PDA

View Full Version : Dimes help. XS vs The Russians

[XC] riptide
07-27-2007, 02:09 PM
This is a call to arms for Dimes. The Russians are advancing on us. We need a few more soldiers to fend them off. :)

The current state of play. We are at the top, but the Russians are coming. Fast. Very fast.
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/new/projpage.php?proj=dimes

We're looking for an agent or two on peoples rigs to work silently in the background. Dimes uses almost 0% CPU, and at max 1kb/s bandwith. it will work silently with your CPU DC App.

Our subforum is http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...play.php?f=184

Project site is http://www.netdimes.org

Join us!

Martijn
07-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Will be in for a while.

EDIT: is their website down? Anyone got an install lying somewhere?

Martijn
07-28-2007, 04:44 AM
It's working now. Installing VMWare as well.

Okda
07-28-2007, 05:40 AM
never heard about this project before

gonna try it and join

EDIT:

it needs jre :(

EDIT2:
@Martijn
why the need for vmware ?

Okda
07-28-2007, 05:58 AM
i just installed the client and joined xtremesystems

anything now i need to set or config ?

[XC]thewildblue
07-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Welcome Guys ! Good to have you with us.

VMware is used as you can only have 1 client per OS, so by installing VMware and running a cut down OS such as XSOS or Tiny XPyou can run up to 24 additional OSes and clients.....bring your score right up.

SaFrOut if you go into agent andproperties on the client and change it so it looks like below you will get up 240 points per hour per client.

Okda
07-28-2007, 07:03 AM
ic, so running many clients from the same IP will still help the project, i thought that it will benefit only from a single client from each IP

thanks for the reply, and the settings is done, i only changed my settings from icmp to udp

[XC] riptide
07-28-2007, 08:33 AM
ic, so running many clients from the same IP will still help the project, i thought that it will benefit only from a single client from each IP

thanks for the reply, and the settings is done, i only changed my settings from icmp to udp

Location is everyhting. Actually your location is probably a Jewel for the Dimes team because I guess not many people in North Africa are running Dimes. Obviously the more Agents that are running the mroe measurements are taken. :up:

[XC] gomeler
07-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Hmmm I have 4 gigs of ram and I'm sure running a few dozen VMs won't do any harm to my Sieving.. Once I setup my Macbook with OS X I'll start VM-farming my desktop.

[XC]thewildblue
07-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Godo to have you with us gomeler. If you need any tweaks just shout. I have found that you can do the limit of 24 vms with 2gb so with4gb you will have loads of headroom.

nn_step
07-28-2007, 11:29 AM
thewildblue;2336218']Godo to have you with us gomeler. If you need any tweaks just shout. I have found that you can do the limit of 24 vms with 2gb so with4gb you will have loads of headroom.

actually if you switch to 64bit and then you can use 8+GB ;)
Also look towards AM2 because AMD is currently the Virtualization king.

[XC]thewildblue
07-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Yes but 64bit doesnt allow you to run any more VMs does it ? I suppose you could then install another version of VMware in a another folder and start another 24.

Helheim
07-28-2007, 02:17 PM
thewildblue;2336325']Yes but 64bit doesnt allow you to run any more VMs does it ? I suppose you could then install another version of VMware in a another folder and start another 24.

Can you run two copies of VMWare? I just run VMware and Virtual PC together.

Frisch
07-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Tried both virtual pc 2004, and 2007....but xp home version wasn't supported, had to be pro... : (

[XC] gomeler
07-28-2007, 04:45 PM
actually if you switch to 64bit and then you can use 8+GB ;)
Also look towards AM2 because AMD is currently the Virtualization king.

Or I could use my current 4GB for free? :up:

mcflurry4321
07-29-2007, 12:19 AM
hey nn, how would I install XSOS in VMWare...I can't figure out how to get it to load.

Okda
07-29-2007, 12:31 AM
riptide;2335976']Location is everyhting. Actually your location is probably a Jewel for the Dimes team because I guess not many people in North Africa are running Dimes. Obviously the more Agents that are running the mroe measurements are taken. :up:

glad to know that, thanks for the info

nn_step
07-29-2007, 01:57 AM
hey nn, how would I install XSOS in VMWare...I can't figure out how to get it to load.

well what is needed to be done is to install XSOS into the Virtual machine, in a similar manner as if you were to install it into a normal machine. Now their may be problems with your specific download. So if you aren't sure download it again...

[XC] riptide
07-29-2007, 04:16 AM

McFlurry. Its easy enough. When you set up a Windows XP Vmware, you set the XSOS ISO as the CDROM drive. When you initialise the VM, it auto boots, just like a normal CD drive in a PC and off it goes installing.

BTW I have had network issues with XSOS before, but i do have a copy of TinyXP Rev 04 already hosted (did it yesterday morning) if anyone wants needs a copy. PM if required. the same conditions will apply to XSOS. A valid license required etc.

mcflurry4321
07-29-2007, 09:11 AM
My XSOS isn't an ISO. Do I have to make it an ISO?

nn_step
07-29-2007, 09:15 AM
soo you are saying this ISO isn't an ISO?
nnstep.com/xsos/axsos v2.02.iso

mcflurry4321
07-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Hey now there's no reason to get sarcastic. I didn't download that release. I have the USB one. Thanks for the download.

[XC] DragonOrta
07-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Once I get VMWare up on this computer again, I'll have this going again. Can't have any of you bastages racing past me during a team push. :p: :D

[XC] riptide
07-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Hey now there's no reason to get sarcastic. I didn't download that release. I have the USB one. Thanks for the download.

Forget the USB one. use the iso above. :)

Dragon, i was wondering when you'd move. :) Mely looks like he might have a chance. He blasted by me in style. The bastage! :up:

Paladin
07-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Quick note on Ubuntu (possibly other Debian-based flavors of Linux) to get Sun's Java6 installed:

$sudo dpkg-reconfigure debconf

[select Readline, <tab> to OK (2 times)]

$sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

["y" to install querry, more through the license & type "yes"]

$sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

[it'll remember that you already accepted the license]

Now you should even be able to run the new 0.4.5 Windows version through Wine, if you didn't want to run the older 0.4.3 Linux version.
The debconf cmd is so you'll actually see and be able to accept Sun's license -- it'd fail otherwise.
*-jre package gets "java", *-jdk package gets "javac".

mcflurry4321
07-29-2007, 09:55 AM
OK I've got XSOS installed...but I've got no internet. What do I need to do?

nn_step
07-29-2007, 10:00 AM
try selecting online+lan or manually setting your IP connection

[XC] riptide
07-29-2007, 10:01 AM
OK I've got XSOS installed...but I've got no internet. What do I need to do?

Its been a while since I looked at XSOS, but in the menu system start>>>> and find where you pick 'LAN'. You turn on the net that way. Also, make sure that you VMware is set for bridge networking. Depending on your network. :)

mcflurry4321
07-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Here's another silly question...how do I get Dimes onto XSOS...

[XC] riptide
07-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Ok. 2 ways. Silly way (but it works) is to open a browser and DL. Now in XSOS there is no browser? Or it doens't work right?

So what you do is install VMtools. You may see this prompt in Vmware when you are looking at it. Get XSOS iup and running, install VMtools from a menu in Vmware. This will then allow you to drag and drop the Java, and Dimes install file right onto the XSOS desktop. Run from there.

[XC] gomeler
07-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Starting Virtualbox + XSOS, I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

Frisch
07-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Found the reason why it should be xp pro, and home couldn't run virtual stuff.....ISS is one of the few difference between home and pro, and is needed to run it. : (
Tried to google some solutions, but it could only be installed with a hack ...

[XC] riptide
07-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Upgrade then. Tell turtle it'll be ok.

Frisch
07-29-2007, 08:22 PM
riptide;2338632']Upgrade then. Tell turtle it'll be ok.

So you're saying i should upgrade Turtle, and he'll be A-OK.

But doesn't that just givet me a bootable xp pro Turtle with the possibility for several virtual Turtles :confused: :D

[XC] gomeler
07-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Started using Virtual box and made the mistake of installing XP on 4 virtual machines at one time all on one hdd.. *yawn* For some reason I cannot just copy/paste the VDI files for virtualbox to 'clone' the VMs.. takes me a few minutes to install XP and setup Dimes/Java.

[XC] riptide
07-29-2007, 10:06 PM
So you're saying i should upgrade Turtle, and he'll be A-OK.

But doesn't that just givet me a bootable xp pro Turtle with the possibility for several virtual Turtles :confused: :D

eeeh... ya! :confused:

mcflurry4321
07-29-2007, 10:51 PM
What's the smallest amount of memory I can allocate to a VM running XSOS?

[XC]thewildblue
07-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I have run as low as 40mb and its been responsive.

mcflurry4321
07-30-2007, 05:30 AM
I set it to 44mb and it won't even work. Gives me a low virtual memory error message and just crawls.

Movieman
07-30-2007, 05:35 AM
I'm in..:up:

mcflurry4321
07-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Is it common to be unable to update your user info. Like the client name and your team?

It's doing the work, but I just can't update my user details.

[XC]melymel
07-30-2007, 07:29 AM
I set it to 44mb and it won't even work. Gives me a low virtual memory error message and just crawls.

I've never pushed XSOS too low, I know with tinyxp and DSL it is possible to go to 32mb or less, you may be hitting the lower limit of xsos though. I don't like allocating so little though as it causes the vm's to take too long to boot.

I'm in..:up:

cheers!

Is it common to be unable to update your user info. Like the client name and your team?

It's doing the work, but I just can't update my user details.

Yes, I've encountered it numerous times and I don't know why it is. You may just have to reinstall the client. The easiest way tog o about thing is to setup one vm fine and then just clone it as designating a new name for each client is unnecessary.

:toast:

mcflurry4321
07-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks melymel!

One more question :D I have 64 mb allocated to each VM but it says it's using ~100000k in my task manager on the machine that is running VMWare. Is that right?

[XC] riptide
07-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks melymel!

One more question :D I have 64 mb allocated to each VM but it says it's using ~100000k in my task manager on the machine that is running VMWare. Is that right?

Yes that is ok! Remmebeer that Windows regularly just grabs ram, that it may not be actually using or need. just grabs it for an app. If you started to squeeze the VM's in, the memory per VM would fall. Also make sure that no windows in the vm are open as it uses more ram.

And yes... I can't update user details in the vm's. Thought it was just my problem. :)

nn_step
07-30-2007, 01:26 PM
thewildblue;2336325']Yes but 64bit doesnt allow you to run any more VMs does it ? I suppose you could then install another version of VMware in a another folder and start another 24.

well if you feel that is a limiting factor, you can always use QEMU (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/)
Which allows 2^31 parallel Virtual environments but I must warn you that its Windows edition isn't 100% but it functions flawlessly for 99% of all system calls.

Sparky
07-30-2007, 06:24 PM
I can probably put dimes on a couple of my dedicated crunchers since they have a good web connection. From the sound of it I'm guessing it won't really affect F@H much if at all correct?

[XC]thewildblue
07-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Sparky an individual client on each machine shouldnt make the slightest difference. Makes sense to run the bandwidth projects with the CPU projects as at least your getting more out of your electricity.....lol

Okda
08-02-2007, 06:35 AM
thewildblue;2335787']
SaFrOut if you go into agent andproperties on the client and change it so it looks like below you will get up 240 points per hour per client.

when i set my agent to UDP, i notice that the agent stops doing any activities at all, while when setting it to ICMP the agents work normally

anyone can explain that please ?

[XC] riptide
08-02-2007, 08:57 AM
when i set my agent to UDP, i notice that the agent stops doing any activities at all, while when setting it to ICMP the agents work normally

anyone can explain that please ?

Check the messges tab after you set to UDP. Is it still doing something? :up:

Okda
08-03-2007, 06:20 AM
check the screenshot, this is after changing to UDP and restarting the agent

[XC] riptide
08-03-2007, 07:16 AM
:confused: WTF! Never got that before. And are you getting points? If not now turn back to ICMP.

Okda
08-03-2007, 07:27 AM
i don't know if i am getting any points, cause i haven't tried leaving it for sometime

is it maybe caused by the router firewall or windows firewall ??

Frisch
08-03-2007, 07:39 AM
i don't know if i am getting any points, cause i haven't tried leaving it for sometime

is it maybe caused by the router firewall or windows firewall ??

UDP= User Datagram Protocol, it is when you run your own scripts.

Just let it be on ICMP = Internet Control Message Protocol.

It has nothing to do with firewall.

Okda
08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
so can i find a udp anywhere that will increase my output like [XC]thewildblue suggested ?

Frisch
08-03-2007, 11:50 AM
There's a tab on your interface named User scripts
There are 3 ways to do it, but try and read the help.

The one I used, was the crawl url, you simply put in the URL you want like http://cnn.com, or whatever you like.
You can set the level you wish it to crawl..1 level of links, or if you want to let it go deeper, down to the 4 level.

One thing you must know is, it will take more of your recources...more memory, and more cpu.

Okda
08-03-2007, 12:58 PM
any preferred urls ? or anything will do

and the higher level the more results ?

Frisch
08-03-2007, 01:09 PM
any preferred urls ? or anything will do

and the higher level the more results ?

Anything will do, but yes, there's a difference between the ones you choose.

The deeper you go, the more recources it claims. But the logic here, should be , yes you'll gain more, but also take more recources.

I only did it once, as my main thing is MJ12, it really did take more output.

You need someone with more goes at it, than me.

Okda
08-03-2007, 01:45 PM
ic

thanks a lot for the info

[XC]thewildblue
08-03-2007, 01:55 PM
What happens when you try the test in the agent to see if UDP is blocked. It could be a firewall issue or even an ISP issue. I never actually check the clients to see what they are doing, I just watch the stats, once they drop I reboot a few VMs.

Frisch
08-03-2007, 02:07 PM
thewildblue;2348792']What happens when you try the test in the agent to see if UDP is blocked. It could be a firewall issue or even an ISP issue. I never actually check the clients to see what they are doing, I just watch the stats, once they drop I reboot a few VMs.

The test only reflects what script you are running, dimes scripts equals ICMP, your own script equals UDP. It is not a firewall issue.

Paladin
08-03-2007, 11:34 PM
check the screenshot, this is after changing to UDP and restarting the agent

I got that in Ubuntu (Linux) when the global variable "DISPLAY" wasn't set to the IP address of the NIC. Such as: export DISPLAY="192.168.1.55:0"
There are other global/bash variable that have to be set too. Enough that I declared DIMES to be Linux unfriendly and only run it on Windowz.

Okda
08-04-2007, 03:25 AM
i am using windows here

Paladin
08-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Try going into Agent Properties->Settings and changing the Network Interface from "Default Network Interface" to the "eth0" one from the drop down list.

Other known buggy areas are leave the Splash Screen enabled and Auto update disabled. Both on the same Settings tab as above.

Okda
08-04-2007, 11:32 PM
lol all of ur suggestions above i have them set to the other options

i have splash screen disabled, and autoupdate enabled and the interface set to default, when i go home i will change them and see

my pc is not producing any points since yesterday cause of those errors :(