PDA

View Full Version : Spec me up Pzl!!

Freebo
07-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Ok people, I need an upgrade, currently tempted in:
C2Q 6600
Asus P5K Delux
OCZ PC8500 Reaper HPC

But someone told me the Mobo doesnt support SLi which is something I am hoping to do some time in the future, so what currently is arguably the best OC'ing C2D mobo around that is also SLi?

Is the ram i have chosen good enough? or is there better for same price?

Thats it realy, reason for posting this is I aint been 'in the loop' with all hardware for a while now so I know pritty much nothing atm, lol.

irev210
07-28-2007, 07:47 AM
But someone told me the Mobo doesnt support SLi which is something I am hoping to do some time in the future, so what currently is arguably the best OC'ing C2D mobo around that is also SLi?

Is the ram i have chosen good enough? or is there better for same price?

You cant have best and SLI because NVIDIA wont allow intel the software license to support SLI.

You ether pick "good" which is a 680i board or "best" which is P35 atm.

I would pick the P35 over the 680i any day of the week.

As for memory, you could do better with some crucial ballistix... but there is nothing wrong with the reapers if you like the way they look.

Freebo
07-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Hmmm, so nVidia been messing round with intel eh? that sucks, ok then, ill stick with the 1 card, its not gunna be a problem for me, well hopefuly!

The P5K board is a P35 isnt it? Which Ballistix would you reccomend?

sofarfrome
07-28-2007, 07:54 AM
rumors abound that x38 shipset will support sli but again, that is just a rumor. So right now you have only one option as far as sli goes and that is one of the 680i boards and the consensus is either the DFi or latest EVGA versions. Since you will be working with the 9x multi you should have no problem with the Q6600. I am a big fan of the P35 mobos (I currently use 2 P5K-Ds and I just sold a very nice Abit IP35Pro) and since running 2 8800ultras in sli will cost approximately $1200 for the cards alone I believe it would be wiser to get one card and spend the extra $$$ on the case (Lian Li of course), high end PSU, and high end WC loop. However if money is no object then have at the sli and one of the boards mentioned above.

As far as memory goes ballistix are your best bet (DDR2-800 for less than $100 AR and they OC very well) but you can also get some smoking memory stix from tankguys that have the D9GKX ICs for about $220.

Nice to have choices aye?

Freebo
07-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Haha, hell yea! I was in the middle of a WC project and new case for my PC, so i dont need any new bits for that, i am ristricted to about £500/$1000 for the 3 parts but with prices these days i can seem to see myself struggle! i got all hard drives n that, good PSU etc, and I suppose my x1800xt can hold up for a little longer lol!

So the Ram would these (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-093-CR&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=817) be ok?