sense given the text, message of the ad, or the product.

indeed, I think the actual racists (or closest to racism) are the ones constantly bringing it up.

True. The people that are constantly thinking and whining about racism and antisemitism see racism and antisemitism in every corner and every interaction. Their constant carrying on and crying wolf only screws over the people that are actual victims of discrimination.

Shintai
07-31-2007, 07:37 AM
Its kinda funny that white people think its racist or on the edge. While a black man says: Not at all. And: If you're hypersensitive yeah.

:p:

Gautam
07-31-2007, 07:44 AM
It's the same runner photoshopped over, so there are really only two people in the ad. The runner happens to be black, the smug dude happens to be white. :shrug:

Sparky
07-31-2007, 07:45 AM
racist? no.... it just looks like 6 guys about ready to have head-on collisions and the office worker is gonna get caught in the middle of it :p:

Vapor
07-31-2007, 07:48 AM
If I saw that ad without the context of this thread, I'd think: wow, those 6 guys are identical...they couldn't hire 5 more people for the picture?

Cheap bas'tards making one man do the work of 6.

Then I'd nitpick about the quality of the Photoshop work....

Gautam
07-31-2007, 07:52 AM
wow, those 6 guys are identical...they couldn't hire 5 more people for the picture?

lol, QFT

A lot of these photos seem to come from some sort of stock...I've seen ads from completely different companies use the exact same photograph of the exact same person but in a completely different context. You see Jay Leno sometimes showing such...Consumer Reports too.

There's a chance that the runner guy had his picture snapped for some completely different ad, and Intel somehow got rights to the pic and ps'ed it 6 times over. Keeps things easy and cheap for them.

red
07-31-2007, 07:58 AM
I think it would be more racist, say, they pictured a bunch of White sushi chefs as opposed to Japanese ones.

BTW, the point of the identical people is multiple cores. Ha. Ha? I hope Intel doesn't back down because of these Gizmodo fools. Engadget power!

wickedld9
07-31-2007, 07:58 AM
This is the lamest thread ever.

The athlete closely resembles Justin Gatlin who is the current co-record holder of the 100m sprint with Asafa Powell. For those not in the know the 100m sprint record holder is often regarded as the "fastest man in the world."

/thread

MAS
07-31-2007, 08:57 AM
http://www.home.no/mrweizel/gay%20thread.jpg

psst....the ad is fine.
wow
Michael the knight raider and KIT forever ;)

cky2k6
07-31-2007, 09:22 AM
okay, bear with me... this guy is a popular track runner, who happens to be black. the most racist thing in this thread is the fact that we don't see a smug office worker who likes "speed", and a track runner in the starting position, but a smug white guy and bowing black guy...

A101Sugar
07-31-2007, 09:25 AM
lol. Not really racist... but I see how it could be perceived as racist. Pretty bad marketing though...... you think they would be smarter than that with their design capabilities.

Donnie27
07-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Nothing racist about giving your workforce sprinter's speed LOL!

Damien
07-31-2007, 09:57 AM
the most racist thing in this thread is the fact that we don't see a smug office worker who likes "speed", and a track runner in the starting position, but a smug white guy and bowing black guy...

was just going to post that, nails it.

Rock&Roll
07-31-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm a white guy, and I'm not racist, and I can see how someone could read many things into that image. I wouldn't get too upset about it personally, but the media might think otherwise.

The visual implies this:

The black athletes are the work horse for the smug white IT administrative guy. Considering the real life social context, in which still negros lag behind whites in terms of social status, it seems to represent another white guy subordinating blacks to make his life easier, and their life harder.

Personally, when I'm talking to a person of any race, it never crosses my mind to treat them differently from anyone else. But, I would have to be 100% deaf dumb and blind to not see how much society still places substantial dividing lines between races. (Similar to the large divisions between 1st class, middle class, and poverty) People get pissed off when a race group makes a big deal about some slight against their race. But to them, I say that, while some stories get overblown, it is better that someone be a voice for the minorities rather than for them to be walked on silently.

The bottom line is that race is a factor all over the world, not matter where you are and what civil rights laws exist. And yes, even after 200 years, the effects of slavery are still having residual effects. In the public realm of media, people and corporations know better than to imply anything racially, one way or the other. Intel's PR dept just let this one slip past them before it got to the presses.

Verisimilitude
07-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Its an ad to managers, symbolizing the workers (with a C2D) which become "World Class Sprinters" ready to go (in the 'box' position).

Rock&Roll
07-31-2007, 10:04 AM

The runners are identical (indistinguishable). To learn more about the effects of dehumanization, try reading "The Stanford Prison Experiment."

Rock&Roll
07-31-2007, 10:15 AM

Some people aren't completely ignorant to social trends. Depending on where you live in this large and diverse country, race may be more of an issue than in other places.

While I hate to see media overblow stories like this, I also think it's irresponsible to completely dismiss or invalidate the sentiment that could be perceived in that image.

cky2k6
07-31-2007, 10:16 AM
The runners are identical (indistinguishable). To learn more about the effects of dehumanization, try reading "The Stanford Prison Experiment."

and now stop and think about what you said, then read what i said, and then realize the fact that the idea behind this ad is that the cores are identical, hence sprinters are all the same. if this ad brings to your mind that blacks are subordinates to whites, its not something wrong with the ad, its something wrong with you...

Rock&Roll
07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
and now stop and think about what you said, then read what i said, and then realize the fact that the idea behind this ad is that the cores are identical, hence sprinters are all the same. if this ad brings to your mind that blacks are subordinates to whites, its not something wrong with the ad, its something wrong with you...

I didn't say I didn't see things that way as well. Look, I got no business trying to debate anything here. I'm was just looking at one side that many people seemed to be ignoring.

Yes, it's true, Intel was trying to imply their identical CPU cores. I'm just saying they could have come up with a better way to get the message out.

btw, discussions are generally more productive when people aren't trying to make them into personal attacks. Is something wrong with me just cause I take the time to think about things from more than one perspective?

Donnie27
07-31-2007, 10:25 AM

Next we'll have the anti-cloning folks complaining! :rofl:

Repoman
07-31-2007, 10:31 AM

QFT

z0mg l0l r4cism 3v3rywh3r3.,.,. p0l1t1c4lly c0rr3ct l0l <- the average American today

The_Beast
07-31-2007, 10:35 AM
it looks like one photoshopped guy in a crouching position X6

It's cheaper to pay one guy than 6 :)

Brother Esau
07-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Maybe they/He is Gay & Black:eek:...Oh, the Humanity:cord: :hump: :cord:

Rock&Roll
07-31-2007, 10:50 AM
QFT

z0mg l0l r4cism 3v3rywh3r3.,.,. p0l1t1c4lly c0rr3ct l0l <- the American media today

I fixed your quote. IMO, it's usually the media who make a big deal out these things, not the average person. The average American on the street would be more likely to say what you said. All I've said is that is irresponsible to not acknowledge the realities of race in American history and in todays society. That means, in public, being PC is a smart policy for a company. Personally, do what you want, see if I care.

The only reason I'm jabbering on is cause I have a different perspective to share (and hopefully one that doesn't sound like I'm some activist nut). There's 50&#37; truth on both sides of the argument. Yes race is brought up too much. But yes, Intel could have done this ad in a way that came no where close to this.

Brother Esau
07-31-2007, 10:54 AM
If thats the case what about about Affirmative Action for White People:D

cky2k6
07-31-2007, 10:55 AM
btw, discussions are generally more productive when people aren't trying to make them into personal attacks. Is something wrong with me just cause I take the time to think about things from more than one perspective?
i didnt say it as a flame, i said it as an observation...

coffeetime
07-31-2007, 11:18 AM

It has something to do with arrogance and thinking everyone cares about what 'they' think and feel. People who get offended and end up making the biggest "stink" about it probably consider themselves to be of the most important people in the world "...the smug sense of superiority". Using offense as a spring board to get thier own personal views out there. No better time for some elitist to come out and explain every little facet of his ideology.

Cuthalu
07-31-2007, 11:29 AM
i just don't see how this is racist :confused:
lithan common man that is a bit far fetched

It's already been said twice. It striked like a lightning from the sky when I looked at this that this picture has "hidden" racism. Some of you think nothing else than sports and computers? Huh. :shakes:

metro.cl
07-31-2007, 11:58 AM
It's already been said twice. It striked like a lightning from the sky when I looked at this that this picture has "hidden" racism. Some of you think nothing else than sports and computers? Huh. :shakes:

Check the asian intel magazine issue of Q2 2007, it is the same as this one but with a chinese standing in the middle.

That is also racism?

No way mates

justin_c
07-31-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm a white guy, and I'm not racist, and I can see how someone could read many things into that image. I wouldn't get too upset about it personally, but the media might think otherwise.

The visual implies this:

The black athletes are the work horse for the smug white IT administrative guy. Considering the real life social context, in which still negros lag behind whites in terms of social status, it seems to represent another white guy subordinating blacks to make his life easier, and their life harder.

Personally, when I'm talking to a person of any race, it never crosses my mind to treat them differently from anyone else. But, I would have to be 100&#37; deaf dumb and blind to not see how much society still places substantial dividing lines between races. (Similar to the large divisions between 1st class, middle class, and poverty) People get pissed off when a race group makes a big deal about some slight against their race. But to them, I say that, while some stories get overblown, it is better that someone be a voice for the minorities rather than for them to be walked on silently.

The bottom line is that race is a factor all over the world, not matter where you are and what civil rights laws exist. And yes, even after 200 years, the effects of slavery are still having residual effects. In the public realm of media, people and corporations know better than to imply anything racially, one way or the other. Intel's PR dept just let this one slip past them before it got to the presses.

wow, get a life. im amazed that there are people who can state such vocal opinions publicly. :clap: YES, i did read all of your post, and your just at the borderline of getting flamed from me.

red
07-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Check the asian intel magazine issue of Q2 2007, it is the same as this one but with a chinese standing in the middle.

That is also racism?

No way mates

Who were being Multiplied? If it was Blacks than that's something funny and I don't mean in a comical way.

Cuthalu
07-31-2007, 04:18 PM

That is also racism?

No way mates

Why couldn't it be? It might not be intentional, but it can still be clearly seen as a racist ad. Advertising company didn't do it's job very well, as said above.

wow, get a life. im amazed that there are people who can state such vocal opinions publicly. YES, i did read all of your post, and your just at the borderline of getting flamed from me.

So, if one has brains, he doesn't have a life and deservers to be flamed? Maybe it should be the other way around if someting... :cord:

Celeron Gamer
07-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Seriously, the skin color may not be used for derogating anyone. It may be used for a color effect. Don't tell me that is racist too.

Anything could be racial intent, if you perceive it in a certain way. I find it ironic that people who keep finding excuses for derogating anyone, or person, or intellectual property is more politically incorrect themselves. They're finding excuses to remove a person's right of free speech.

I don't get how people determines if a creator of a message has racial intent. What if they ad designer was black himself?

If this is the case, I can do a class action lawsuit against all :banana::banana::banana::banana:ographic materials in the world, as they're creating bad images of nudist as being sexual perverts.

Lithan
07-31-2007, 05:15 PM

They are all identical and their features are obscured... which is pretty much the definition of dehumanized.

Lithan
07-31-2007, 05:19 PM
anyone whos run track would know that stance its not bowing, thats the stance you take when using a starting block. i do think its racist that they are all black men because its stereotyping them as faster/better athletes. but basically its saying with core 2 duo youll now have your employees working as fast as a black track runner.

How many people in Intel's audience are track athletes? The point is that stance is very similar to bowing... and it's six black men aimed at a white man; that raises an eyebrow. Literally that isn't racist (But the white boss and his black working computers is), but it's just a matter of how it looks. It's as if there was a Teletubby named HitleyWitley who had a birthmark on its arm that looked just a little too much like a swastika.

Marco André
07-31-2007, 06:09 PM
The ad is nice. I don't see racism there :shakes:

MrChubz
07-31-2007, 06:29 PM
ZOMG!!!!!73435@bl@ckguy1|\|@@d15r@c15|\/|!!!!!!!!!

Translation:
Who cares? If you think it's racist because the runner has black skin and they photoshoped 5 other of that dude to save money, you need a better perspective on racism my friend. Shoot, you don't even know that that's a black dude. For all you know it could be a really tan white dude. Then if it were a really tan white dude, it wouldn't be racist because operantly, there's no such thing as being a racist against a white person.

In short, cry yourself a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

CBONE
07-31-2007, 07:59 PM
there's no such thing as being a racist against a white person.

How do you figure? Anyone can be discriminated against due to race. It doesn't matter if they are the majority or minority.

KTE
07-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Depends on how you want to see it all in the end, doesn't it. ;)

But it DOES have the potential to be highly 1800s racist, whereas something neutral wouldn't have. We all know history very well and where the racism/elitism stemmed from. A touch too controversial, that, as it displays an almost instant deja vu to most minds how the paler skin treated and condescended the darker skin archaically.

I think they're just showing that the african-american guys have the strength and athletic ability (prefer to run) while the english are just too lame and fatty (prefer to sit). :D

I'm kidding. It's probably the best athletic body they could get hold of, cheap enough for the shot, both men being Intel employees. LOL!

ether.real
07-31-2007, 08:21 PM
there's no such thing as being a racist against a white person.

You mean like the Irish werent persecuted in the industrial revolution or Catholics by the KKK? How about Jews persecuted by Hitler?

ineedaname
08-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Taking race out of the picture. I still think this is a retarded ad...

kuhla
08-02-2007, 12:43 PM
True. The people that are constantly thinking and whining about racism and antisemitism see racism and antisemitism in every corner and every interaction. Their constant carrying on and crying wolf only screws over the people that are actual victims of discrimination.

QUOTE FOR TRUTH :clap:

MrChubz
08-02-2007, 12:44 PM
You mean like the Irish werent persecuted in the industrial revolution or Catholics by the KKK? How about Jews persecuted by Hitler?
I'm strictly speaking of now-a-days political correctness. For example, when was the last time you heard of someone getting fired from their jobs because they were trash talking white people?

Kingcarcas
08-02-2007, 03:19 PM
It is pretty dumb kind of ad (also why are they facing against each other?) but i don't find it to be racist. Then again what i say doesn't matter, we need to know what a black guy has to say.:confused:

Jacky
08-02-2007, 05:51 PM
"Unfortunately, our execution did not deliver our intended message and in fact proved to be insensitive and insulting," Intel veep Nancy Bhagat wrote on her blog.

The advertisement was published in Europe about two months ago, but was pulled shortly afterwards. Somehow it recently slipped by again and was published in a Dell catalog.

theregister.co.uk (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/02/intel_apologizes_for_racially_insensitive_ad/)

osiris999
08-02-2007, 06:08 PM

thats not race. just because someone hates catholics, irish, or jews in no way makes them raciest against white people. any race can fit in those categories.

BobHarris
08-02-2007, 06:40 PM
What if it was an old girl that forcing all those black men into submission, would anyone dare say anything?

WRC
08-02-2007, 06:49 PM
people are incredibly stupid the ad isn't racist :confused2

Donnie27
08-02-2007, 07:12 PM
I saw something that went like; Make your work force as fast as well tuned sprinters. With many of identical cores no less. Being in the starting blocks has nothing to do with bowing down to da man LOL! How many African Americans complained?

Donnie27
08-02-2007, 07:13 PM
What if it was an old girl that forcing all those black men into submission, would anyone dare say anything?

But the Anti Interracial S&M club LOL!

Pixie_marj
08-02-2007, 07:44 PM
How many people in Intel's audience are track athletes? The point is that stance is very similar to bowing... and it's six black men aimed at a white man; that raises an eyebrow. Literally that isn't racist (But the white boss and his black working computers is), but it's just a matter of how it looks. It's as if there was a Teletubby named HitleyWitley who had a birthmark on its arm that looked just a little too much like a swastika.

I don't think the ad is catering to an athletic type demographic. It has something to do with conveying raw power and speed. Think of what Superpi is to benchmarking and now compare that to track and field. As for the bowing, well... that's how you identify them as sprinters with their stance.

And what better way to portray an office manager other than a geeky looking white boy.

It's how it's interpreted, that's all.

It's stereotyping but not racist.

Speederlander
08-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Apologies from Intel
We made a bad mistake. I know why and how, but that simply doesn't make it better.

The intent behind our ad campaign "Multiply Computing Performance and Maximize the Power of Your Employees" was to convey the performance capabilities of our processors through a number of visual metaphors. Unfortunately, while we have used a visual of sprinters in the past appropriately, this ad of using African-American sprinters did not deliver our intended message and in fact proved to be culturally insensitive and insulting.

Upon recognizing this, I directed that the creative be destroyed and this be immediately pulled from hundreds of planned or potential publications worldwide. I am aware of four remaining instances which were in flight, but we believe they have been intercepted and destroyed; we were not able to intercept two instances that had already shipped or are in transit. In addition, we continue to search for any remaining placements that may still exist that we are unaware of.

We are sincerely sorry and have identified specific steps covering heightened cultural sensitivity, our review and approval process, and just using more common sense to ensure that this does not happen again.

—Don MacDonald, vice president of sales and marketing and director of global marketing

http://www.intel.com/news/sprintad.htm?iid=homepage+news_sprintad

ahmad
08-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Good. Why would 6 black men sprint for 1 white dude anyways. Unless they were all getting paid by the millions, it would be called slavery.

At least intel admitted to it, that makes it slightly better.

Apologies from Intel
We made a bad mistake. I know why and how, but that simply doesn't make it better.

The intent behind our ad campaign "Multiply Computing Performance and Maximize the Power of Your Employees" was to convey the performance capabilities of our processors through a number of visual metaphors. Unfortunately, while we have used a visual of sprinters in the past appropriately, this ad of using African-American sprinters did not deliver our intended message and in fact proved to be culturally insensitive and insulting.

Upon recognizing this, I directed that the creative be destroyed and this be immediately pulled from hundreds of planned or potential publications worldwide. I am aware of four remaining instances which were in flight, but we believe they have been intercepted and destroyed; we were not able to intercept two instances that had already shipped or are in transit. In addition, we continue to search for any remaining placements that may still exist that we are unaware of.

We are sincerely sorry and have identified specific steps covering heightened cultural sensitivity, our review and approval process, and just using more common sense to ensure that this does not happen again.

—Don MacDonald, vice president of sales and marketing and director of global marketing

http://www.intel.com/news/sprintad.htm?iid=homepage+news_sprintad

Brother Esau
08-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Define "rascism".

I think They are Racist, Lets Kick their ASS and take their chips:D

Revage
08-02-2007, 11:43 PM
this is racist ! those black guys look like slaves.

Asgard_thor
08-03-2007, 12:03 AM
if this is racist to african americans
then it might as well be racist to white people, Because i only see 1 white person

Major_A
08-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Man people are bored. Boo freaking hoo.

The white man is the minority in basketball. Is there public out cry for that? No. The black man (African American = black) is the minority in baseball. Is there public out cry for that? HELL YES! America just like every other nation in the world had slaves at one point it time. It wasn't right now move on with your lives. I'm so sick of reverse rasicm being acceptable but heaven forbid a white guy (the Man) do something insensitive. A black comedian's routine goes something like this... "so there was this dorky cracker". A hispanic comedian's routine goes something like this... "so there was this dorky white guy". If a white comedian (the Man) brings up race... well they don't because heaven forbid the white (the Man) comedian dish it out.

How is this ad considered racist but this isn't?
http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&safe=off&q=aunt+jemima+&btnG=Search+Images

naokaji
08-03-2007, 12:10 AM
that ad got people to debate about it = successful ad...

honestly... theres so much advertisement everywhere, that its understandable if some company tries to stand out

dogsx2
08-03-2007, 02:56 AM
this is racist ! those black guys look like slaves.

How many real live slaves have you seen in 2007? Or, is it because a black man doesn't have a shirt on makes him look like a slave to you.:rolleyes:

Nikolasz
08-03-2007, 03:51 AM
source here (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/advertising/intel-ad-might-be-racist-but-boy-does-it-make-me-want-a-core-2-duo-284037.php)

Btw i hate bosses, and i love core2 duo(6600)
:shrug:

Marco André
08-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Btw i hate bosses, and i love core2 duo(6600)
:shrug:

LOL

+1

Solarfall
08-03-2007, 06:31 AM
LOL guys this has to one of the most entertaining threads i have seen here... flame on hahahahahah

Spawne32
08-03-2007, 06:44 AM
LOL guys this has to one of the most entertaining threads i have seen here... flame on hahahahahah

every so often you get a thread that kicks things up a notch.... BAM! :ROTF:

EvlUndrWareNome
08-03-2007, 07:03 AM

you do know that is the same guy repeated 6 times. sad you see one peak track athlete who happens to be black near a white guy and you call racism? dont you have a kkk meeting to go to jerk?

gay thread.

Mortal
08-03-2007, 07:08 AM
I agree, what a gross misrepresentation of white people! No-one *I* know would be seen dead in those pants! This is outrageous.

h@RRy
08-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Umm yeh, the ad is racist...to make up for it all they gotta do is give is black people a 90% discount on QX6850's...IMMEDIATELY!
Me and the brothers are waiting:up:

KoHaN69
08-03-2007, 07:58 AM
in b4 lock :D

seriously, mods, move this crap to wampeters

dengyong
08-03-2007, 12:44 PM
This is what low life's like sharpton and jackson make their living off of. People only want freedom of speech when its working in their favor, welcome to the united states of the offended.

dengyong
08-03-2007, 01:25 PM
One more thing, the terms black and white suggest diametric opposition.
While I have seen many people with different skin tones, I have never seen a
black( having no color from the absorption of all light)person or a
white( reflection of every color in the spectrum) person.
Who made these labels?

Donnie27
08-03-2007, 01:47 PM
I agree, what a gross misrepresentation of white people! No-one *I* know would be seen dead in those pants! This is outrageous.

:rofl: :ROTF:

Pinnacle
08-03-2007, 02:07 PM
All this racisim garbage, smack yourself in the head ppl.

Black sprinters are superior in their field, just what Intels trying to say about its CPUs, period.

dogsx2
08-03-2007, 02:22 PM
One more thing, the terms black and white suggest diametric opposition.
While I have seen many people with different skin tones, I have never seen a
black( having no color from the absorption of all light)person or a
white( reflection of every color in the spectrum) person.
Who made these labels?

:confused: What tone would you consider yourself?

dengyong
08-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Medium tan.

dogsx2
08-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Medium tan.

LOL, I can picture in my mind a paint color chart and someone looking in the mirror trying to match their skin color with the chart.

dengyong
08-03-2007, 03:20 PM
"Tis true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

"If I could reach from pole to pole
Or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul;
The mind's the standard of the man."
(Howard & Ford, 189)

Kingcarcas
08-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Man people are bored. Boo freaking hoo.

The white man is the minority in basketball. Is there public out cry for that?
Actually i think there has been.......:confused:

Donnie27
08-03-2007, 09:08 PM
All this racisim garbage, smack yourself in the head ppl.

Black sprinters are superior in their field, just what Intels trying to say about its CPUs, period.

QFT!:clap:

Brother Esau
08-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Is everyone still carying on with this? Why? We allready know Intel=The Man=Whitey

Just to let you folks of color know the Government and powers that be opress everyone white people included !!!

Lithan
08-06-2007, 08:28 PM
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/racist-advertisements.php

Omastar
08-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey, who holds the world record in sprinting? A BLACK GUY.

Who holds the current record in desktop processor performance? INTEL.

Case closed! :)

-thc-(cZ)
08-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm blue. And happy!

I'm glad for american youth to be open minded.. can't believe the place they call "the free country" still has so much racism..

What, your eyes are green? You scum!!

pffffft....

Major_A
08-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm blue. And happy!

I'm glad for american youth to be open minded.. can't believe the place they call "the free country" still has so much racism..

What, your eyes are green? You scum!!

pffffft....

I can't tell if this is poking fun or... What exactly are you saying/implying? Are you saying that Europeans aren't racist? Correct me if I'm wrong here but don't people in the UK dislike Indians? Doesn't Europe still have some utter disgust for Jewish people? We know the Middle East hates Jews. Aren't people in South Africa still extremely racist toward black Africans? Don't Russians hate Chechens? I know a few Mexicans that hate Guatemalans. Point is there is racism everywhere, don't act like we are the only ones with the problem.

Omastar
08-06-2007, 11:41 PM
I can't tell if this is poking fun or... What exactly are you saying/implying? Are you saying that Europeans aren't racist? Correct me if I'm wrong here but don't people in the UK dislike Indians? Doesn't Europe still have some utter disgust for Jewish people? We know the Middle East hates Jews. Aren't people in South Africa still extremely racist toward black Africans? Don't Russians hate Chechens? I know a few Mexicans that hate Guatemalans. Point is there is racism everywhere, don't act like we are the only ones with the problem.

Don't you remember that the U.S. is the world evil in the eyes of many other countries, regardless of their own transgressions? (eg- the Brits colonizing west Africa, the French colonizing Ivory Coast [Cote d'Ivoire], etc.) :rolleyes:

Those who live in glass houses...

biohead
08-07-2007, 03:51 AM

What the?

That's utter over-simplified generalization. You know so much about the world, don't you :up:

Major_A
08-07-2007, 06:21 AM
What the?

That's utter over-simplified generalization. You know so much about the world, don't you :up:

Yes it is, and no I don't.

*EDIT*
To get my racism right several Mexicans I know can't stand Hondorans, not Guatemalans.

lawrywild
08-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but don't people in the UK dislike Indians?

:confused:

Not sure about that..

YugenM
08-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Seriously, this double-standard BS has to just go away. This thread probably wouldn't even exist if all the athletes are white, and the guy in the center isn't.

All I see are six non-Caucasian athletes in a "start-position" posture around some generic looking office worker. Where's the racism in that?

HiJon89
08-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Wow anyone who sees racism in this ad is just plain stupid. They needed 1 sprinter for the ad, he happened to be black, and suddenly its racist? And he's in that position because that's a sprinter's starting position, if he was just standing up it wouldn't make sense at all :rolleyes:

Fraggle
08-11-2007, 10:54 AM
This is ridiculous, some of you lot are bananas. I can hardly believe what I`m reading.

biohead
08-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Welcome to the United States, land of the easily offended.

HiJon89
08-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Welcome to the United States, land of the easily offended.
I'm offended :mad: