PDA

View Full Version : How can I remove MS messenger altogether?

Tweaked!
06-29-2003, 02:58 PM
I've followed Bulldogs tip here:

"Remove MSN Messenger from your system :

If you'd like Windows Messenger to show up in the list of programs you can add and remove from Windows, navigate to C:WINDOWSinf (substituting the correct drive letter for your version of Windows) and open sysoc.inf (if you cannot see this folder, click on Tools, folder options,view then check "Show hidden files or folders).

Open the sysoc.inf file, you'll see a line that reads:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

Change this to the following:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

You only remove the word hide, nothing else. Save the file. Windows Messenger will appear in Add or Remove Programs, then Add/Remove Windows Components, then , and you can remove it for good. "

and although that did remove it from windows components, I'm still getting the messenger popups. How can I remove all traces of mesenger from the system? Ie: from the registry, etc... There's still got to be some traces of it somewhere for it to be receiving these d*mn popups.

Teus
06-29-2003, 03:57 PM
what popups? where?

Tweaked!
06-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Just popups on the desktop. Like ads trying to get me to install their service to prevent messenger popups (go figure, I'm being hounded by the service thats trying to get me to block them) I'll post some screen shots as soon as the next few pop up

Charles Wirth
06-29-2003, 04:52 PM
click "run"

type in "msconfig"

click services and find "messenger" on list

disable it

Disable anything else there you know you are not using. UPS, smart media, remote access, removable storage, ...

then click on the startup tab and turn off anything you do not want to start up.

Tweaked!
06-29-2003, 06:02 PM
Cool, thanks Fugger. Here's one of the screenies of what Ive been getting.

JeffPH
06-29-2003, 06:17 PM
yea the pop ups piss*s me off too. i just unistalled MSN messenger

sjohnson
06-29-2003, 06:47 PM
MSN Messenger has no connection with Windows Message Service. Different progs.

Not that I like MSN Messenger but removing it won't stop Windows Message Service popups...

Smizack
07-19-2003, 01:09 PM
It's also under admin tools, Services, Messenger. Just disable it.

AcEmAsTr
08-14-2003, 01:39 AM
start>run>msconfig>services>messenger>off

its not actually msn messenger, its a different kind of messenger, built in to windows

DR. YT
08-14-2003, 02:59 AM
no the way to get rid of the grey popups is go to run type in compmgmt.msc then click services and aplications then find the messenger services and duble click it the stop servece. funny story my wife thought i was actuly getting messeges from an ex when it was just that damn thing. needless to say i found a way to get rid of that tootsweet.