PDA

View Full Version : How to clean an Iwaki thats been in an aquarium?

johnanderson
07-30-2007, 02:53 PM
So I'm going to setup my loop again and I want to clean all my parts so that nothing gets clogged in my waterblocks. Most of my parts are cleaned except the iwaki which was previously used in a reef tank. When I got the pump I basically just cleaned it with a brush and ran clean water through it but I'm still worried about some of the other stuff that I might have missed. I'm wondering if I should soak it in something like bleach or detergent or something else but I'm worried that that might damage the plastic housing. The model is the MD20RT. Thanks.

echow87
07-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Just unscrew the front casing and wash/rinse those parts thoroughly. There will most likely be a slimey buildup on the parts from algae. Or you can always buy a replacement front casing/housing (comes with bearing). Under $20 online.

Pete
07-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Whats the max rated water temp pump is rated for?

Set a small loop up with some hot water, it will losen it all up any gunk thats in there and be nice and fresh

SaII
07-31-2007, 08:07 AM
pump vinegar?

Pete
07-31-2007, 11:05 AM
It will kill any o-rings

MrToad
07-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Replace the O-Rings for brand new ones, and clean them with a neutral detergent. Put them aside.

Soak the plastics in bleach (1 Tbsp of domestic bleach in 2 paints of distilled water) for a few hours.

Then rinse them very well with distilled water and soak them in Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) for another couple of hours.

Rinse properly again and re-assemble.

Algae are persistent. And I mean PERSISTENT.

EDIT: Prior to this give the plastics a good scrub with a soft toothbrush, particularly the inner part of inlet/outlet, corners, and the O-ring recess using the same bleach/water solution.