PDA

View Full Version : The Best TFT Monitor For Xtreme Gaming

Martijno2000
06-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Hi there, I'm looking for a TFT (LCD) monitor for my new rig and I need some advice, tips and tricks of you guys about a new TFT monitor....Wich one is the best......17" inch TFT monitor

I already saw some monitors wit low response rates (16ms, 20ms max!)

Hitachi CML174SXW 17"
Samsung Syncmaster 171P 17"
Acer AL718 17"

Maybe you guys use other kinds of TFT's plz let me know...
Share your experiences with these kind of monitors...and what you think is the best monitor...The best of these 3...or maybe something else that YOU think is cool and and good for gaming:

Games like:

Unreal 2
Quake 3 Arena
Doom3
Halflife 2 (not yet but ok...)
Unreal 2003

Like to play these games on my new rig:

Abit IC7
Intel P4 2.4C 800FSB
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 120Gb, 7200rpm, 8Mb Cache, SATA-150, Liquid Bearing
2x Corsair Dimm 256Mb DDR PC3500 C2 Plat. Heat-Spreader
(CMX256A-3500C2PT)
Radeon 9700Pro/9800Pro

trifler
06-30-2003, 12:29 PM
How about Hyundai q17?

mdzcpa
06-30-2003, 05:49 PM
I know this is not the answer you are looking for, and I am not saying this to be difficult, but if you want a good gaming experience skip the LCD panel monitors and get a good CRT.

I was in your shoes only a few weeks back. I really really really wanted a nice flat LCD for my main gaming rig. After countless hours of research, I went out and bought the new Samsung Syncmaster 191T boasting a 20ms response.

I raced home and set it up. Booting into Windows was awesome. Colors were crisp and vibrant...text was super sharp. I was impressed.

Then I fired up RTCW Enemy Territory.....

The monitor was back in the box in under 10 minutes flat. I was gravely disappointed to say the least after plunking down $800 bucks for the top o the line 19" LCD.

The ghosting was terrible. To casual gamers this might not be an issue. But for anyone who really likes to game the fact of the matter is that LCD monitors just cannot compete with CRT.

I won't get into the sorded details of how many other "top of the line" LCDs I tried that weekend...all to no avail. AFter going through 3 LCD said to be "good for gaming", I ended giving up and getting a top of the line 22" Mitusbishi CRT that runs 1600 x 1200 at 100mhz refresh without breaking a sweat. It's huge. It's hot. But it delivers the most incredible gaming image I've ever seen.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just make sure you try some LCD monitors out in the store before you buy. If you are a avid gamer used to the quality of a good crt monitor you'll be in for a surprise. Most users who claim their LCD provides great gaming experiences just haven't sat in front of a quality CRT while gaming, or haven't gamed enough to know the difference.

Good luck and what you buy. I hope this helps.

Ewok
07-01-2003, 04:53 PM
ill second that, no TFT is going to do for gaming. they cant display anything like the same number of colours as a CRT, as well as having terrible ghosting on even the fastest response times.

TFT's are a few years away from being able to compete with a CRT in anything other than saving space and having less heat.

id like to get one as they are a lot easier on the eyes than any refresh rate on a CRT and my 17" and 19" iiyamas have screwed my eyes royally over the last few years, but TFT's are nowhere near justifying their price with their poor performance.

septimus
07-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Go for an LCD with a 16ms response time... anything more and you will see smearing and the trailing in FPS games.

mdzcpa
07-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by septimus
Go for an LCD with a 16ms response time... anything more and you will see smearing and the trailing in FPS games.

And even with that magic sub-20ms performance specification you'll still see some definite blurring. I'll expand my story by explaining that the second LCD I tried was the Hitachi CML174 which leads the pack with 16ms response time. I had that one back in the box and back to the store within an hour:(

However, if you don't play too much first person shooter stuff, this LCD was the best out of the three that I did try for other games (RTS, MMORPG, etc).

Rich
07-05-2003, 11:22 AM
I will get my Hyundai Q17S soon. Toms said that there is
more afteglow/ghosting on the 16ms-panels than this.

I'll come back later with results.