PDA

View Full Version : Mcw30 vs Maze4 vs Ek for nb/sb 680i

Eddie3dfx
07-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Well yesterday I ruined my evga board again with the swiftech mcw30 on the northbridge.

The issue is in the 4 mount system and the mcw30 is a 2 mount block. When you install it as a spring/hard mount on the northbridge, you are using 2 holes. You will be attaching rubber pieces on the board that are included with the swiftech block. This is so the block is touching the chip and not the rest of the circuits, you guys already know this, but it is inevitable that the block will move since it's mounted on a 2 hole system. Also, the northbridge damages easily, so you cannot install it with force, as it will be broken. Therefore, it is not fully secure as it should be and prone to movement when installing tubing or movement while working.
Twice it moved while moving tubing around and burnt out the board causing the infamous death - - io error on the evga board. It will be Rma'd today.

I figure I would recommend this block for the southbridge, since the southbridge is a 2 hole mount and this would work fine on there, though I'm not sure about interference with the graphic card slot. I would not recommend it for the northbridge, because of it's mount.

I know of 2 other specific 680i northbridge blocks, the ek, and the maze4.

The maze4 has a very specific 4 mounting system that will work perfectly with this chipset. I believe the ek also has a 4 mount system.

What is a better block? They both are around the same price. Since it is a northbridge and I'm not looking for 1-2c temp differences in blocks, I want the one that has the least flow restriction, the best mount, and the one thats least likely to leak.

7499richard
07-27-2007, 06:19 AM
I too am very interested to know these results, I am looking to wc my north brigde, and aircoll my southbridge, but I dont no what to get. I was just going to go with swiftech as both my other blocks are theirs and they work great, but after reading this I am a little skeptical.

Look forward to other members input

kinghong1970
07-27-2007, 06:21 AM
looked at the MCW30, got frightened and swapped it for the EK... ek fits nice except that there is one with some chips very near the mounting hole so no nut and washer there...

silverphoenix
07-27-2007, 06:24 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152686

keep scrolling the 1st post, you'll see the comparo

Eddie3dfx
07-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Well I wouldn't rule out the mcw30 for the southbridge, but it may hit the video card.

Eddie3dfx
07-27-2007, 06:34 AM
Wow, if there could be no better post/link to answer this question!
Exactly what I thought, danger den maze 4 on nb and swiftech on sb.

7499richard
07-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Well that link talks about using a hard mount kit on the swiftech mcw30. Is that a new thing that eddi did not have when he mounted his?

To me temps are not of the utmost importance for the nb, the temps of all three of those bloacks are within 3 degrees of eachother, so I am not really looking at those as they are all good and way better than air. What I am concerned with is the flow part, as my loop has a d5 and 2 triple rads plus a res, apogee gt, and mcw 60 in it already. I want the least restrictive and it looks like the MCW30 is the one for that. Did i intrepret that post correctly, or is one of the others the better for flow.

TBH I have not decided if I am going to wc it now, as all those blocks are pretty restrictive, I think one of those theremaltake or whatever they are air coolers would be better for north and south bridge...I have some deciding to do.

Eddie3dfx
07-27-2007, 07:14 AM
To be fair, I was using the spring mount, since the mcw30 from microcenter only comes with a spring mount and not a hard mount kit.
Though, I don't really see a difference, because it still can be moved from side to side. It is a universal block.
Since I'm looking for pure stability, I think the maze4 block would work the best since it was made/mounted for a 680i.
The mcw30 was not made for a northbridge/southbridge, but do have mounts that are compatible.
When I called up swiftech originally, they sent me more rubber pieces to put under the northbridge, which I did. I had 8 on there, 2 in each corner.... Which really didn't matter since it must of moved and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZap.

Take a southbridge block and when the computer is on, move it just slightly down, the computer will reset itself. Do the same with a northbridge and you will have to rma it :(

Eddie3dfx
07-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Here is a link to what kinghong was talking about

First is the pic, then scroll through the article and it shows he didn't tighten that nut as tight as to not destroy the board.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/254624b06b42c93.jpg

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/cooling/979-water-cooling-680i-antec-p180-build-log-guide.html

St3vil_68
07-27-2007, 08:32 AM
I have the EK680 block and I ended up cutting a roll pin to place between the board and washer/nut and was able to tighten it just fine.

silverphoenix
07-27-2007, 10:11 AM
The MCW30 is ultra free flow, I mean it has almost no restrctions built in except the change in direction the water makes. Petras ships theres with the hardmount. Actually I have an MCW30 for sale with hardmount.

Eddie3dfx
07-27-2007, 12:31 PM
The EK680i block you have, does that use a 4 mount bracket or 2?

St3vil_68
07-27-2007, 01:08 PM
4 bolt. EK-NB EVGA 680i. I got it from Petras