PDA

View Full Version : Network help

CCW
06-30-2003, 09:35 AM
Hey,

I want to network 3 PCs so they can share the net. The XP machine is conencted to the ADSL modem, i have two other machines, both 2kpro.

All connected but now what do I do to allow the others to conenct to the net throught the LAN please?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Tweaked!
06-30-2003, 09:58 AM
You will have to set up windows internet connection sharing through the main rig. Go into network properties and add that to the list, you will need a two more nics in the main rig, one for each machine you're wanting to connect. I would recommend instad of running it that way though, to get yourself a 4 port router and run your dsl modem into that, then distribute out to each of the computers that way. It will run quicker and more reliable for all machines.

CCW
06-30-2003, 11:00 AM
just been told i cant use the switch, will get a router

Thanks Tweaked

makatee
07-08-2003, 10:22 PM
you could also use a hub...that might be cheaper...

CCW
07-09-2003, 12:16 AM
already have 8 port 10/100 switch cost £16 brand new from local comp store

Craig

Tweaked!
07-09-2003, 02:22 AM
You'll get much better performance and spped with a router than you will just using a regular hub. Plus the fact that with a hub, your provider will see all your computers on the network and has to assign different ips to each, whereas with a router you only need one ip assigned to the router and it will assign different ips to each machine. Some providers will want to charge you extra for each ip assigned to your house. Also theres the extra security of the firewall most routers have built in, a hub doesn't have that.

makatee
07-09-2003, 07:49 AM
I run my setup like so...Internet to my linux server in through ethernet 0 and then out to the hub through ethernet 1. Then the hub branches into my houses walls and to a wireless router in case my dad wants to use his pda around the house, but that is mostly just turned off.. Anyways, I just use my linux machine to manually assign an internal dhcp to all of my other machines and thus my internet provider doesnt see all of them